ALLOY CAT BUILD

Get help and share Ideas
CTMD

Re: ALLOY CAT BUILD

Post by CTMD »

Lester,

don't forget I draw them not build them....

We have an 8.5m mono with 1300kg of ali and an 8m cat with 1600kg both have similar accommodation and an enclosed head.

The cat has 12 full length continuous water tight welds.

The mono has 5

because the cat parts tend to be narrower you can often get a more efficient nest.

Given all of the above its not unrealistic to expect the cat to be 30-50% more expensive ft for ft, however the 9m cat will be the equivalent of a 10m mono in size and facilities which makes them far more comparable.
Chris Tucker Marine Design
Your Boat Your Way.
www.ctmd.com.au
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Good answer Chris , Thank you.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
keith

Post by keith »

Here is another cat related question for those out there that are more educated than I. If I understand correctly, when you put two outboards on a boat you need to have one prop counter rotate. If this is correct I'm assuming that it's to keep the boat from pitching to one side(?). Would this be the case with a cat since the motors are farther apart or am I totally wrong ?
CTMD

Post by CTMD »

Its normal practice to use counter rotating props, however, I've had people not do it (usually because they got a good deal on engines) and it hasn't been a big issue.
Your Boat Your Way.
www.ctmd.com.au
CTMD

Post by CTMD »

I need to call Greg and see where his project is at. In the mean time, Plate Alloy Australia two weeks ago launched the 8m that has also been discussed in this thread. She's a "little" tall at the owner's request (especially for me at 5'6") but everyone is happy. It doesn't show up well in photos but the colouring on the side is a close up on an abalone shell.
Attachments
port.jpg
port.jpg (235.72 KiB) Viewed 4061 times
stbd.jpg
stbd.jpg (217.59 KiB) Viewed 4061 times
Your Boat Your Way.
www.ctmd.com.au
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic