24' DYI alloy remodel

Mods and custom builds
Tfitz
Donator '16

Re: 24' DYI alloy remodel

Post by Tfitz »

yes, saltwater cooled through a heat exchanger then exhaust out the prop hub. The trim tabs are complete. They are the vertical, electric type. Tonight I went from a bare cabin with no floor and side plates or fixtures to "cabin complete". in about 3 hours. plus I got the door mostly installed before calling r quits for the night
Attachments
20160711_224014-resized-1280.jpg
the control/indication lights from left to right above the windshield glass is first...Drum winch control, cabin lighted switch, storage compartments lighted switch,  deck light lighted switch, small indication LED lights is mid boat bilge running, stern bilge running, and wash down pump running
the control/indication lights from left to right above the windshield glass is first...Drum winch control, cabin lighted switch, storage compartments lighted switch, deck light lighted switch, small indication LED lights is mid boat bilge running, stern bilge running, and wash down pump running
The dash electronics was a tight fit. The Garmin 7607xsv chart plotter has a 1/4 of wiggle room and or it's up against the glass. The controls on the long box side are from the top down.... Trim tab control, gas/propane bilge alarm, and master kill switch for chart plotter and nmea 2000 network
The dash electronics was a tight fit. The Garmin 7607xsv chart plotter has a 1/4 of wiggle room and or it's up against the glass. The controls on the long box side are from the top down.... Trim tab control, gas/propane bilge alarm, and master kill switch for chart plotter and nmea 2000 network
I like the indirect lighting from the storage compartment lighting. I have switched wiring going  to all storage compartments for this lighting but I need to get more LED strip lighting to finish.
I like the indirect lighting from the storage compartment lighting. I have switched wiring going to all storage compartments for this lighting but I need to get more LED strip lighting to finish.
20160711_224109-resized-1280.jpg
the insulated bow ice storage compartment will hold lots of ice and be out of the way
the insulated bow ice storage compartment will hold lots of ice and be out of the way
20160711_224247-resized-1280.jpg
door in position. the handle mechanism is sloppy and needs rebuilt but that's winter work....It's time to get this thing in the water and get the decks bloody
door in position. the handle mechanism is sloppy and needs rebuilt but that's winter work....It's time to get this thing in the water and get the decks bloody
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

Tfitz, looking good from here! The seat pedestal 'box' with the rounded edges?? Is that pipe bent to the U shape then welded to plates? Very nice looking result- round over top and large size bull nosed edges is an attractive shape for a pedestal. Is there a reason for the design- (rounding?) or did you just decide to built that way? Reason being- something's inside this volume? Or... to keep the pedestal from having sharp/plate edges?

Coming along now. I guess we can see why a finished welded-plate boat is expensive- even if done by a crew working a 40 hour week, there's plenty of hours to get all these tasks complete.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai
kmorin
Tfitz
Donator '16

Post by Tfitz »

I wanted the base of the seat pedestal as wide at the bottom as the opening of the hole I cut in the panel below the dash because that is the amount of room available I have for my legs and feet when in the sleeping position. The top of the seat pedestal took shape because I followed the contour of the boat wall and wanted to keep it as big as possible. So the pedestal ended up round at the top because the corners needed to taper off so that when my seats pivots, the bolts that attach the seat swivel to the seat slider rail dosent scratch as the seat rotates 360. So the shape sort of took shape as I built it out of scrap 1" AL electrical buss I got from when we replaced a HV breaker from a substation at work. And I wanted everything smooth and round because that's just how I did everything else on the boat. It has nothing to do with the fact that my outside corner welds look like sh$!#t and that I should have bought a TIG welder long ago!!
kmorin

Post by kmorin »

Tfitz, as long as you don't get the alum. conduit wet!!! things are OK. That stuff is soft and will dissapear in salt water!

I see the design method was "organic" where it grows as you look at the application and make decisions on the final - as you go along. Works for me, I like the shape, because of the rounding but I'd never have come up with that so I was just asking.

MIG's speed is its best and worst aspects all at once. Its good to go fast, get the weld in and done with minimal heat added but... you have to "get out of Dodge" once you pull that trigger. Unless you swapped wire, tips and settings every time you went to different thickness and joints- it would be very hard (almost impossible) to put down consistently proportional beads. The only way I can get a decent outside corner in MIG is to drop the wire down, allowing me to slow the overall weld, and to carry less puddle volume- not sure anyone else is any better unless we're talking about welding on heavier material where a bigger wire is more in proportion to the weld?

Yes, a TIG set up is super handy for cabin work, most of the full time builders have someone dedicated to TIG work because of the relatively slow speed allowing much more control. IT should be said that most of the time TIG welds are used to get a finished weld And control. That is- where sanding, dressing, finishing is costly to the employer- a single pass weld is less expensive than the MIG Plus Finish work of that MIG weld.

Until I saw your interior pictures of the helm's shifter support box, I didn't realize how much the cabin sides leaned in... Sure, I'd seen the previous photos, and they would show that fact.. but the shift/quadrant base made that inward angle much more obvious to me.

Strip LED's are very space age! Also probably a godsend to be able to see inside those stowage spaces without holding a flashlight? Is there on main LED power supply? or are these strips individually powered off the DC by wiring them as switched drops?

If the "builder's launch" is coming up? I'll assume that's in the River or a lake in the area? I'm not familiar with the ramps into water in your area so I was just curious? I found that I liked to do these as private affairs, once I had the "keys in" I'd announce to friends and family if they wanted to come see the 'launch'- AfteR I'd had the builder's launch!

"Builder's Launch" Learning Experience.

I built one of my first power boats in the late 1970's and got her ready to go a few miles to the Kasilof River ramp (it was more or less public at the time) planning to get there just before high tide to make the launch and retrieval easier.

We backed down, got her wet, fired up the engine and watched the gauges and she looked OK. Moved her over to the dock and tied up in the high water slack, figured we we're looking good so we ran up the engine (still tied up) and put her in gear, pulling on the lines and she immediately began to heat up!

Oop's! what's up with that, so we traced the cooling, and checked her valving, hoses, keel cooler and every thing insight! Nothing was wrong. Arghhh! All these people standing around and I can't even run the boat in gear at the dock to pull on some lines!! Not looking too informed.

So the mechanic gets in the engine compartment, goes over the same parts, hoses, coolant lines and all that I've done. Nothing... and when she's revved up in gear- engine heat starts to climb- right away. Fiddle, piddle, try, fail, still hot but for no reason I can find!

What to do, pull her out, haul her to the shop and start trying to figure out what's up? All the spectators leave, we pull to the shop and put her back inside and take off the hoses, check the flows, re-flow test the keel coolers with manometers connected to see if there's too much resistance- no. We checked the engine's water pump connections, and the thermostat housing, and all the parts.

Finally the mechanic leans on the pulley on the water pump and it turns with just his hand on the sheave! The Woodruff key on the pulley shaft is missing! So when the engine was revved up the resistance of the water pump's load would slip the pulley belt, the pump quit pumping and the engine heated up.

I never held a public launch if I could control the sequence! I had this happen a second time when the skipper took over the boat while in the shop. He'd purchased a used, rebuilt engine and was in charge of the mechanic and engine work, (I let him do his thing while we finished the cabin welding and fishing gear.)

He didn't listen to me... I'd asked that he hook up the hull to fresh water, run the boat on the trailer in the shop yard and make sure his engine was OK? He chose to go to the water and even took the boat out for a run! When he came back he found the glass fiber/mineral wool batts around the dry exhaust had partly MELTED!!! that's one hot exhaust!

He and his rebuilder/mechanic spend a full week trying to figure out what was their problem. The result was: when the engine was being reassembled- the water pump backing plate was left out- so the flow was almost negligible. The engine cooled solely by the convection from the block to the keel coolers- BUT... the jacketed manifolds were not getting enough circulation so their insulation (glass/mineral wool batts) were scorched and had molten crusts (!!) in places.

My opinion is that I'd like to take my boats to the water quietly and make my mistakes visible to me and the crew.... THen I'd break the bottle and all when I know the launch will go well!!!

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai
kmorin
Tfitz
Donator '16

Post by Tfitz »

if my seat pedestals get saltwater wet... then it failed the float test cause it will be on the bottom. ; (

no big fan fair for this occasion. just me n my neighbor for now. my wife will be more interested when the bugs worked out of it
Tfitz
Donator '16

Post by Tfitz »

started the engine last night, first time in 2 years. started and ran great. shifting is stiff though. I need to investigate that more but overall everything went well. I used discarded that orange fiber optic interduct remnants to protect my single conductor wiring. it was free and it worked good. I had to split it with my skill saw though.
Attachments
starboard cabling. Battery 1/0 cables, steering, shift and throttle, trim tab, fuel meter, gas fume detector, transducer, pot puller cables. fuel lines and wiring
starboard cabling. Battery 1/0 cables, steering, shift and throttle, trim tab, fuel meter, gas fume detector, transducer, pot puller cables. fuel lines and wiring
port side. wash down and heater fuel pump,  and a pair of 16, 12, and 10 spare circuits to the stern
port side. wash down and heater fuel pump, and a pair of 16, 12, and 10 spare circuits to the stern
having this access to my engine for maintenance is what having a removable floor worth while in my view.
having this access to my engine for maintenance is what having a removable floor worth while in my view.
I friction fit this foam between the gas tanks to help insulate heat from the motor from my fish/ice box notice the two 3"  bilge blower ducts.
I friction fit this foam between the gas tanks to help insulate heat from the motor from my fish/ice box notice the two 3" bilge blower ducts.
all floor supports in place
all floor supports in place
starboard side complete
starboard side complete
port side complete
port side complete
20160713_004752-resized-1280.jpg
midnight in Fairbanks last night, ready to roll to the glass doctor for the rear Rubber mold window installation
midnight in Fairbanks last night, ready to roll to the glass doctor for the rear Rubber mold window installation
engine ground point
engine ground point
kmorin

Post by kmorin »

Tfitz, using the fiber duct for race is a nice touch, stuff is meant to be tough as train wheels so it will last a long time in the boat and protect what's inside. Is this from a blown-in fiber type job?

Detail work looking good, hope the builder's launch is uneventful, pleasant (nice to do these with minimal crew to increase your own enjoyment) and a good chance to enjoy the fruits of the year's work.

It will be interesting to see how you've affected the waterline, how she runs with different wt. distribution and other details. Engine/hull/DC neg. bond install is done well, few even major builders do that job as well as you show yours.

let us know when there's news on your launch.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai
kmorin
Tfitz
Donator '16

Post by Tfitz »

Thanks on the engine bonding but that was all you. At some point months ago you described how to do to it and it sounded skookum to me. Yesterday, after the rear window glass install I stopped by the scales to see what the damage is on the before to after weight gain.....it's about 1500 lb gain! My guess was 500 short. That puts the dry boat wt at 5500. Tommorow will be the float test with 3 55 gal drums of water to see where the water sits with simulated full gas tanks. This trailer will be at its limit for sure. we'll see how the trip to Valdez goes next week maybe a new trailer will get added to the list. I still have about 35 items on my punch list to finish but nothing major. It all seems to be working out so far. Tommorow's float/water line test could be a deal breaker.
Attachments
dash details
dash details
20160713_175723-resized-1280.jpg
Tfitz
Donator '16

Post by Tfitz »

It's all good news. The float test went well. My deck won't be underwater due to backwash from the scupper drains, that was my biggest concern. sonar, radar, radio, trim tabs and pumps all worked as expected. So Valdez here we come! hopefully my next post will be of some nice fish and boat efficiency stats.
Attachments
this is the water line in a worst case scenario set up. 3 55 gal drums of water on deck plus my 200 lb neighbor. No weight in the bow or cabin
this is the water line in a worst case scenario set up. 3 55 gal drums of water on deck plus my 200 lb neighbor. No weight in the bow or cabin
scupper to water line position in worst case scenario  looks fine. The deck will still drain fine
scupper to water line position in worst case scenario looks fine. The deck will still drain fine
my neighbor moves to the bow with 10 gal of water and it made the water line / scupper separation 4 " better
my neighbor moves to the bow with 10 gal of water and it made the water line / scupper separation 4 " better
I like the new "lines" my anchor and chain add to the bow. Plus the push button control actually make pulling anchor fun
I like the new "lines" my anchor and chain add to the bow. Plus the push button control actually make pulling anchor fun
kmorin

Post by kmorin »

Tfitz, even for someone who's looked at boats for a while, I'm amazed to recognize she's not 25-28' LOA! Looking at the many photos above, few with scale that emphasized her LOA, I'd gotten used to thinking of the boat as longer, with greater displacement.

The waterline is farther up than I'd expected and the righting moment of a couple hundred pounds to change her trim by the bow reinforces the fact she's light displacement.

Glad the launch went well, and your primary systems worked well, how was the running pitch (bow up angle) with the vertical electric tabs?
Tfitz wrote:trim tabs and pumps all worked as expected
Just checking to see if you ran her bow up, left the throttle alone and just trimmed her to a lower bow pitch- Or used some other technique?

How about top end vs past speed performance? (did you get) Full engine rpm running trimmed? I can't imagine wanting to buy new lower pitch props to account for a bit more overall wt to push- those Volvo duo-prop arrangements probably cost a few weeks' wages?

Did you let the anchor out to full scope (?) then back down and set the hook to see how she held? does the rode get made off to the bow cleat to hold- or does the winch have enough "hold"? (dogs, ratchets, pins? so the anchor can hold directly on the winch drum) Good to hear your winch worked as you'd planned.

It will be great to hear about a trip on the Sound of Prince William, and learn what feedback you'd offer on the 'livability' aspects to your cabin's interior design elements?

Looks nice with the chines wet. Congratulations on a nice remodel job.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai
kmorin
Tfitz
Donator '16

Post by Tfitz »

The body of water we were on was only 2-3 acres so about the time I got to 25-30 MPh it was time to start backing it down or go ashore hard. I did notice as soon as I trimmed up after starting full down it felt like I was two feet higher and really picking up speed. But I know nothing about trim tabs or checking out new boats so feel free to point things out. It's going to take me 2-3 days to pull everything out of the pile of boat and fishing stuff I made 2 years ago to re-outfit this boat and make it fish ready. And I'm still whittling down my punch list before I can even start that. At least I don't have to go to work Monday. 3 weeks off...life is good
Attachments
Cover up what bad weld with a sticker?? It's all good now!!!!
Cover up what bad weld with a sticker?? It's all good now!!!!
Tfitz
Donator '16

Post by Tfitz »

Here are a couple of not the highest priority items on the punch list that I finished today. Tommorow is finally the pull out my fishing gear day I've been working for.
To answer your anchor questions, the body of water we tested on was less than 20' deep so I didn't do any of the things you mentioned. But the research I did on that winch told me the line will break before the winch will unwind without doing anything extra but releasing the switch. The guy who sold me the winch said all he ever does on a stuck anchor is power into the line with his motor until the line breaks or anchor frees up. Almost never cleats it off. And he's a charter operator. My goal is not to go on the bow at all. Those will be my famous last words
Attachments
20160717_170056-resized-1400.jpg
20160717_170133-resized-1400.jpg
The Grill is solid an just just drops in place and lifts off just as easy for storage
The Grill is solid an just just drops in place and lifts off just as easy for storage
multi purpose, beluga strong, rail receptacles
multi purpose, beluga strong, rail receptacles
fish cleaning station
fish cleaning station
this was a HIGH priority on the punch list!!
this was a HIGH priority on the punch list!!
Tfitz
Donator '16

Post by Tfitz »

My son and I are off to a rough start so far on our first PWS trip. Not knowing the boat limits yet I took on to much weight. In Thompsons pass we packed about 250lbs of snow in the fish box and bow coolers. Then a 4-5 days of food and beer. All my halibut tackle and spare rods and reels. filled the tank's with 135 gals gas. Then welcomed my neighbor and his son on board. plus there overnight stuff. We headed out early in calm seas but quickly realized we seemed bow heavy and couldn't even get on step. At 16 MPh we "barged" it 25 miles out to the first fishing spot. But on the way out I noticed my voltage at 12 v not the normal 13 or 14 with engine running....so no alternator at that point. I did drop anchor and we fished a few hours but we had to go back or fix it. I tried to flash the alternator feild but no luck. So as we were "barging" it back to port Valdez in calm and sunny conditions, 10 min into the return trip the boat suddenly went from 16MPH to 30 MPh and we were on step cruising!!
we burned off about 25 gal at 1.2 mpg on the way out. Apparently that 200 lb weight loss was at the tipping point of getting on step or not. I was then able to get to the factory recommended WOT RPM range (5k -5200). so we cruised back to Valdez at 2.1 mpg in time to locate a new alternator in Anchorage and we're waiting for it to arrive by air today. so hopefully tomorrow we will get another shot at going out again after the new alternator installation and removing all unnecessary stuff from the boat.
Attachments
on the road with my son
on the road with my son
getting snow for the boat coolers
getting snow for the boat coolers
full coolers
full coolers
Tfitz
Donator '16

Post by Tfitz »

I just took this photo of the water line with about 95 gal of gas and my son in the bow tied up at the Valdez harbor. Nice and toasty inside with the heater going and about to make bacon n eggs with OJ n coffee!! We have plenty of storage for everything, seating and cabin layout seems great at this point. loved my new chartplotter. We just need to get out of the harbor and get fishing!!!
Attachments
20160721_085044-resized-1400.jpg
Tfitz
Donator '16

Post by Tfitz »

Disregard all that was said about this boat being overloaded and not able to get on step. I figured out later(by reading the directions) that the trim tabs needed to be calibrated before fully operational and that they would sometime go full down and the control indicated full up! so full down trim tabs was our problem not overloaded. So after the trim tab and alternator issues everything worked great. The drum winch, cabin heater, hot box, fish cleaning table, grill and rod holders, fish box, wash down pump, sink, chartplotter and suspension seats all worked as expected or better. The biggest negative thing was that the ice holds didn't hold ice like I hoped. The snow in the fish box lasted about 2.5 days. The bow cooler was better but not great. My fuel economy with full tanks (135 gal) extended stay gear and food, fishing gear, ice and people was about 2.1 - 2.2mpg. @ 4600rpm and 28mph. And my WOT was 5200rpm @ 35mph. The economy greatly improved later in the trip when we dropped to two people and burned 1/2 the gas in the tank's I saw 2.6mpg @4600rpm and 28mph. I found out that I really didn't need trim tabs for anything but leveling the boat. I normally would start off with trim tabs full up and power trim full down, then as I pick up speed, two or 3 up "bumps" on the power trim button and I was on step and cruzing in the most efficient zone. No trim tabs need unless the boat was not level, then it took just a quick touch of the trim tab control button and I was level. The Garmin 7607xsv chartplotter was absolutely wonderful! It took me a couple days to fumble my way around and find the most useful things about it but what I've discovered so far is really cool. I can plainly see my halibut jig 120' down and bait balls or other fish passing under. The nav and fishing charts are awsome. love it. So far I wouldn't change anything about the cabin layout. Plenty of storage and seating for 4 people. But good sleeping for only 3. We only slept 2 this trip and that was perfect. The heater kept the cabin as warm as you wanted it and the windows fog free. The warm air from the heater ducted through the dash warmed up the whole dash just warm to the touch and it felt good and gave off a nice heat. Cooking was easy with lots of flat surfaces to work off of between the table and sink areas. Out of the 5 nights we stayed in the boat I used the grill 4 times. It worked great even in the rain and I could cook and stay dry under the cabin extension overhang. I never got to clean a big fish at the fish cleaning table but it worked great on the smaller ones we caught. The drum winch/ anchor puller was the best addition / modification i made! It made life so much easier to move around and fish hassel free. I never had to go on bow once! Press the button roll the anchor in. Press a button roll the anchor out. Just that slick and easy. 550' of 5/16 rope and 30' of 3/8 " chain with a 22lb bruce acchor held firm every drop this trip. loved it. The weather was pretty bad so I decided not to go out as far as I wanted so was mostly caught smaller fish. The biggest waves we saw were 5 footers. They trained me pretty quick to just slow down and ease through them (we both hit our head on the ceiling). So as you can probably tell I'm very happy with how the boat performed, makes all the time I spent beating on it seem like a distant bad dream. At this point I'm glad I entered into this project but very glad I'm about done.
Attachments
firs<br /><br />First fish on board was tiny but we grilled him up all the same
firs

First fish on board was tiny but we grilled him up all the same
We got our limit of mostly smaller fish but this was the biggest
We got our limit of mostly smaller fish but this was the biggest
in just a day or two of being in the water the boat took on a &quot; spawned out humpy&quot; look. kind of a streaked graying. Hope it all turns Gray at some point but its only a minor concern to me.
in just a day or two of being in the water the boat took on a " spawned out humpy" look. kind of a streaked graying. Hope it all turns Gray at some point but its only a minor concern to me.
ice harvest for the boat
ice harvest for the boat
fish box ice restock
fish box ice restock
kmorin

Post by kmorin »

Tfitz, glad you had a good maiden voyage of the newly remodeled Predator Control, sounds like a little learning and lots of enjoyment as a reward for the hours of work.

I've never had much luck with metal coolers/lockers/chests or holds, always ended up lining them with plastic to get the real thermal barrier, so the built-ins aren't a surprise to me that the ice thawed in a few days. Conduction is one of aluminum's strong suits! Super glad to hear the anchor winch worked well, that's a modification others may want to look close at adding to their own boats if they're cruising in waters where they spend time on the hook?

I'm not familiar with the type of trim tabs you have but in all trim systems, engine leg/outboard running angle included, the method I've seen most often to tune these settings are something like this: First get the boat running at some RPM, not WOT yet- just some high value say 75% or so? Next, without moving anyone one, any wt, add some engine tilt/tuck and watch the tach and horizon. If the bow is up, and goes down, then the tach will go up- but you don't move the throttle- just the trim of the leg or the tabs. Doing this exercise as different throttle settings and observing the trim and tach is supposed to be most reliable way to learn what balance settings for any given % of throttle works best.

The idea that the tach goes up without more throttle is that the boat's trim is more optimum and resistance has been lowered, and that goes for the angle of thrust of the leg/outboard and the trim tabs. This is essentially the same if you add a hydraulic transom jack to the mix- as well. In practice what all boats have is some bow up attitude at lower throttle, and flatter and flatter running attitude as power is added. The tabs will be pure drag below planing speed (as you found out?) and their effect will be greater pitch effect for less deg down as the overall speed increases.

Glad the hull balances well with the new modifications and existing power.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai
kmorin
Tfitz
Donator '16

Post by Tfitz »

This thread is getting less and less about alloy boat construction and more about alloy boat enjoyment! I think it's time to end this. It's all been great and fun to share the ideas and experiences of this boat remodel project. But it hasn't been ALL "great fun". There was many times I didn't know how I was going to go about building some component of this boat and you said something or gave me an idea or new direction to keep on the path away from building a "Frankenstein" boat. THANK YOU for that Kevin! Now we need to square up. You said one time you wanted some halibut and that's fine. I got extra. But you must have pretty good access to fish living in Kenai? How about some Moose sausage (If I get a moose next month). Or easier for me yet how about I become a ABB site supporter!!!!! You just tell me what you want for all the attention you paid to my project the last 2 years. You helped me build my dream boat. I love everything how it functions and turned out and it dosent get much better than that.
Attachments
Double / Doubles. We had 3 different times where we both reeled in two fish on both of our hooks at the same time. Most were small and we let them go. The action was fast n furious though
Double / Doubles. We had 3 different times where we both reeled in two fish on both of our hooks at the same time. Most were small and we let them go. The action was fast n furious though
Ling cod too
Ling cod too
took us a few days to get our 8 fish limit of this size fish
took us a few days to get our 8 fish limit of this size fish
my fish cleaning table works great!
my fish cleaning table works great!
picked a blue sky day to go ashore up to the high country and look for a buck
picked a blue sky day to go ashore up to the high country and look for a buck
we crossed some beautiful alpine valleys on the way to higher elevations where the bucks are this time of year
we crossed some beautiful alpine valleys on the way to higher elevations where the bucks are this time of year
20160803_120619-resized-1280.jpg
it's tough country to traverse. Very cliffy
it's tough country to traverse. Very cliffy
20160803_151342-resized-1280.jpg
after blowing the first stalk we came across this little guy who was just the right size to pack down the mountain. My son made a perfect head shot. Not an ounce of meat waisted and the antlers stayed with the bones.
after blowing the first stalk we came across this little guy who was just the right size to pack down the mountain. My son made a perfect head shot. Not an ounce of meat waisted and the antlers stayed with the bones.
it was still early in the day so we bagged the meat in heavy plastic bags and submerged them in the ice cold Creek 50yds away.
it was still early in the day so we bagged the meat in heavy plastic bags and submerged them in the ice cold Creek 50yds away.
and hiked to the top of Hitchenbrook Is just to look at deer and see the view.
and hiked to the top of Hitchenbrook Is just to look at deer and see the view.
From this one spot we counted 35 deer Lounging in the sun spread out in different sized groups. Out of all those deer only one was a very nice size buck that we stalked within 100yds of just for fun. We had enough meat to pack down already so we were not hunting at that point.
From this one spot we counted 35 deer Lounging in the sun spread out in different sized groups. Out of all those deer only one was a very nice size buck that we stalked within 100yds of just for fun. We had enough meat to pack down already so we were not hunting at that point.
The little speck is PC waiting for us in the bay. We were well over half way down when I took this photo
The little speck is PC waiting for us in the bay. We were well over half way down when I took this photo
We had deer ribs on the Barbi with corn on the cob that night
We had deer ribs on the Barbi with corn on the cob that night
I reluctantly let go several 30 lbers before I finally hooked a bigger fish. This was the last one before we limited out. Perfect size to fill the freezer
I reluctantly let go several 30 lbers before I finally hooked a bigger fish. This was the last one before we limited out. Perfect size to fill the freezer
Tfitz
Donator '16

Post by Tfitz »

oh I wanted to say I greatly improved the bow ice compartment insulation by covering all the aluminum with foil bubble wrap from Home Depot and 1/2" of sheet closed cell "Armaflex" pipe insulation foam. The ice stayed for 5 days in the bow keeping 1/2 of the fish, the deer and our food cold all that time and we still had a full cooler of glacier ice to dump in the driveway after all the meat was in the freezer.
kmorin

Post by kmorin »

Tfitz, congratulations on the trip, and a "nicely done" on the design and work. I'm glad you're in the water, the systems worked and the boat performed in all the ways you wanted. You've shown the Forum what a determined owner can do with a welded boat remodel and that's been a great read for those of us in the armchair admiral department.

Sorry that my ribbing about sending halibut was seen as serious !!! (?) I was feebly trying to be funny, but as confirmed, my writing skills are not very well developed. However, as you've offered, I'd appreciate if you'd make a contribution of both your time and money to the Forum in the future. I know it takes a few minutes to read, reflect and reply with a post, and too many readers don't bother (IMO). So it would be a great contribution to the AAB.com Forum if you'd make a regular drop by to read, comment and even go back in your archive and show examples of your work, and explain how you solved any given problem/project/element of your boat.

To me, comments about how you designed the project (from engine covers, to stove mounts; & from helm layouts to ice chests) including such details as materials, overall final shape and use, welding considerations and all those types of details are interesting reading.

Regarding contributing to the Forum as a dues sending Member; I always argue that its good manners to leave a " jug for the shop". If you drop by someone's shop to get a 'tack on something'- I say it was just common courtesy to leave his favorite brand of adult beverage or a few bucks(?) for his trouble.

I usually explain, annually in some post here, that I was raised by an old school guy among his friends and it was considered good manners to leave wood chopped, dry and split at a cabin when you used one during your hunt. It was considered only reasonable to pull the well's plunger (it if had a well?) and put "lard on the leather" to keep it flexible and if you left priming water- you left it in a can with some top cover so it could freeze and swell but not burst. So I consider it good manners to anyone who's come to welder's online aluminum boat building shop (AAB.com Forum) and hung out- to send an annual contribution to help defer the costs to keep the site open?

I enjoyed giving you some feedback, a continuous hard time and my opinions since I'm not building at this time and it sure made your project interesting to me- hopefully the Forum's readers as well? Glad that you felt there was some aid in hearing all the flack I handed out, even if you had to please the boat's Skipper over -armchair admiral's advice.

If it were easy to do, if it was all just pure fun, and if boat building didn't involve a few serious headaches: then our sisters would do it and we'd be looking for work! Thanks for sharing with the Forum all during your project and please make sure we can enjoy future fishing and hunting trips on the Predator Control.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Tfitz
Donator '16

Post by Tfitz »

Will do. Thanks Kevin!
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

Amazing project! Fun and informative read! You should be very proud of your accomplishments...safe boating to you!!
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
Tfitz
Donator '16

Post by Tfitz »

Pjay, I'm glad you found this project fun and a worthwhile read. I think I feel more lucky at how things turned out rather than proud. My building and design methods were pretty crude and I was always "shooting from the hip". But Thank You for the kind words. SAFE boating to you in your world as well.
Tonight I put my fold down radar arch to the test backing the boat into my cold storage area. Like everything else on this boat, it was a tight fit.... but it worked and 100% custom!
Attachments
20160808_185757-resized-1400.jpg
Tfitz
Donator '16

Post by Tfitz »

Hello Kevin! We are on the hook, waiting for weather to pass and I have an awesome internet connection out at Hitchenbrook is. I thought it would of interest to update this long forgotten thread with some of the finish improvements I made over the winter. Hope all is well with you. Im doing fine and pretty happy with the boats build and overall performance.
Attachments
I put two new axles under this trailer equipped with 4 Kodiak disk brakes and lines. Rewired it too
I put two new axles under this trailer equipped with 4 Kodiak disk brakes and lines. Rewired it too
Covered the foam insulation with thin aluminum sheeting. After the sheeting was cut to fit, I put dots of spray foam about every 6&quot; square to support and keep the ceiling from tin canning. Then pop rivited in place. feels solid and is light weight.
Covered the foam insulation with thin aluminum sheeting. After the sheeting was cut to fit, I put dots of spray foam about every 6" square to support and keep the ceiling from tin canning. Then pop rivited in place. feels solid and is light weight.
I like coat hangers
I like coat hangers
more coat hangers here and inside, behind the cabin entry door
more coat hangers here and inside, behind the cabin entry door
here is inside the cabin trunk area. I added a deep tray that wraps both sides. Covered the spray foam with 1/2 soft sheet foam. Then covered that with a water proof heavy duty seat cover material. Pretty labor intense I know but the sheet foam was free. As you can see the cushions work but don't exactly fit, They were also free from a junk boat
here is inside the cabin trunk area. I added a deep tray that wraps both sides. Covered the spray foam with 1/2 soft sheet foam. Then covered that with a water proof heavy duty seat cover material. Pretty labor intense I know but the sheet foam was free. As you can see the cushions work but don't exactly fit, They were also free from a junk boat
if you look close you can see all the storage lights are light with LED strip lights
if you look close you can see all the storage lights are light with LED strip lights
The bright spot is Sun shining in through the port window
The bright spot is Sun shining in through the port window
another shot looking forward
another shot looking forward
shot taken looking towards the stern from the cabin trunk
shot taken looking towards the stern from the cabin trunk
Circuit breaker panel and wall mount map storage tray. And under seat compartment starboard side.
Circuit breaker panel and wall mount map storage tray. And under seat compartment starboard side.
Same under seat storage port side
Same under seat storage port side
My youngest son and I yesterday near the Hitchenbrook / Montague PWS entrance. We caught 3 fish between 65 -75lbs then quit because that was enough meat for us.
My youngest son and I yesterday near the Hitchenbrook / Montague PWS entrance. We caught 3 fish between 65 -75lbs then quit because that was enough meat for us.
The blue dot is where were at right now letting this front pass. We're going to try and find some rock fish and Pacific COD Tommow before we call this trip over. We dropped shrimp pots on the way out so we'll check them on the way back.
The blue dot is where were at right now letting this front pass. We're going to try and find some rock fish and Pacific COD Tommow before we call this trip over. We dropped shrimp pots on the way out so we'll check them on the way back.
Tfitz
Donator '16

Post by Tfitz »

Just a few photos I just took around the boat now.
Attachments
Behind the door coat hooks and cooking / sink set up
Behind the door coat hooks and cooking / sink set up
table and seating
table and seating
looking out rear window toward stern. Notice the black cover on the back side of the engine cover? Thats my propane bottle. After you criticized the location I had inside my sink cabinet it got me thinking that you were right again. It took me months to figure out a better/safer /useful multipurpose spot that vents outside the boat and was convenient, and also serves as an awesome 3rd seat location for fishing off the stern. (remove bottle and I have a foam seat that fits in were the tank is
looking out rear window toward stern. Notice the black cover on the back side of the engine cover? Thats my propane bottle. After you criticized the location I had inside my sink cabinet it got me thinking that you were right again. It took me months to figure out a better/safer /useful multipurpose spot that vents outside the boat and was convenient, and also serves as an awesome 3rd seat location for fishing off the stern. (remove bottle and I have a foam seat that fits in were the tank is
kmorin

Post by kmorin »

Tfitz, as usual your project encourages others to see what can be done with a metal boat! Lots of very well thought out details- I think you've packed more into a boat that size than I've seen in boats much larger? I am glad to see the gas bottle on the after deck, not that your gas lines would leak but better aft than in the bunks!

Hope the trip has some more clearing weather? We went from the front end of the front you're sitting out- to sun this am here in Kenai, suppose we'll get the back side in a day or so? Yesterday had high winds and driving rain- our first real soaker of the season, I was glad to be in a shop working on a dry floor!

Thanks for posting, nice looking flat fish, most we see regularly are chicks- they've been heavily fished in our side of the Peninsula.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
kmorin
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic