Silent Running Noise Attenuating paint

Mods and custom builds
Bob5292

Silent Running Noise Attenuating paint

Post by Bob5292 »

Has anyone used this product. I know there are a few other products on the market but this one looks pretty easy to use. They have a 1 gallon bucket with sprayer for $120.

http://silentcoating.com/sr_1000.html

Bob
Bullshipper

Re: Silent Running Noise Attenuating paint

Post by Bullshipper »

I dunno, I wonder if it will work???

Noise starts to become bothersome when it goes over 70 dba, and this product clams it will cut noise by 6-8 dba, IF the paint heats the transmission. 10% is not much of reduction in my mind.

Since an aluminum hull is so conductive to the water temperature around it, wouldn't the water prevent the hull and paint from heating up to knock down the sound, making it less effective than it might be?

And assuning that if you spray just the bottom inside on a 23 x 8.5' hull with its stringers, that adds about 90 lbs of weight on on surface, and if it weighs 10 lbs per gallon that's $1000 in paint.

Usually you get around 3-4 mils dft per coat of paint, so to get 50 mils, that seems like a lot of work just spraying.

Spraying more adds 1/2 a lb of weight per ft2 of surface. 3/16" alloy weighs about 3 lbs per square foot, so another 1/2 lb is signicant, isn't it?

So I dunno. $1000 will buy a lot of flotation foam which we know deadens sound well, and it will also float your boat.
warthog5

Post by warthog5 »

That stuff would be something I would look at for a engine box like on a I/O where space is limited. Not for a whole hull.
"Just 'cause it's New, doesn't mean it's worth a Damn."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic