Trim Tabs

Mods and custom builds
NTGeorge

Trim Tabs

Post by NTGeorge »

Hey Guys
I'm looking for a supplier for the QL or Humphee interceptor type trim tabs, there is bugger all shops over here sell them and the ones that do are at twice the price they are sold for over your way.
Any place you could recommend would be appreciated.
Cheers George
[url]www.ntunique.com.au[url]
Custom Plate Boats
Boat Modifications and Repairs
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: Trim Tabs

Post by Chaps »

Both of those systems come out of Europe so they are expensive here too.

I wanted to test the concept on my boat to see how well it would work if I bought a set. The boat would porpoise easily after the I/O to outboard conversion so it was obvious that tabs would be needed. Wondering if the Volvo Penta style tabs really were effective I bolted a couple of alloy angle bars to the trailing edge of the hull plates and the problem was instantly solved. Boat comes up on plane almost immediately, never porpoises or pounds and the entire lash-up might have cost $6 at most.

Granted, you likely can't build a new boat with these but tell you what, the concept works. They are still on the boat (with shorter bolts)
P2030002_1.jpg
P2030002_1.jpg (45.77 KiB) Viewed 4734 times
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
CustomTiller

Post by CustomTiller »

Very interesting.
Did you lose any top speed?

I've got an older all aluminum spring loaded set of trim tabs that I'm going to install on my boat. I've installed smart tabs and lots of Lenco tabs on NON ALLOY "sport" boats. I've never installed any on a fishing boat and my primary concern is transducer signal interference. Any tips or thought on that?
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Can't answer that first question because I never run my boat wide open. The boat is a lot more comfortable at higher speeds particularly in short steep chop because the bow stays down and the boat doesn't pound so yeah, its faster in rough conditions at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle than it was before. You can see my transducer location, no problems with FF image.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic