Sharpie for layout..

Mods and custom builds
AcctTwrs

Sharpie for layout..

Post by AcctTwrs »

Has anyone else noticed.... When laying out parts such as bulkheads stringers and frames... a Sharpie doesn't last as long as it use to... Fine point sharpies for small parts and the big boys for lay out of stringers and other required lines
I buy them in 4 packs and keep them in the fridge so they don't dry up.
I'm going to use my next pack and take a closer look how long the thing lasts... :banghead:
gandrfab

Re: Sharpie for layout..

Post by gandrfab »

I have not stored mine in the fridge, does it help?
AcctTwrs

Re: Sharpie for layout..

Post by AcctTwrs »

GandRfab.... Yes it helps immensely. I usually buy a pack or two... and put them in the fridge. Use them as you need them PRN.... and they would last till I eventually smash the tips on them... by that time they are just about gone anyway... Lately... they seem to run out faster than ever... I'm not doing anything different. They usually go home with me in my shirt pocket in the A/C all night.. Now they run out before I mash the tip... this is a matter of a few days as apposed to a month or so... Sure if you leave them in direct sunlight or in your shop at night less A/C then they will run out faster... I used a large Sharpie to layout my stringer locations. A total of ten lines @ 18ft.
Only 180 ft. Right...!! Had to use 2 of the stupid things and both where spent... doesn't follow..
Something is wrong here...
I realized early on Sharpies dirty little secret... As soon as I would buy a pack... I would open the pack and tighten all the caps... as they are not seated properly from the factory... Remove the plastic cap and recap each pen before you store them. When they come from the factory the cap is ajar ever so slightly allowing the ink to dry up faster than usual..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic