Can I Do This???

Mods and custom builds
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Re: Can I Do This???

Post by S L Dave »

Love that JR!!! I would also love to see a high shot from the stern and some interiors. Perfect design for that boat...and mine too!!
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

There was this one for sale a while back...but I like the look of JR's forward leaning windows much better.

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Thank you Dave, that's the one....I want to see how much fishing space that cabin allowed....

JR's cabin is the one for sure :thumbsup: Please flood us with pics JR :highfive: :beer:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=75
S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

I would like to see those glyde ryde seats too.
jrbaldwin
Donator '08

Post by jrbaldwin »

I will take some updated pictures later this afternoon.

The work was done by Lee Shore Boats out of Port Townsend. They specialized in custom boats for heavy duty service in the NW and Alaska waters. The Owner Jay Brevik died in late September, but I hear that the shop has new owners.

I was look for a tough boat that could take a pounding, is easy to maintain, but comfortable. It is set up for 2 people on long trips or 4 people on shorter trips.

Have several projects to complete yet. Need to add a bilge pump in the sealed hull and add scupper valves to the deck drains, ect.

Jim
22ft Lee Shore Swiftsure, Glyde Ryde Seats, Yahama 150 & 8 HT, 110 gallons fuel
C120 Chart Plotter / GPS / Fishfinder / Radar / AIS / Heading Sensor, DSC VHF
NMEA 2000 & Yamaha Command Link Networks, EPIRB

16.5 Hewsecaft Sea Runner, 40 HP Mercury
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

jrbaldwin wrote:I bought the boat as a bare hull after it had been stolen and stripped.

It was originally a CC. I had the CC removed and a cabin added.

Now I can use the boat year around in comfort. I launch out of Port Townsend and fish, crab & shrimp in the straits where it gets rough and the water is cold most of the year.
The attachment Before.jpg is no longer available
The attachment After.jpg is no longer available
Wasn't that their demo boat? You say someone stole it?

hey, I got one o' those walk around pilot house metal boats too . . . even got the dorky decals off now
P4260002.jpg
P4260002.jpg (230.32 KiB) Viewed 9999 times
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
jrbaldwin
Donator '08

Post by jrbaldwin »

Yes it was their Demo / Shop boat. Was stolen and recovered stripped of everything that could be removed, then they started to cut the boat up to sell for scrap but was to much work. They were caught when they stole a boat from Tacoma, but the Owner had a friend with a plane who spotted them towing the boat north on 101. When the police were closing in they dumped it.

Was looking at adding a walk around cabin but wanted the extra storage space and the ability to overnight.

Jim

jrbaldwin
Donator '08

Post by jrbaldwin »

Here are some more picture of my boat
Side view of boat
Side view of boat
Boat.jpg (77.42 KiB) Viewed 9906 times
Bow View
Bow View
Bow.jpg (80.67 KiB) Viewed 9907 times
Fwd View Cabin
Fwd View Cabin
Fwd View Cabin.jpg (57.85 KiB) Viewed 9905 times
Glyde Ryde Seats
Glyde Ryde Seats
Glyde Ryde Seat.jpg (56.45 KiB) Viewed 9903 times

And a picture of my other toy.
Other Toy.jpg
Other Toy.jpg (74.61 KiB) Viewed 9904 times
Jim

S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

You have a lot of cool stuff Jim!!

What do you think AT? That is a winning design for me.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

S L Dave wrote:You have a lot of cool stuff Jim!!

What do you think AT? That is a winning design for me.
One of the finest cabin designs I've seen on a boat this size. The windshield tilted forward gives it that rugged NW look :thumbsup:

JR do you have a shot of the actual walk are around the cabin? How much walk room does this allow for access to the bow?

Thanks for posting the additional pics :thumbsup: Gotta put a pencil to all this now :beer:
S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

AT, Jim's boat looks almost exactly like your original sketch.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

S L Dave wrote:AT, Jim's boat looks almost exactly like your original sketch.
I'd say :thumbsup: Sent some of the pics to Jack...waiting to hear back from him on the est. $$$$....Also need to put a tape measure to this and see how much fishing room I'd have aft, and asked JR for a bow pic showing the walkway...it may be possible to make this happen afterall :beer: :beer: :beer: Can ya tell I like the BeerCon :mrgreen:
S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

Even though the boat is on a bit of an angle and my math skills evaporated when I finished college, it looks like it is about 8' or 9' from transom to the cabin.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Right now I have about a 5' X 7' aft fishing area but people always choose to fish along side the helm station and even in the bow.......I would loose the majority of that with a cabin added to my boat....but with a 26' :thumbsup:
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Did JR say his boat was a walk around? Hard to tell but cabin looks full width to me in his pics.
jrbaldwin
Donator '08

Post by jrbaldwin »

Was looking at a walk around but wanted a trunk cabin to lock out all my safety equipment and overnight, so went full width.

The walk space is 12" at the rear of the cabin and 10" at the fwd end.
Walkway.jpg
Walkway.jpg (45.7 KiB) Viewed 9748 times
The inside of the cabin is 6'-5 1/2" and the clearance between the seats is 23 1/2". Probably should have made the cabin 4" narrower for a wider walkway to the bow. Also could have added a bow hatch, but it might have been a leak problem. With the overhead insulation the cabin stay extremely dry inside.

The cabin has 4'-5" long floor space, with 2 seats and room for 2 people to sit behind the seats and is 6' at the base of the windows.

The fishing space is 5'-6" long x 6'-11" wide with a total width of 8'-6" and the transom/motor well is 3'-3"

I was looking at making it and extended transom and 8' of fishing area, but decided not worth the cost as usually only fish with 2-3 people and would have been to long to launch at nearest boat ramp at Port Hadlock.

So added an foldaway fish cleaning station, downrigger weight storage locker and a line locker in the motor well. The battery locker is also located in the motor well. Also added a 25 gallon aux fuel tank against the aft bulkhead.
stern.jpg
stern.jpg (54.82 KiB) Viewed 9749 times
Jim

jrbaldwin
Donator '08

Post by jrbaldwin »

The Bow walkway is 10" wide around the trunk cabin.
Bow walkway.jpg
Bow walkway.jpg (50.99 KiB) Viewed 9734 times
The Bow rails and trunk cabin are 16" high.

Jim

S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

Love the boat Jim! Thanks for taking the time to share the pics with us. :thumbsup:
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

S L Dave wrote:Love the boat Jim! Thanks for taking the time to share the pics with us. :thumbsup:
I second that.....great layout.....the way I would build it :thumbsup: Thanks very much for all the info :thumbsup:
keith

Post by keith »

I did a google search for Glyde Ryde seats and found a post from another web site that pointed out some suspension seats sold by Tractor Supply. Item # 1238169. They sell for about $100. I'm sure they aren't as good as the Glyde Ryde, but would work on a tight budget.
Challenge
Donator 08, 09,10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22

Post by Challenge »

Hey Alloy,

Here is one....

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... =1984&url=

I like your Ideas!!!
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Challenge wrote:Hey Alloy,

Here is one....

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... =1984&url=

I like your Ideas!!!
Unique :thumbsup:
Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor »

Alloy:

I have to go with the west coast walk around modified to a V berth design. I love those pilot houses.....

I like the elevated walkway idea....... To bad you did not have a 26 or 28 then you could stretch a little bit more.

Man I cannot imagine giving up deck space ! I am spoiled with my 26. You get real used to just poping up in the bow area to fight and keep the line free of the prop and man can a giant spin a Pacific ! Just like blowing around on a drift.....

Whatever you decide just take your time.....no rush ......and you can always just buy another hull ready turn key if you think its going to be a mess of an idea.
taco

Post by taco »

Some nice ideas here. With a 23' outboard powered boat with an 8.5 beam, I would want to keep as much of the mid-ships open, accessible and level with the main deck as possible to allow more fishing room, access to trolled lines etc.. eliminating the need for a second station on a 23 foot boat. While a full width cabin would be fine for fishing two people, Having a third or fourth fisherman would make for a crowd in a 5x7 cockpit with a motor in the way. One solution would be to go with jay's supercab idea (I think 4' wide), leave the back open (maybe a slightly rear extended roof), under a rear facing (lift-up) seat put in a large (perhaps custom-built ice hold) or livewell (depends on how much live bait fishing you do). You could also put another ice chest (igloo, iceytek etc...) in front of the engine on the stern (can never have enough for the tuna). For the enclosure put sliding doors on both sides in front of the leaning post (if it's nice you can run/troll with them open) if it is nasty slide them shut. This would give a cabin with seating for 4 that is highly accessible and well protected from spray. Put in the raised deck just forward of the supertop house 12-16" elevation above the main deck (I think the gunnel boxes taper out, here. This will allow for an accessible level deck for at least 2/3 of the length of the boat. For the elevated deck try to keep it 1 foot wide all the way around the forward cabin. You may want to add a decent bow rail for added security up front, as well as holds on the v-berth roof. Go with a foward leaning windshield on the supertop cabin. To get down below, you could enter through the side of the console or through an entry next to the helm --there are plusses/minuses with each configuration. While not exactly spacious, With the raised deck, the vberth would be significantly more roomy than witth level deck version of the supercab sleeper on the blm website (although you do sacrifice the 360 degree level deck. This is the cool thing with aluminum-- the customization possibilities are endless, all it takes is money :mrgreen: These customiztions will add some weight to the boat, so more power may be warranted. Please post your build picks if you decide to customize!
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Alloy
Have you located the Windows yet for your proposed pilothouse? I am thinking of cutting off my windshield and putting on a hardtop like your drawing.

First project is enclosing my recessed open bow. In the PNW most Al boats have a recessed bow that have holes cut into the aft corners that drain any water that should get into the area. Problem is that it will take a few minutes to drain t5he 65 gallons or so that can fill it. Plus the anchor rope is stored up forward in the recess and it drains into the bilge.

Need to replace the Wife's camera. Broke the back viewing screen on a recent fish trip. She does not yet know. or I would be mince meat now :deadhorse:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic