WHO HAS A KICKER BRACKET ON THEIR BLM/PACIFIC?

Mods and custom builds
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

WHO HAS A KICKER BRACKET ON THEIR BLM/PACIFIC?

Post by JETTYWOLF »

big W and I were talkin the other day and I was listing verbally all the stuff I now wish I had on my boat but no way could afford or just didn't think about at the time.

IE: side bump rails, wind shield wiper etc.

Maybe Pacboat1 or Mr. Jay can chime in here.

Welder said that a BLM/Pacific that has a kicker motor bracket has not only the bracketry, but extra supports in that area of the transom????

Anyone with pics of said extra supports? Or pics showing the entire deal?

Just gee wizz info, and was wondering that's all.
Can't do either of the mods I'd like.

But incase a waterfall of cash comes my way someday I'd like to have the knowledge of what it all looks like.
PacBoat1
Sponsor

Re: WHO HAS A KICKER BRACKET ON THEIR BLM/PACIFIC?

Post by PacBoat1 »

There's a couple of photos in the gallery that may help explain the "extra support" on the kicker brackets
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

One of the last 23ST with the kicker and complete controls got me drooling.
Can't see any detail.

My question really is, could a kicker bracket be made by you the factory, sent to me and then to complete it, be welded on here in Florida by someone. Or is there some kind of bracketry I don't see? That makes for a complicated non-EZ installation/weld-on????

I have never seen a up close photo, and don't know if there's somekind of hidden supoorts or welds somewhere. I'm assuming, that all Kicker brackets are the same and so are the patforms on a 23, 26 etc.

Thanks,
PacBoat1
Sponsor

Post by PacBoat1 »

Does this help?
Attachments
kicker bracket.jpg
kicker bracket.jpg (107.07 KiB) Viewed 11342 times
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Yep, that sort of does...but doesn't answer my entire question.

can that be bought (OEM) and welded on? (I like things factory approved.) Remember, I'm no fabricator, no welder, no machinist, just a 'without' business charter fisherman.

Is that xtra piece on the end of the platform part of the "needed added strength". The piece with the hole in it?

This is all FYI for everyone here. And incase I can catch that drool and trade it in for a kicker motor for my boat someday.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

RE-OPEN THIS TOPIC :popcorn:

What does someone have to know about "Kickers"....let's hear it.

Thoughts?

I was sent to a mystery page "galleries" by PacOne, that "explained" the extra supports on the kicker bracketry.

Shaft length of Kicker?

Type prop?

steering options?

Pricing?

Buy bracket from Pacific? Have one fabricated?

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... id=1778409
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Dave, how you rig it and control it depends somewhat on how you want to use it. Here in the PacNW we use them for slow trolling oftentimes they have their own autopilot and remote controls. You using yours as an emergency get home? Something to just hold a spot in current?
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Well to "afford" to do this I'd have to sell my "spare Honda 225". And my dad's really trying to talk me out of that.

I'd either have to get Pacific to send me all the pre-fabed bracket and supports and they certainly don't do any thing like that cheap (experience talking)
And have it welded on here, or show them pics here and have them make one just like they do for me.

I'd want it to troll, and hold in current. Found a nice steering bracket on line called a http://www.marinetechproducts.com/pages/EZSteerHome/

But then again....what about throttle? So there's a ton to think about.

I figure sell the 225 Honda for 6K spend 4K on all this with a new 10 HP Honda kicker.......Because a electric trolling motore bow mounted with 3 batteries and charger and a plate welded to mount it, plus a custom length shaft (found a minn kota shaft up to 96" long availible) Would add weight take up space and be a pain in the azz.

So, I'd love to have a small kicker instead. But when ya have no cash, its a pipe dream, because I'm piped out.
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

Jetty, How far from your bow deck to the water???
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

J'Wolf, the long extension arms of the picture of the add-on kicker bracket show that the only required framing is to distribute the load of the couple hundred lb. engine over about 16-20" forward of the aft of the existing engine cantilever.

This (the added framing) is done by the two 3/8" (visual estimate) plates that are cut to long 'arms' and are welded to the top of the engine/swim platform extension horizontal plate. The load of the engine is aft and under the cantilever platform and this is handled by the long 'legs or arms' of the bracket shown.

Next, while I can't see the framing forward of the little transom, that piece is just a plate -1/2" or 3/8" and so the main 'bracket' is just a set of three or four plates welded to one another in a U, then the longer legs are welded atop the existing platform.

The kicker is higher than the engine because the boat will be in displacement mode when this engine is in use. So the depth of prop is planned to be higher than the planing engine's prop but I can't see the dimension from the photo so I'd guess at 3 to 4" higher than your main's transom plate?

Last, this unit need not be welded but could be bolted to the engine cantilever if you needed too? The long legs of the arms shown, could be welded to a plate that was a 'doubler' of the existing horizontal engine cantilever and then the entire plate (with the arms welded to it) could be bolted through the original engine mount's horizontal plane.

Of course, since I don't know what it looks like UNDER that horizontal surface, I can't tell if the bolt on will have long or short bolts.

The steering can be as simple as a tie bar with the main, or independent if needed. Pretty simple weld on, but I'm not sure of how close you are to reliable Miracle Metal boat welders? Nearest one to you I know is all the way up in GA!

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
kmorin
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

wheww.......You said a mouthful.

Yeah, I'm "collecting" all bracket and kicker photos I can. Welder Bob told me that it could be bolted on, also. Which would be very nice. And a good way to store the whole shootin match if i was to take it all off at any point.

I have a crack welder team here. Kinda like Orange County Choppers on cable TV. They do aluminum fencing and steps and stairs as the main biz.
And have broke into doing some serious T-tops and even told me no problem with side rail bumpers. Showing a catalog full of shapes to choose from.

I looked into a Nissan/Tohatsu kicker, 8.9HP electric start/pull start & Electric Trim and Tilt. 25" shaft new will set me back approx. $2,300.

So I figure while fishing I need to find a bag of drug deal gone bad money out floating somewhere that contains at least 5K. And I can get it all done and done right.

I want a separate steering, and maybe even a throttle . Since this will be like a Trolling motor for me.

Found these folks that have it all:

[BBvideo 560,340]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gQTXozqATY[/BBvideo]

OR..the cheaper version:

[BBvideo 560,340]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x97N7LRaMbc[/BBvideo]

AS MY DAD ALWAYS TELLS ME. "IT'S JUS A MATTER OF MONEY"
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Panther has it all.

Easy steer is made here in Everett, WA.

Welder Bob Can make you the Bolt on bracket and Ship it to ya cheaper than Kevin, Pacific or I can.

Or order one from SaltBoss. Nicely Made here in the PNW the link is below with some pictures. Not see the Quality Plastic Boat Manufacturers using them.
http://www.saltbossmarine.com/fixedbrackets.html
saltboss.jpg.png
saltboss.jpg.png (235.39 KiB) Viewed 10983 times

Vertical Transom
($375*)

OMC "Down"***
Garelick "Down"
Arima standard

select transom angle
select length 10"-15"
Specified beam angle to achieve a specific height or location
Custom Vertical Transom (Starting at $400)
Squarel1.jpg
Squarel1.jpg (4.74 KiB) Viewed 10983 times
Bolt on Swim Step ( $350-375*)

Options Color
Standard Mounting Holes
Color
Specified Mount Holes

Notes
Included in standard price Customization fees apply depending on complexity. (No charge for most customizations done with the boat at our facility)

*Cash prices - for credit cards add 2.5% service charge assessed by card companies. Sales tax for Washington state residents and shipping charges extra.

**Garelick and other articulated bracket manufactures strictly warn against trailering your boat with the kicker attached to their brackets. http://www.garelick.com/files/12.295.pdf

***Down position brackets closely match the dimensions of the OMC and Garelick 71090 series brackets in their full extended down position
Copyright 2010-2012 SALTBOSS™
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Sabs28

Post by Sabs28 »

JETTYWOLF wrote:.Because a electric trolling motore bow mounted with 3 batteries and charger and a plate welded to mount it, plus a custom length shaft (found a minn kota shaft up to 96" long availible) Would add weight take up space and be a pain in the azz.
Hey Jetty,

Where is this "96 inch shaft" from Minn Kota you are talking about???? :popcorn:
Kknomad
Donator '13

Post by Kknomad »

It appears these folks offer an aftermarket 96" shaft: http://bowfishingextreme.com/TrollingMt ... motors.htm
Sabs28

Post by Sabs28 »

That should work. :thumbsup:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic