Bulwark Cap

Mods and custom builds
ehsvp

Bulwark Cap

Post by ehsvp »

I'm working on completing a '28 foot sport fisherman made entirely of aluminum. Is there an alternative to round pipe when forming the top rail of the bulwark? I' was thinking about other options, possibly something with a flat top.
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Re: Bulwark Cap

Post by goatram »

Look at your smaller boats i.e. Northriver, Hewescraft, North West Jets, Boulten,and Raider are some that I know of that use formed sections for the top capped. You can use square tube for your railings. Be mindful that most of the accessories are made to fit the round pipe. Your boat, your building her do what you like. Someone will like it and buy it from you when you get old and senile and can't fish anymore :rotfl:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
John@Ironwood

Post by John@Ironwood »

Hi

Square tube is used but if the boat has a swept shear line square tube needs to be formed in 2 direction. The causes it to twist as such the top of the tube does not like to stay flat side to side. Not impossible but I'd say it is 3 time harder putting square tube on a straight sheer line than a swept shear line.....unless you have jig to wrap it in or a CNC rolling macbine.

I've also used both rectangular tube and channel. Both have 2 time the headaches that the square tube has.

Take Care
John
tazmann

Post by tazmann »

Here is one idea small scale compared to what your doing but its broke up in halves
Tom
Attachments
IMG_0698.jpg
IMG_0698.jpg (56.33 KiB) Viewed 3442 times
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic