Lofting software?

Mods and custom builds
Bullshipper

Lofting software?

Post by Bullshipper »

Is there a lofting program that idiots can understand, something that will interface line drawings from generic cadd or autocadd that you have tried that is suitable for the technically challanged?
Daddy'O

Post by Daddy'O »

Bull,

I'm familiar with alot of different software but your question has me stumped :? .

Sorry!

Anyone else out here with an answer for Bullshipper?

Wayne
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

darbikrash

Re: Lofting software?

Post by darbikrash »

Bullshipper wrote:Is there a lofting program that idiots can understand, something that will interface line drawings from generic cadd or autocadd that you have tried that is suitable for the technically challanged?
You might try Delftship, a free download:

http://www.delftship.net/

This code does not use NURBS surfaces, so it's easier to use than most, but unless you already have (manual) lofting experience, you're in for a rough ride.

Do you already have 2D lines drawings, or will you be developing these as well?

One thing unique to aluminum boats is the intolerance for compound curvature. I'm not an expert, but I would think you would want to be sure that all the curves and resulting surfaces are developable (ruled) so you can bend them up if the hull material is metal.

You could easily create a 3D computer surface that cannot be bent using tradtional metal forming.

I'm not a loftsman, but I've lofted a couple of boats including one for Jack Cole, the Skipjack 30. We used some pretty high end tools for his deal, but all the same it was a nightmare. In the end, they used the computer loft data just for 2D section templates, as they did not want to write the check for the 5 axis plug machining.

If you would add some detail as to what you are starting with and what you wish to achieve, I'd be happy to offer some suggestions.
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

Bullshipper, Hows things,
I use AutoCAD 2007 but John from Ironwood took the Auto-CAD into Rhino 3D and makes real nice 3-dimentional renderings for his clients. You can get a demo license for free I think, or at least you use too. Here is the link>>> http://www.rhino3d.com/

Marty
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic