Those Armstrong deck plates, we have?? (Pacific bothers)

Mods and custom builds
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Those Armstrong deck plates, we have?? (Pacific bothers)

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I surely would have paid more to have what "I guess" is a cast aluminum deck hatch in my boat. Is Pacific using larger and alloy deck plates/hatches from now on?????

I saw a ST sleeper cabin with one.

Not all that happy with the use of the Armstrong deck plates....especially the one over the fuel tank. Mine gets kicked, stepped on and otherwise just beat to all hell. They were made to plug holes in an Armstrong bracket, not be stepped and jumped on.

My gasket got all nasty and tore up, and the leaking onto the top of the fuel tank wasn't good. No pouring, but washdown's of the deck had fish goo, dirt, and just plain nastiness get by and all over the top of my fuel tank.

(spend the bigger $$ and get that welded in cast aluminum one)

The reason for the whole deal is because the Armstrong fits.....barely fits and has no big time depth to it on the underside.
So it fits over (barely with modifications) the sending unit, and fuel necks.

I 'm getting new gaskets from Armstrong since mine are so flattened and do not allow for a secure tight fit.

I want complet water tight and don't care much about EZ access, since I don't need to look or mess with what's down there very often.

I believe I'd almost do better with a plain ole pop-in or screw in deck plate.
But I did find this one: http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/4,134.html
at $250 a pop! Being cast aluminum.....damn I hate plastic. The Armstrongs are plastic.

Could go with plastic in the same version of the cast aluminum one for cheap.

Get the welded in version...damn I wish I knew I may have been able to get mine welded in at the factory, like the photo I saw.

Remember I use and abuse my boat 12 months a year, 1-5 days a week, so I may have different observations.

Anyone save the photo of the Pacific at the factory with the alloy deck plate/hatch welded in?

Just an FYI to my "Pacific" brothers out there.
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Anchorage, Alaska

Re: Those Armstrong deck plates, we have?? (Pacific bothers)

Post by spoiled one »

How about one of these:

They sure are proud of these freeman hatches but they are nearly bullet proof!
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
21ftcc
Donator '09
Your location: Worcester, MA

Post by 21ftcc »

Jetty,

I have the plastic style you show because I have a wood floor and the plastic version is CHEAP like you would think plastic is. When I screwed is down after a new floor install the edge split in half. Had to buy new one and it did the same thing but not as bad. Stay with the cast one.. Also hope its not cast in India, as I have been seeing a lot of bad manhole covers and frames with that are failing under just short use. Just think of walking on a manhole cover and it cracking in half????!!!!! :skillet:
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Yeah, I ended up calling Armstrong and buying replacement "gaskets" for all my deck plates, 8" inside and 6" outside.

Freeman's are nice but you can get a BOMAR that's cheaper. Problems is I can't weld, and the way the deck plate is over the fuel connectioons to the tank there's no room underneath for any cams or mechanicals for a deck plate like your's Spoil One.

I wish I could find (I'll be looking) for that photo of a Pacific with a big hatch in Alloy welded to the deck.

Until I can maybe replace with a nice alloy $250 or so dollar deck plate, I'll just replace gaskets.

If it breaks, F's up, or explodes, I'll have it happen to me. Just ask, I'll probably have destroyed it in one way or another, Just out Fishin'.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Dave, if you don't have a tool ...............Make one .

Get a piece of 1/4" plate, round the corners and bevel the edges [ so we don't cut toes ] , make a template to center punch your holes in the plate and the deck.

After the holes are drilled in the plate , counter sink them so the machine screws will be flush [ maybe use 1/4"X 20 screws ] then drill and tap the deck plate.
Don't forget to use some Anti-seize on the threads .

As you said , you don't need in there very much .........So make it Bullet proof.

Just a thought :wink:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

BIG W......

I knew I liked you for some reason!

K.I.S.S that it!

Yep, I could do that, and if those Armstrong seals on that deck plate give me any more problems I'll just have to make my own, like you said.

Yep, because when I seal the bastard, it won't be with "finger tight" pressure but with some nice "sealant".

Really, how many of us Pacific-brotha's go in and out of that damn Armstrong deck plate more that.....what?
One or twice a year, and that's maybe just for a LOOK-SEE.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Here it is folks. The reason to be part of the AAB.com brotha hood.

Talk it out, and GIT R DONE!!!!!!
Jay Perrotta
Sponsor/Donator
Your location: Freeport, Maine, USA

Post by Jay Perrotta »

Jetty,

You're right about the Armstrong deck plates - they aren't the best solution. Started using a cast aluminum screw-down for the fuel tank access but not yet on the swim platform as one should check that more often.

One hint (especially of you're a gorilla like jetty!). Those Armstrong deckplates work best when the are simply "snug" or "fingertight" - not reefed down with all your might!

The backside dog only pulls along one line and if you screw the heck out of them the alternate two edges raise up - make sense?

In defense - they are a simple, inexpensive, easily replaced item. If you have a screw down aluminum hatch and you break it of snap off a screw or some other issue than you can't simply call Armstrong with $16 in your pocket and fix.....
Jay Perrotta
NUKE

Post by NUKE »

you can't reason with a jetty wolf Jay , his ford pickup truck came with out a radio from the factory , he's been trying for over ten years to get someone in Detroit to come down to Jacksonville FL. and install a radio that should have been installed at the factory . they should have realized that he would have paid more to upgrade from the factory cuz he don't do radios . Just kiddding ... :rotfl:
NUKE
capeannfisherman

Post by capeannfisherman »

I caulked mine shut and will cut the caulk if I have to get in there. The rear one was filling my bilge when I back troll, so I had to do something and that seemed like a simple solution.
Adrian
Night Runner
16/65
21ftcc
Donator '09
Your location: Worcester, MA

Post by 21ftcc »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic