mig welding

Mods and custom builds
upstateNYer

mig welding

Post by upstateNYer »

my first attempt at welding aluminum, not pretty at all, but i think with lots of practice i can get it. my plate wS def not clean enough, just what I had around the shop...going to get some scraps from my local metal guy...welds were done with a Millermatic 175 with spool gun.
john
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (190.16 KiB) Viewed 4252 times
onwhiskeycreek

Re: mig welding

Post by onwhiskeycreek »

A way to get a good start and learn the basics is going to adult ed classes or what ever they're called in your neck of the woods. A lot of community colleges and some high schools in smaller communities have continuing education classes. It's also amazing some of the you tube videos out on welding now. You have a good opportunity with having your own welder to practice with at home. You need to learn the basics but nothing can take the place of just putting in the time welding.

Gary
28 Alumaweld, 26 Olympic, 23 McGregor Venture sailboat, 5 Kayaks, 2 canoes, white water raft and cat, beach skiff and a rib
upstateNYer

Post by upstateNYer »

thanks Gary,
classes are available out here..although not very often. i have been looking into that. I'm not entirely new to welding, and think once i have some better materials and have more time to practice i should be able to apply some of the techniques discussed on this and other forums. any feedback is much appreciated!
John
downline

Post by downline »

John I took two courses at Lincoln Electric that apply to any welder. I wanted to use the PM 350 MP on AL to see if that welder made sense to invest in, and to start to get a handle on Al welding. weldingtipsandtricks.com is a source that has helped a lot because I can refer back often for what I may be doing wrong.

It is far more difficult welding 1/8 AL than 3/16 and get a fair straight weld. It may make sense to start with at least 3/16 and move down in thickness gradually if you are building with 1/8 material.

Al is such a heat sink that the material will heat up and require adjustment to the WFS, and volts to maintain the same weld profile, especially if your welding is primarily in one general area.

I injoy the process of learning AL and believe a good AL welder will also be a good steel welder because AL requires so much attention to detail. Dan
upstateNYer

Post by upstateNYer »

thanks for the reply!
I have bunch of clean scrap of all thicknesses up to 1/4 that I am going to practice on. My new helmet is on its way also..going to spend the weekend in the shop playing with settings...Weldingtipsandtricks is a great resource that I will def be referring too..as well as all of Kevin Morin's posts...Also have a tig welder on the way which I have never tried..so that should be fun! i figure a have a few years to get this down before i can afford the Al for my boat...so more weld pics will follow for critiquing! Love this forum..
John
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic