What Sized Outboard Motor???

Mods and custom builds
choyero

What Sized Outboard Motor???

Post by choyero »

Hi, I am new here and looking for a little info from guys who know. I have ordered a custom build Pacific Skiff 21ft center console with hardtop. It is a new model and I think I may be the first build of this size. They are removing the motor bracket from the 23 ft and a few more inches of length to come up with 21ft. The boat will be equipped with a transom mounted motor with a splash well. It has all the same specifications as the 23, just shorter. I ordered a 150 Honda motor but now I am wondering if the new 200F Yamaha would be more appropriate with its power and light weight. Can anybody weigh in on which motor would be a good fit for this size?
MacCTD

Re: What Sized Outboard Motor???

Post by MacCTD »

Sounds like a cool boat, I have a 1925 which I assume is similar only smaller. A 150 wil probably be sufficient, I have a 90 on mine, my top speed is about 33mph. The only time I want more power is when it is very calm out and I am trying to get somewhere, like in the morning going to a fishing spot. What is the boat rated for?
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

I've heard mixed reviews on the new 200 Yam. Do a search over on thehulltruth.com, there is a long discussion on that motor. What service dealers do you have down there? If there is a Suzuki shop that can provide your warranty work and parts I'd also look at the Zuke 4cyl 175hp.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
choyero

Post by choyero »

Thanks gentlemen. The new boat will be kept up on Salt Spring Island in BC and will double as a fishing and prawning boat. There will be little need for huge speed but efficiency is quite important with the cost of fuel running so high in the provence. In Baja I have a 21ft Regulator with a 200 HPDI which I am going to sell. It goes like a bat out of hell but is heavier than the aluminum boat. So far Pacific Skiffs does not have any specifications or ratings for the new build so I am trying to extrapolate approximate weights and power needs between the 23 and the 21. I am not sure I will get a chance to take pictures until the project is complete since I am down here in the tropics at the moment but will be up to pick up the boat when it is scheduled to be completed in June.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Nice! One of those guys that spends the winter in Mexico and summers in the PacNW . . . break out the violins fellas, we love to help people dealing with tormented lives :rotfl: :rotfl:
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

I would go with the biggest motor they are willing to hang on the transom. 1. It is nice to have the power in reserve & not have to worry if the boat can get out of it's own way when loaded. 2. It is easier on the motor to not have to work as hard. I have been on a 26' Pacific Super Top with the 300 Suzuki, VERY quite motor & pushed the boat very well. I have been on a Pacific 23' hardtop with a Honda 225 & it pushed the boat very well. I would go with a 200 minimum on a 21 footer. I have a 90 HP Mercury 4 Stroke on my 17' Lund, could have gone with a 125 for an extra $600-$800, In hind-site, I should have. If you plan on keeping the boat for a long time, spend the money now & get it over with. I am looking at $40K+ to power my next bundle of debt. :rotfl: :rotfl: If you want to have fun, you have to spend $$$.

Pictures of the build would be nice. Peezer had his whole build documented of his 26'. A phone call to Pacific may not hurt with such a request. :popcorn:

S L Dave has a 23' without the transom platform, Maybe he can chime in on specs & power. :popcorn:

Good luck & keep us informed. :popcorn:
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

I would opt for a motor in the 225HP range, as Sabs above ^^^^^ said less strain on the motor [ Read cruz at lower RPM's and get killer MPG] I get great MPG because I don't go everywhere at FULL THROTTLE , I try to go just fast enough to stay up on step with what ever load I am hauling.
There have been a few that have bought the 23 with a 150 on the back and when they repowered they stepped up to the 225 and the moment they hit the water they understood why we put the max HP we can on the boat.
The 150ish motor will push the boat but you are typically running 3/4 to full throttle as where the 225's will push it comfortably at 1/2 throttle and of cours you get a BIG load in the boat the extra ponies are VERY nice.
Better to have it and not need it that to need it and not have it.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
choyero

Post by choyero »

Hey, this is great! Thanks for all your timely responses.

I am now thinking along those lines of "Sabs28" suggestion of a larger motor for the power when you need it and an efficient cruise speed which a larger motor can provide without working too hard. I am also adding a 9.9 kicker into the mix for the salmon trolling.

Any thoughts out there about the Honda 200 or 225? I've noticed that they are configured a bit differently but both have the 5 yr. warrantee. I would like to keep the weight down on the transom if I could since I am going to hang the 9.9. and don't want her to squat.

:beer:
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

There are a few owners from the "Blacklab" days that had twin, 115's, 125's & 135's on the V23. I saw a post on here 2-3 years ago, Pacific had a V23 with a 300 Zuke & Honda kicker. The kicker should be around 150ish pounds, so sqauting the boat shouldn't be an issue, they can handle alot of weight. The goverment boats usually hang twin 200's on them & don't seem to have a problem.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

BF225 and a 9.9.... she wont squat.
Lester,
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

I have a V235HT with a 150 and do just fine with it. Good luck and post pics :thumbsup:
capesteve

Post by capesteve »

I have a Pacific V2025 hard top with a Honda 135, no kicker. I bought the boat used and am very happy with it. Typical cruise speed is about 20-25 mph at about 1/2-3/4 throttle depending on contditions and comfortable. Boat gets up on plane easily when fully loaded and fueled. I have gone up to 35 or so mph never pushed it to wide open throttle. Very good-excellent fuel economy. I love the Honda which has 600 hrs on it and runs perfectly so far. If I was to re-power I would of course consider more horsepower, but my understanding is that the general rule of thumb is that you need to double horsepower to get a 50% increase in performance (? true or not). I don't think I would go over 200hp; not sure what the performance/fuel efficiency trade off would be at that horsepower. I think you would be very happy with anything in the 150-200 HP range, and the Honda is nice
choyero

Post by choyero »

I just got off the phone with Julie at Pacific Skiffs. The boat is under way. This is a new model and we were discussing the lack of room for the transom storage boxes since I am going to have a kicker added along side the main attraction. I ordered the 225 honda motor after all the great input I received here. Julie also said she would try to get some photos and send them to me. I hope I can get a chance to load them up for all you alloy fiends. It should be finished by mid June. I'm getting excited.

Cheers! :beer:
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

choyero wrote:I just got off the phone with Julie at Pacific Skiffs. The boat is under way. This is a new model and we were discussing the lack of room for the transom storage boxes since I am going to have a kicker added along side the main attraction. I ordered the 225 honda motor after all the great input I received here. Julie also said she would try to get some photos and send them to me. I hope I can get a chance to load them up for all you alloy fiends. It should be finished by mid June. I'm getting excited.

Look forward to seeing some pictures, just curious if you are going to get a 225 why not get a 250? almost the same weight, from what I have read the new Honda 250 is a great motor.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
capesteve

Post by capesteve »

Do you know the hull weight? How big a fuel tank will you have? That thing should fly with 225 hp you will be very happy..
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

capesteve wrote:Do you know the hull weight? How big a fuel tank will you have? That thing should fly with 225 hp you will be very happy..
It's my 23 without the pod, a 225 or 200 will run it GREAT.
Fuel tank is 114.9 gallons.
Lester,
choyero

Post by choyero »

Yes, the boat is under construction. I am waiting for Julie to send a few pictures. I ended up choosing the 225 honda and 9.9 kicker. Things are beginning to get exciting!!!

welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

What extras are you getting ?
Raw water wash down
Tuna Door
Bow Rail
Full welded wind shield [ I LOVE MINE ]
Lockable doors on all openings

?????????????????????????????????????

:thumbsup:
Lester,
choyero

Post by choyero »

The New 21 ft center console will come with all the standard features as the Pacific Skiff 23HT except it will not have the motor mounted on a transom bracket which will account for most of difference in length as well as it will loose a little more length coupled with a transom mount with a splash well. It all comes out to 21ft. I like the fact that it will be easier to reach your fishing rod around the motors while fighting a feisty opponent. The hardtop will be the same as the 23ft boat with glass windshield and wiper.

The extras added are minimal to keep it clean for fishing. There will be a forward anchor locker with casting platform, console cooler seat w/cushion, compass, VHF radio, GPSMAP 547xs sounder, Armstrong ladder, down rigger mounts, flush mounted rod holders, and trim tabs.

I do believe that the transom height is 30 in. We are not sure of the weight yet. It is the first 21ft. boat in their line but I would assume that it would be closer to the 23HT weight than the 20ft. since it still has the 8'6" width as the 23ft boat. The fuel cell is the same size as the 23 ft.

I'm itching to see some photos too!!!
choyero

Post by choyero »

I finally received a few shots of the 21ft. Pacific Skiff under construction. How can I post them by attaching them to my post?
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

If you have downloaded them to you computer it is easy...
1) Make a new post, type your message.
2) Below where you typed your post there is a tab , Upload attachment, click it with your mouse.
3) A window will open, click the, Browse, button.
4) It will take you into your computer, find your picture, it might be in RECENT DOWNLOADS or your PICTURES.
5) Select your picture by LEFT licking on it.
6) Then click the ADD THE FILE button , it is on the right of the BROWSE button.
7) then click the SUBMIT button and bingo..... your picture is in your post.

If all that doesn't work just email them to me and I will post them for you. :thumbsup:
Lester,
choyero

Post by choyero »

O.K. gentlemen, here are the latest photos of the 21 ft. Pacific Boats new 21 ft. model still under way but looking good! :thumbsup:
Attachments
P1020727.jpg
P1020727.jpg (54.4 KiB) Viewed 11374 times
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

Looks great, what HP is the 21 rated for?
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
choyero

Post by choyero »

Hey Mac, So far there are no official ratings being that it is a new model. We are the guinea pigs here. I went with the 225 Honda but the minimum would be a 150.
choyero

Post by choyero »

Here is the transom height:
Attachments
P1020724.jpg
P1020724.jpg (51.06 KiB) Viewed 11363 times
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic