Minn Kota Talon bracket welded to the boat?

Mods and custom builds
Hull9
Donator '14

Minn Kota Talon bracket welded to the boat?

Post by Hull9 »

Instead of buying a $300 adapter plate for my minn kota talon to bolt onto my outboards, I though about just welding the included transom mount bracket to the boat's bracket in the circled area. I can't bolt it in because the talon's mounting holes and bracket is taller than the circled area. I would think that welding would be stronger anyway.

Any thoughts from those smarter than me? The talon needs direct downward clearance and this looks like the only spot to make it happen.

Thanks,
Alec
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (111.12 KiB) Viewed 12227 times
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Re: Minn Kota Talon bracket welded to the boat?

Post by kmorin »

Hull9, could you post pictures of the hardware you're discussing? Not easy to understand the post without some more visual aids.

It's metal, we at AAB.com can mount anything; as long as metal is involved. But it sure does help to see what we're working with before making drawings.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Hull9
Donator '14

Post by Hull9 »

Will do

Thanks, Kevin

-Alec
Hull9
Donator '14

Post by Hull9 »

Here's the bracket. The innermost holes are 3.5" high from center to center, which is approximately how tall the boat's bracket is.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (62.17 KiB) Viewed 12211 times
Hull9
Donator '14

Post by Hull9 »

One more picture
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (56.14 KiB) Viewed 12211 times
kmorin

Post by kmorin »

hull9, can I assume the bracket mounts with the bolt/pins horizontal? that means for the sake of the photos you're holding it at 90 degrees to the mounting orientation? I'm not familiar with trolling motors so this is new territory.

my first impression is to weld a small plate to the lower edge of the swim platform's lowest edge, that would allow the top of the bracket to be flush with the platform, and the new plate's vertical dimension would be the distance needed to be flush with the lower edge of the bracket when the bracket is flush to the top? Then single plate 'leg' angling upward and forward to the framing elements of the swim platform or the deck of the platform's underside.

This pair of plates allows the bracket to bolt on flush to the top of the swim deck.
BUT... if the bracket mounts in a different orientation (?) or has to be 1"-2' or some distance ABOVE the swim platform for motor tip up clearance issues, then I'm not familiar enough to plan for that -yet.

So if you'd just make it clear where the bracket goes, vertically, helping to define the top of the bracket's relation to the deck of the swim platform, and confirm the mounting orientation; I'll post a proposed mounting sketch for your to review and talk with a welder/fitter.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Hull9
Donator '14

Post by Hull9 »

Kevin,

Correct, the bracket is mounted vertically. This is to hold a powered pole anchor that drives straight down, so it would be on the vertical edge of the outboard bracket. It makes no difference how high it sits because the pole anchor itself slides down onto the bracket using the rails and can be set at any point. My pictures did show 90 degrees off kilter. The bottom side of the bracket is where you see the curved line of empty bolt holes (to adjust for the pole anchor's angle on the transom). It should be mounted on the aft end of the platform as far to starboard as practical.

Here's a picture for reference. Mine will be on the starboard side because the swim ladder is on my port

Thanks
Alec
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Kevin, its not a trolling motor, its a mini-spud that powers down into the mud to keep the boat stationary while casting to fish on the flats
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
kmorin

Post by kmorin »

Boy am I redfaced! :rotfl: I've never even heard of such a rig! IF I'm tracking (?) when fishing you put down a leg into or onto the bottom to anchor the skiff? I'm not even going to try to understand why that would be but I'll draw what should be added to your boats' transom to make this happen the easiest way for you and the boat.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
kmorin

Post by kmorin »

hull9, don't weld the bracket to the swim step coaming. IF you can weld or have welded then put a bolt on bracket so the part can be removed, maintained and replaced.

A word about my illustrations, first I don't want to spend the time to make full on mechanical drawings since your welder will understand with much less than a full set of fab drawings what you want him to do. Second, I'm just making suggestions and if you don't like them, which is fine with me, then I don't want to take days or weeks to design something you don't need. Last, in order to 'see' an 3D illustration without full drawing set, I color parts of the fab, different colors to show 'parts' that is the different pieces are colored to show pieces not a suggested paint scheme. I tend to put three or four views of the same pieces of metal in one view to save my time.

I draw in the model, take a picture, export to Photoshop and crop then re-size, so if I can do that with one view, you'll have to see the three views of this one idea in one picture. I'm not being disrespectful but if you and your welder think I'm full of it, OK fine do it your way, and I'm still old, fat, and happy, with less effort to show one way to do the work. But if this is inadequate or your welder poses a question you cannot answer, I will take time to address the question including making more images of the potential methods of doing the work.

This is the general policy of AAB.com: if you're not sure what's being said, and have done some reading and prep, AND any drawing I provide is not self explanatory or leaves your welder confused and needing more info... just say so. We will make more drawings, and show how to do the job, but if you're good with the first version... then we don't need to take the time.

Most important is that you feel free to discuss your understanding and we're able to address that understanding between all the experienced people here- that is why Welder has created the site and why we all participate except for Jettywolf who is obsessed with catching fish instead of building boats, but at least he catches them all from a nice welded aluminum boat.

What I'm suggesting is a simple plate to extend (purple flat bar) some matching portion of the 2" or 3" deep swim platform edging, which I think is 6060-T6 2"x1.4" flat bar (or there about) down so the entire flat surface of what you've shown (bracket) will mount flat to this newly created flat surface.

NOTE: I show a fully beveled weld prep so the surface can be sanded flat to mount the bracket you show on a flat sanded surface without loss of strength. The back side should be welded too, after back chipping a groove in the seam between the two bars/plates.

Next, I'm showing a diagonal brace plate, (cyan or light blue) full width of the vertical coaming extension angled to the deck and welded. IF, the swim platform has framing that does not show in the photos I've seen (very good possibility) then... the bracketing or bracing leg should go to those elements not to the decking underside. IT is fully possible that diagonal brace I show will interfere with the bracket mounting bolts depending on the angle of the brace and the proximity of the bolts to the lowest edge of the brace's weld to the vertical bar. This will take some fiddling by the welder/fitter.

The swim platform must be understood to take the entire displacement of the skiff onto that corner as a load if there is a swell and the leg lifts and then touches the bottom. This is critical to understand, (maybe more critical is I have no experience in this 'leg' anchor post!) the entire wt of the hull can be on this swim platform extension in a swell.

If the bracket is mounted by bolts, good practice and in keeping with this bracket, the bolts should be SS 304 or 316 alloy. If possible buy some SS passivating solution to soak the bolts, nuts and washers before installing them. This reduces the surface reactivity of the SS alloys. If possible, use nylon washers, bolt sleeves or liners to isolate ALL SS from ALL aluminum and coat the surfaces with Tef-Gel or some other persistent lubricant to keep the water out of the tight sealed surfaces.

I hope this helps with an idea about how to mount the bracket shown on the stern of the skiff in the pictures?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Kevin, these things are spring loaded to absorb swells and load shifts in the boat. They are the cats behind for positioning up and fishing in SE shallow water flats where you are casting to cruising fish with 2-6 ft of water under the boat
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Hull9
Donator '14

Post by Hull9 »

Kevin,

What a great write up and drawing. I half expected something drawn in MS Paint, so you have gone way above and beyond. I see exactly what you're trying to accomplish and totally agree. There is no need now to weld the bracket itself to the boat, which I like. Many, many thanks yet again for your time and assistance.

-Alec
kmorin

Post by kmorin »

hull9, glad it helped.
Chaps, OK spring loaded makes much more sense! I could just see this big skiff tearing the swim platform off the aft the transom from someone walking back to set or stow this leg! but a swell? that seems like it would be hard to use, thanks for clarifications.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Hull9
Donator '14

Post by Hull9 »

Well, here's the final product. Thanks again for the help!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (65.35 KiB) Viewed 12158 times
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

whatcha got there :?:

what kinda "southern" boat is that?

Peezer had a Talon on his 26 Pacific from the factory.

Chaps.....don't worry. There's alot about crabtrap pullers, diesel heaters, we don't know about or care about either :rotfl: :rotfl:

But then again, you're sporting a "BORN" in Florida Porta-bracket, so ya never know. There might be help out there after all for ya'll deep water, dudes. :roflmao: :roflmao:

C'C'mon...... :skipper:
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Hull9 wrote:Will do

Thanks, Kevin

-Alec

Ya may have to actually post what the Talon does so these guys from "not round here" know what yer talkin about.

I'll do it:

[BBvideo 560,340]http://youtu.be/0Lxjc6HlWeY[/BBvideo]

NOT FOR THE BIG BOAT GUYS......NOT EVEN FOR ME. Not my cup of tea. I'm not that much in need for more gadgets, that'll break.

----------------------------------------------------------

NOW I LIKES THIS :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :mrgreen:

Simple and BUILT
:!:
[BBvideo 560,340]http://youtu.be/5fFPh0F1y2M[/BBvideo]
kmorin

Post by kmorin »

Captn' Dave, I can understand how these 'anchors' work now. I hadn't much experience in fishing that shallow, well without a net that is, so the name MinnKota sort of threw me off the scent.

Thanks for posting the links to the vid's that helped me to 'get it', I'm sure someone here has used these sometime or another but they're just outside my experience didn't mean to be 'slow' (well slower than usual). If I understand this type of fishing, you'd drive into some spot, put this leg down, stay until you're ready to move, lift it, run and reset, all avoiding putting out the hook and bothering with ground tackle and putting and hauling the rode?

Pretty handy, sort of unsightly but handy, I wasn't remarking about the pretty girl just the mast sticking up from the transom. I think these could be put in a well at or near the console and be hidden by the vertical structure of the console and T-top's fabrications. I mean if they're an accepted part of the boat, why not make a well inside the center of the boat? The well could have a flange on top, like sonar wells, and the 'talon' could bolt to that sealing the hull. I'd make the riser of 2" pipe and have the flange at the deck or higher so that is was above the waterline- still do the same thing, anchor the boat, but look a little bit more like the original welded boat?

Thanks again for the vids.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Kevin,

Yeah loads of EZ fishing devices sprouting up......they are best for the Gulf of Mexico where there's no current and no real tides.

Even over here "ATLANTIC SIDE", you can't use those thangs all that much.

What you're talking about is for Aluminum boaters. These new fangled thangs are for the plastic boater crowd, mostly because they have all these different mounting options for the transoms.

The BASS boys have two usually. At $2400 :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: at least.

the La. Pirogue has been made with "simple" spud holes. Would be a great addition to a southern shallow-water alloy skiff, like the one Bob's building.

Hell, now they even have RETRACTABLE 360 degree sonar on a pole off the stern.....Bob & Alice Weekender don't have to know diddly anymore except which FOB hanging around their neck does what and what button to push. :roflmao: :roflmao:

Did ya see this one? Holy Smokes, what's next?
[BBvideo 560,340]http://youtu.be/HZMNZyHGIsw[/BBvideo]

I KNOW....THIS IS NEXT

WITH 100 FOOT TALONS ON EACH STERN CORNER :roflmao:
[BBvideo 560,340]http://youtu.be/Nor6h3c8TYc[/BBvideo]
THIS IS SUPER GREAT IF YA LIKE YOUR OUTBOARDS IN A CONSTANT SPRAY BOOTH, WATCH THEM CONSTANTLY BLASTED WITH WATER :!:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic