Alloy observation

Mods and custom builds
pjay9

Alloy observation

Post by pjay9 »

I am back from my visit to Thailand. Made a number of in country flights. As I was waiting in the shade of the pax stair for the shuttle bus I noticed this bunch of rivets. So is this an airframe patch? Interesting..it was on a 37.
Rivets
Rivets
IMG_8271a.JPG (86 KiB) Viewed 3379 times
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Re: Alloy observation

Post by goatram »

7075 T6 Alloy does not like to be welded. Looks like there was at least two holes in the fuselage skin that needed to be patched. Very common in my line of work. It may look Ugly but it is functional and restores the Strength back to the Tube. Some are done this way and others are done with Counter Sunk Rivets for a Aerodynamic smooth Look. Depending on the location of the Repair fwd or aft of the wing. On the Wings you want to put the Doublers if you can on the Inside.

Welcome Home Capt. Did you go to any Bars for the Shows? :eyepop: :rotfl: Inquiring Mind wants to know. That is the only country I have not hit a bar in. My wife said some thing to her sister who said something to the Cop Body Guard Who stopped understanding English. He also had to leave all of a sudden. Brother in Law is in the National Police Force over there. One of the Big Boys there hence the Body Guard/Driver.

Singapore, PI, Japan, Korea, Germany. All had good and Fun Bar districts for GI's :sarge: To Young for Vietnam; turned 17 in "1977" in April and was at Basic in May of 77, Retired in May of 97.
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
pjay9

Re: Alloy observation

Post by pjay9 »

Intersting re the patch...as for the bars and shows...I'll never tell!!! Walking Street was very interesting as they would say...but the ruskies have become very dominant in Pattaya...Russian girls were very annoying always trying to get you to do something(in your face approach)...the Thai ladies were much more polite yet somewhat subtlely aggressive but pleasant about it as that was their job...they know it you know it! Once you did Walking Street the rest of the town was interesting, good food and folks helpful and polite.
I enjoyed the north very much, visited the Bridge on the River Kwai museum and death railroad. Had a day at an elephant camp and a river raft ride. Stayed at some very nice places, had great street food and loads of coconut ice cream. Stayed at a place in Pawna Cape, Island of Phuket great place peaceful and swimming in the sea oh so warm.
Bangkok is good but I am done with it...as the taxi and street folks are always on the hustle...but I only got fooled once, it cost me $3...then it was my turn the second time...I told the taxi driver where I wanted to go and he went off some place else, I saw this on my GPS (phone) and told him he was messing about...he finally turned and took me to where I needed to go...I paid him what it would have cost...if he had gone direct...he got pissed and threaten to get out of car...I calmly put my camera in my cargo pants and told him to drive off or get out his choice...if he understood I have no idea...but I'd say he understood the tone and stance and look...he drove off! After that I made sure things were always right, before it got too far off kilter.
Outside of Bangkok it is pleasant and enjoyable. Thailand is a great place, all the food I had was good to excellent, every place I stayed was clean, comfortable and staff helpful and attentive ave cost per day stay was around $45 as low as $27 and high as $120 and actually the 27 was as good as the 120...you paid for location and uniqueness...most places included breakfast...from full blown buffets most of the time to a continental style..all good. Transport was easy, took bus on one leg and flew most every place else...in country flights cost $43 to $55. Set tours were pretty good and the most cost effective way to see something until you get the idea of all the ins and outs. I'd go again...it was hot in 90's and humid...rained once for 30 mins. Glad to be home.
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic