KIcker suggestions for PAcific 26

Mods and custom builds
Tin Man

KIcker suggestions for PAcific 26

Post by Tin Man »

I would like to add a kicker to the factory-installed kicker bracket on my Pacific 26ST, Ideally I would like a Yamaha (because I have a Yammie F250 and it would look pretty if the motors matched). Any thoughts on HP, prop-size, hi-thrust, steering and lowering options would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

GREAT QUESTION!!!!!

I'd like to know some details too. Even though I opted to not have the "kicker bracket" put on...wish I did.

And an windshield wiper too.
NUKE

kicker

Post by NUKE »

My friend cdkhunter had a V23HT with a kicker ,Honda 225 + 9.9 looked cool all matched color and brand . he had that setup because he hunted in Casco bay in the dead of winter and needed to be able to return to port if suffering a failure of the 225 . no seatow in dec and jan here ! His kicker had its own fuel and ran with tiller handle
NUKE
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

I had a kicker n my previous boat. It was a pc. of mind but honestly never used it. These 4 strokes are like plane engines. Incredible if properly maintained.

As far as the wiper. An easy add on Capt. Dave. The only thing I would do is add a delay. The standard wiper they supply is way to fast for the light mist days. I had a delay on my Maritime Skiff and it was perfect. You could time the wiper to the waves and water over the bow :D
NUKE

kicker

Post by NUKE »

A friend of mine had an occasion to need a kicker ,Pacific 2325HT with Honda 225 quit in the Kennebec river and was at the mercy of the Mighty River ,fast mad water if you ever get there on a falling tide ! He had the presence of mind to toss the anchor and radio for assistance .Turns out that the failure was due to an electrical conection I think if my memory serves me .
An embarrasing moment for sure in a new boat with friends and in trecherious water no less ! He purchessed the kicker soon after . I hope he forgives me for telling his story . I live vicariously through the experiences of others :wink:
NUKE
welder
Site Admin

Re: KIcker suggestions for PAcific 26

Post by welder »

Tin Man wrote:I would like to add a kicker to the factory-installed kicker bracket on my Pacific 26ST, Ideally I would like a Yamaha (because I have a Yammie F250 and it would look pretty if the motors matched). Any thoughts on HP, prop-size, hi-thrust, steering and lowering options would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark
Mark , I would go with about 10 HP on the kicker as you can do only hull speed [ wont get you on a plane ] also you can put a Y valve in line back there , its a must , to select what motor.

A 10 HP on your boat would give you a good trolling speed and not put hours on the big motor.

Some will say that the biggest reason for motor shut down is FUEL now days and I agree with them so at least one 6 GAL tank to go with it would be a good idea for those loooong trips south of ya.
Not tomention you have a 6gallon reserve if a fellow boater runs out.

Give Kenny a call for the motor .

Lester
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

The Yamaha 8 high thrust is what usually gets put on around here (even if your main motor is different) because it has the tilt/trim and lashes up well with remote controls, pilots, etc. Fishing for salmon requires a lot of moving between different areas then quick deployment of the kicker for trolling so we like the Yam 8 because of that frequent routine. If all you want is a get-home to be used once in awhile then 9.9 hi thrust/tiller is less bucks and easier to take off and on.
Megabyte

Post by Megabyte »

Yamaha 9.9 High Thrust (with the long shaft) is what you want.
Capt. Kevin ~~~><((((*>

326 First Street, Suite 14
Annapolis, MD
866-735-5926
Mid-Atlantic distributor for Pacific plate alloy boats
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

I have a buddy that runs a 15hp Honda (non high thrust) on his 25ft. Skipjack Fisherman.
Uses it mostly for trolling in freshwater.
If you can handle the extra cost, electric start and power trim would be nice.
I'm running a Yamaha 9.8 high thrust w/electric start on my 22' Bayrunner. @ idle in gear I do around 1 knot. @ WOT around 5 knots.
Having a kicker will get you out of trouble.
You won't get there fast, but you will get there. :wink:
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic