Simple question...answered. NYALIC ON PACIFICS

Mods and custom builds
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Simple question...answered. NYALIC ON PACIFICS

Post by JETTYWOLF »

-Manual Labor
-Elbow greeze

Had a Nasty stern...with 20 shades of aluminum coloration....with fuel eaten nyalic coating.....and what looked like "pits"....experimented with cleaning it all up.

Top section of platform, back outside of "transom".

It looked like crap as does the whole outside of the boat. But then again, this was a test. An experiment. A way to pass the time.

Now all slick, slick, slick, clean as a whistle. And uniform color and very clean.

Cost: $5.00

Side of boat all nasty: (for got to do a before and after shot, so this was as close as I could get)
R.I.P - BlackLab Marine Plate alloy Boats
May we all have a moment of silence?

Tools:

CLEAN, UNIFORM, NO MORE melty NYALIC discoloration:

another angle: CLEAN-BRIGHT-SMOOTH......ya'll know who you are, that have burnt off Nyalic stains in this area, because when fueling up, the vents BURPED. That is all Gone for me now.

Does anyone know if that Sharkhide eats off the Nyalic coating, besides "brightening" the aluminum.
Now that's it's cooler outside and I can actually breath less HUMIDITY, I may save up some cashola and get a few bottles of it to do the sides of the boat. NO WAY, am I doing the sides of the boat with hand tools.

I'm crazy and very cheap right now. but not that crazy and cheap :banghead:
JETTYWOLF

Re: Simple question......answered:

Post by JETTYWOLF »

It's okay....I emailed Clint at Sharkhide and asked him.

And how many bottles I may need. And will Sharkhide take off the Nyalic Coating on my Pacific.

HE SAID "NO". Worked very hard to com up with a 3 chemical blend that will not harm paints, so he feels Nyalic won't be eaten off.

There's the answer from the man himself.

I told him going for the uniform color, and want her to gracefully "GRAY" over time. He didn't care for that.

What takes off NYALIC :?:

Besides straight Ethanol Gasoline?

And a sander and green scotch bright pad and 4 hours :?:

Clint said, "Maybe Laquer Thinner?"
JETTYWOLF

Re: Simple question...answered. NYALIC ON PACIFICS

Post by JETTYWOLF »

ZEP-A-LUME acid cleaner....not only $26.88 a gallon

But $120 FREIGHT per case of (4)

http://www.superkleendirect.com/cleaner ... spx?page=2

Total cost: $227.52

NOOOOOO wonder no one here acid washes their boats, takes off any Nyalic, and wants to go with the "naked look", like CHAPS has on his boat.

I give up.

I guess I'll keep on keeping on with discolorations, streaks, dings, scrapes, and looking like a rode hard and put up wet boat. Maybe it'll get me more calls?

I bet NOT.
welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

Dave,
We pick-up ZEP-A -Lume from our local truck parts supply. A 1:5 mix is strong. So you get 5 gallons of pre-mix. Put it on with a garden sprayer. We find that its best to start at the bottom and work your way up. It takes more than once to get the patina even.

Shark-hide. A quart can goes a long way. You should be able to get 2 or 3 coats from the quart.
welderbob
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Hello Bob

Yeah no go on the cost of freight for Zep. SharkHide although expensive is right in the next town south and is on ebay.

I'm selling 2 action cams right now for $200

So I can order Sharkhide immediately when I get my cash.

BIG QUESTION:

Should I leave it "scotchbrite" padded and Nyalic removed. (I called Nyalic and they said Xylene takes it off) So, I used it in conjunction with the pads.
Nyalic is coming off. I'm almost done whole outside of boat.

OR

Should I SharkHide acid wash, and then do their protectant also?

Any opinions?
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Two and a half solid 10 hour days....so that makes about 15 or so hours of Palm sander, boxes of Green Scotchbrite pads and a gallon of Xylene, some dish detergent and a 1/2 gallon of degreaser. And a pile of ole T-shirts.

I hope I have all the Nyalic off my boat's exterior, now. Of course there's stuff from Canada that's the shizzizzle to get it off. But who the hell has time to order and wait on something from Canada. Not me.

I'd take a pic of the Boat with no "mill finish", and no Nyalic on it. But you'd never see it in a photo, the difference that is.

Jettywolf's Birthday, October 18th, the day she was driven up to my house on a generic "northerner" roller trailer and two very tired guys said, "where's the nearest boat ramp and hotel?" So we went and put her on my trailer...

She deserves a facelift.

Will have Sharkhide acid wash cleaner by Monday or Tuesday, and will be doing the acid wash on her sides and stern. Went over the whole speal with Clint the owner of Sharkhide.

Got it on Ebay. Also purchased the Protectant.

Waiting on Kevin's or Goats or Chaps opinion on if I should go with a "coated" boat again. :?:

Sure is a hassle to get off.

Spent nearly 4 hrs with heat gun in hand to get boot-stripe, and decals off.

( I actually enjoyed the work. But wouldn't recommend what I did unless you are into waterboarding, tattoo's, piercings, or shoveling heavy materials.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: )
Napa Mike

Post by Napa Mike »

what ever happened to owning an alloy boat for the low maintenance? I think you need to learn to chill, Jetty.

Mike
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Have you see what my boat looked like?

I doubt it.

I've gone 7 years without doing zip.

I may have to sell some day (maybe sooner than later) and like my last boat when I sold it.
I got TOP dollar.

Never a chill here.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I guess this is one of those often talked about but more like a Star Trek idea for most.

My Sharkhide will be here Monday along with the Sharkhide metal protectant.

After just one day in the water. I believe I'll have to answer my own questions.

The waterline on my boat after no nyalic and no shine at all has darkened already.

The surface is very prone to adhering to; every bit of scum line, fender bump mark, oily finger print.

So the answer to my own question will be...

Acid wash, and then YES apply metal protectant afterwards.

Thanks for all the help :hammer:
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

So, your going to acid wash your boat and put sharkhide on it, cool. Mines wearing off and gracefully going gray.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Sharkhide cleaner and protectant will be here in about two hrs, as its coming from 32 miles south via UPS.

I've done a ton of work, I had such nasty looking sides of the boat. mainly because i never use fenders.

Now, clean and scuff and old decal "ghost" free!!

I'm already to get to work on Tuesday before charters on the 16-17-18-20-21-22 of October...people were such slow starters to the cooler fishing and more BITES, now summer is OVER

Thank goodness :beer: :clap: :thumbsup:

I have a new idea for AAB.com "insignia's".....if I find what I'm looking for. I'll show ya and let ya drool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic