7 year birthday clean-up....finally done.

Mods and custom builds
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

7 year birthday clean-up....finally done.

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Ya may have surfed the Q & A posts I have made....where NO ONE did any Q'ing. So myself and Lord of Corrosion Kevin chatted about it.

From getting rid of Nyalic, Scotchbrite pads and a palm sander, to refinishing with Sharkhide products.

Am I completely happy?

Well, watch the video. And get CLUES from what I have learned.

Does my boat look completely different?

Yes sir, it sure does.

[BBvideo 560,340]http://youtu.be/YoBAsdJ-vfQ[/BBvideo]
welderbob
Donator ,15

Re: 7 year birthday clean-up....finally done.

Post by welderbob »

Morning Dave,
Guess you didn't need to go to the gym after your Nyliac removal. From the vidieo ,I think Zep-a-lume would work about as well as the sharkhide acid wash. We buy it at a local truck parts shop for a chuck less money. Truckers use it to clean up the sides of there dump trucks . we mix it 4/5 parts water to 1 part acid ,so a gallon makes 5 gallons. Its plenty strong. We use a pump sprayed. One trick is to start a the bottom. A little in-line agitation with a scotchbrite pad will help take the streaks out.
You have plenty of Metal Protectant, I just did the outside of a 26' with two coats and didn't finish the quart.

Welderbob
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Re: 7 year birthday clean-up....finally done.

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Hey Bob.

Yeah, I did. But It was par for the course when it came to the cleaner/acid. (NOT enough, day late dollar short.)

Couldn't find anyone local to sell me ZEP. Was even told at a shipyard supply place I'd need a caustic material permit to buy it locally.

I'll ORDER it next time if I have too.

Getting the Nyalic off was 3 days of labor, for sure. I'm a guy that kinda earns his living with arms, so it wasn't all that bad. Just teadeous using Xyolene in spray bottle, and a palm sander and green scotch brite in the other to get that shet off...I hope Sharkhides protectant comes off easier, when I go to re-clean with Zep......"some day". Or maybe Zep will just eat that shet right off :?:

Not a Nyalic fan, right now.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic