Winter projects

Mods and custom builds
Sculpin

Winter projects

Post by Sculpin »

Ok let's hear em.

I'm taking advantage of the Lowrance trade in program going on right now. I'm trading in my old LCX-111 for the new HDS 10. Installing the 3G radar as well and have to figure out how I want to mount it. Might have to re-arrange my rocket launchers and cross bar at the rear of the cabin and raise it up or some thing.

Reworking the trailer is a must. New aluminum channel bunks with some sort of UHMW strips etc. lights, brakes, etc.

If I get really ambitious I may do a major on the bench seating arrangement in the cabin. I have never liked having to lift the cushions up to get at stuff under there. We always have things sitting on the seats and you have to move it all to lift up the cushion to get to the storage area below.

What are your plans for projects or upgrades to your alloy boats this winter?
Last edited by Sculpin on Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Jay D

Re: Winter projects

Post by Jay D »

my winter project will be finishing the rigging on my new hewescraft 220 op ht,et.having most of it done at the dealer but i will be adding 2 temp/speed probes,led spreader lights,red leds in the hard top and maybe a custom removable rear bulkhead with a sliding door for those cold nasty days in the spring and fall.
hewescraft 220 ocean pro ht,et
225,9.9 hondas
garmin 7212
garmin gxm 51
garmin ghp 10
garmin tr-1
simrad nse 12
simrad bsm 2
simrad 4g radar
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

My winter project will be trying not to cry every time I open the garage door & see my boat sitting there not being used. :hammer: :deadhorse: :skillet: :banghead: :gunner2: :nutkick:
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

I just picked up the HDS10 and a HDS7 with the 3G broadband radar dome as a stand alone radar system. The 10" unit replaces my LCX-111 for the rear fishing cockpit and will serve as GPS and fish finder but mostly as a fish finder. I'm probably going to get the structure scan system as well shortly. I like the hub it comes with for linking to other other head units. The new 7" unit replaces my dated LCX 16 ci which was a stand alone fish finder sonar unit up front next to my Global map 7200 (which I will keep as a stand alone GPS chartplotter as it is only 3 years old).

I'll start a thread with pic's showing the installation etc..

Cheers,
Sculpin
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Jay D wrote:my winter project will be finishing the rigging on my new hewescraft 220 op ht,et.having most of it done at the dealer but i will be adding 2 temp/speed probes,led spreader lights,red leds in the hard top and maybe a custom removable rear bulkhead with a sliding door for those cold nasty days in the spring and fall.
A custom removable bulkhead would be cool Jay D. If you do get going on it please post up pic's and tell us about it.

Cheers,
Sculpin
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Ordered up 245 LBS of Aluminum. Consists of 3" "U" Channel, 1.5" "L" Angle 1.250" Schedule 40 6063 pipe. and the .125" thick plate for decking. From a certain Local Boat Builder near me. I will follow Dale aka Ratherbefishin's idea for a self bailing deck for my Northriver. I will be raising the floor 6" or so to do so. I am looking for ideas for the scuppers. I will be making 6" X 6" boxes that will be welded into the aft corners of the boat each side that the U channels will dump into.

I will also add the 4th air ride seat Plus if it all goes smoothly I might have some other Ideas.

John Any info on the Lowrance Trade Up program I have the LCX 113 that is having issues now. I am about to send it in for repair.
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

goatram wrote:Ordered up 245 LBS of Aluminum. Consists of 3" "U" Channel, 1.5" "L" Angle 1.250" Schedule 40 6063 pipe. and the .125" thick plate for decking. From a certain Local Boat Builder near me. I will follow Dale aka Ratherbefishin's idea for a self bailing deck for my Northriver. I will be raising the floor 6" or so to do so. I am looking for ideas for the scuppers. I will be making 6" X 6" boxes that will be welded into the aft corners of the boat each side that the U channels will dump into.

I will also add the 4th air ride seat Plus if it all goes smoothly I might have some other Ideas.

John Any info on the Lowrance Trade Up program I have the LCX 113 that is having issues now. I am about to send it in for repair.
That sounds like an ambitious project goatram.........hmmm oh yeah you already built a fort for it (very ambitious project). Pretty cool that your going for it. Make sure you post pic's of the progress from start to finish!! By the time your done with Tin Lizzie you could have bought a Seahawk O/S :shocked: .

I don't know if the Lowrance deal is regional , Canadian, or what but I would go ask your Lowrance dealer about a trade up program. You can't afford not to. PM me if you like.

Cheers,
Sculpin
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

goatram

Post by goatram »

Time is free unless the State gets involved. I Like to build things and Have projects. Someday I would like to build a Cold Water designed Boat in the 27 to 29' range for my comfort and for the fun.

Also the wood floor is starting to show its age and instead of buying new wood and Vinyl the Alloy floor is a better deal in the long run. This was my idea when I built the Fort just ran out of time. I will start the build in a week or two. :smitty:
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

I hear ya on the labour thing. Didn't mean anthing but some ribbin with the O/S thing. Gotta love working on your own boat that is for sure. You get to know her very intimately. I do appreciate that big time. Look forward to your post's during the build of your self bailing deck.

Cheers,
John
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

wetwhopper

Post by wetwhopper »

I'm looking to build an aluminum pipe drain plug doodad. I have the capability to pump in seawater into my forward fish box. I want my box to almost fill up before water would drain through the center of the aluminum pipe and then back down out of the boat. It would keep my crab fresh and could also be used for a live bait storage box. When fishing I just pull the pipe out bleed the fish in my aluminum fish cradle (located in the forward fish box) and the blood drains out through the drain hole. No bloody decks for me!

I'm considering building a dedicated aluminum storage box with a hinged lid directly in front of the center console.

Also need to add a windshield wiper and a manual bilge pump to go with my automatic pump.

I need to fabricate a halibut spear with an aluminum shaft that can float.

Finally, need to fabricate an aluminum or stainless steel arm to connect my kicker to my main so I can steer the kicker.

:thumbsup:
"A lean dog is a mean dog and the mean dog always gets the bone!"
ReelSong

Post by ReelSong »

This winter, I will finish the wood trim work in the new offshore boat, outrigger changes and a few other small items. The river boat left two weeks ago so I'll start the new open guide sled in another week or so.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Just pulled mine out of the drink to finish up a few needed things that never got done during the repower. Think I might put the trim tabs back on it that were there when the boat had I/O's. The boat porpoises too easily and I'd like to be able to drop the nose down when running slow in chop without trimming the motor in excessively. I really need another seat in the cabin but the space in there is limited. Going to try and come up with something that hinges up from the stbd sidewall. Got to finish plumbing a small livewell, install a small ff on the cockpit control station mainly so its easy for the crew to see how deep to run the downriggers, finish installing the Lowrance sidescan black box, etc. bottom paint needs a scrub and another coat . . .
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Figured the Honda is broken in enough (way outa warrenty) now for me to go to 100% synthetic. So......I busted the bank and jus' changed my oil and filter and went with all Royal Purple 10-30, and the new RP oil filter. Next I'll add RP grea lube, I suppose.

Went to a Oil/Grease seminar at my fishing club last Thursday. Learned a TON.

#1 thing was what "lithium" grease is all about. Not really the best thing to use in trailer bearings!! Watched a few really cool demo's between "Soapy Lithium", and really good syn-moly grease. So I'm also experimenting with various trailer bearing greases. Really tired of seeing the bearing grease "easily" mix with saltwater and get all "thin".

Winter projects..........FISH, MAKE $$, FISHING, CATCH LOADS OF T-Rex Troutz!

Winter here is my favorite season of all. But right now can do w/out the gale force winds.
Can't make $$ in it.

I'll watch ya'll come up with cool forts, fort doors, decks inside forts etc.... :rotfl: :rotfl:

Chaps, yeah keep us posted with pics. Ya know I can't get enough of that boat of yours. Love that Porta-bracket!!!!!!!
peterbo3
Contributor

Post by peterbo3 »

What is this WINTER that causes the cessation of boating??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

peterbo3 wrote:What is this WINTER that causes the cessation of boating??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You buggar! :mrgreen:

This is what might be coming for us up here in Canuckville.

That picture is from 08 and I sure hope we don't get that again. :skillet:
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

goatram

Post by goatram »

John and Pete us in the Washington State are experienced the same thing in 08. I had three feet of the stuff on the ground around Christmas. I am 2 miles frome the sound/water but at 500' elevation
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

goatram wrote:John and Pete us in the Washington State are experienced the same thing in 08. I had three feet of the stuff on the ground around Christmas. I am 2 miles frome the sound/water but at 500' elevation

I'm sure you experienced it too John. Did it stick around for 6 freakin weeks?
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic