Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Marine Glass????

Post by Sabs28 »

Can "Lexan" be used for boat windows or do I need "Marine Glass"???? :popcorn:
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: Marine Glass????

Post by Chaps »

If'n you want to be cool like the cool guys you must use marine glass (whatever that is) :roflmao:
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Gypseas
Donator 14, 15

Post by Gypseas »

Thought "lexan" scratches and will look faded in short order
Sabs28

Post by Sabs28 »

welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

lexan is fine for side windows, but don't try and run a windshield wiper on it. It will last long that you think.
welderbob
Sabs28

Post by Sabs28 »

So where would I find "Marine Grade Glass"?????
skypoke

Post by skypoke »

I chose to use tempered glass for pilothouse. I made patterns in masonite of the glass, went to local glass company and they had the glass cut and tempered. It was surprisingly inexpensive. Your glass supplier has access for rubber extrusions in every imaginable configuration for installation. These can be quite pricey.
Texian, born and bred.
3f8
Doator '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17

Post by 3f8 »

Friends don't let friends use plastic. Go Glass! Plastic is just too soft to yield a good long term outcome.
"It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline.
Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."
Hunter S. Thompson
ARMOR

Post by ARMOR »

Maybe consider Makrolon AR2 by Sheffield Plastics, it is really tough stuff you'll see on tractor cabs and commercial boats. After getting my last quote back for windows and doors I am seriously considering using this stuff on my build....

Speaking of which, anyone ever built their own slider windows? I'd like to keep radius corners and I quite haven't figured out how to do it.

I also would be very interested in seeing a couple door designs if anyone's built their own.

:beer:
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

The Tempered Glass and Rubber Extrusion is the Better Choice. On my previous build on my Northriver I made my own slider that always Stuck so I converted it to a hinge door.

on the new Boat I used Diamond Seaglaze for both the windows and the slider door. The Work Boat show is coming up in NOV in Seattle. Free and there will be some of the Window Supply Companies there 19 - 21 Marine Expo. A fun Day goofing off for me.
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
ARMOR

Post by ARMOR »

DSG has some nice stuff and is pretty much the benchmark. However, they are definitely a premium price as well, especially for the doors. Hence thinking of getting a little creative. Rubber gasket windows are ok until you end up with a window in your lap. The Makrolon is what you'll see on many of the newer commercial fishing boats in AK as a windshield. AR stands for abrasion resistant; the 2 is for two sides. If it is good enough for them it will probably work for me.

:beer:
skypoke

Post by skypoke »

That Makralon sounds good. I have thought about those tempered glass windows in rubber gaskets, having one pop out would be not good at all. If I stay with them I'm going to come up with some sort of clamping arrangement on the inside.

So, is this abrasion resistant plastic tough enough to withstand windshield wipers?
Texian, born and bred.
ARMOR

Post by ARMOR »

A couple links for references:

http://www.acplasticsinc.com/techsheets ... lon_AR.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idJGrLcaDlQ

http://articles.sae.org/6797/

The stuff seems pretty tough; just need to make sure to get AR2 (abrasion resistant both sides)
markh2000
Sponsor

Post by markh2000 »

The Makralon SR or Lexan scratch resistant material will work fine for your windows. Use 1/4" thick or more, have the window cut 1" wider than your opening all the way around, silicone seal them to your frame, and bolt the Lexan to your frame, 4 to 5" O.C. drill the holes for the bolts a little oversize, as the Lexan materials will expand and contract a little with temperature change.
All aluminum jet boat operators running the big white water here in the Northwest install scratch resistant Lexan in their front windows. Tempered glass will break or blow out. Not a good experience. I have attached some pictures of my boat with Lexan front windows and Lexan top windows. Trust me, these windows have been well tested. You would have a hard time knocking them out with a sledgehammer!
Buy the Pacific Powertrain wiper system or at least the frameless wiper blades, and you will not scratch your windows.
http://pacificpowertraininc.com/product ... ld-wipers/

Over time the Lexan can slightly cloud if left outside in the sun. Window covers while parked outside can prevent this.

Click on the pictures to make them big enough to see better
Attachments
Inside view, front and top Lexan windows bolted in
Inside view, front and top Lexan windows bolted in
Outside top windows
Outside top windows
Front windows
Front windows
Another front view
Another front view
window testing 1
window testing 1
Window testing 2
Window testing 2
PPI frameless blades will not scratch windows
PPI frameless blades will not scratch windows
PPI pantograph arm & frameless blade
PPI pantograph arm & frameless blade
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

Wow, those are some good action shots, what happens if you lose power in the river?
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
markh2000
Sponsor

Post by markh2000 »

An engine failure is not very common with our new modern marine engines. Not much more common than your car quitting you out on the freeway...but, they are boats, so,,,**** happens!
For running big whitewater most prefer the redundancy and safety of having two engines(my boat has twin supercharged 6 liter Marine Power engines) in the event of total engine failure, you try to get the boat to shore and tie up to work on it, this is when your glad you have a trolling motor or at least a paddle on board!
Attachments
1 dog power in an emergency?
1 dog power in an emergency?
Sabs28

Post by Sabs28 »

MacCTD wrote: what happens if you lose power in the river?
HOLD ON TIGHT. :rotfl:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic