Boat plans

Mods and custom builds
DLC

Boat plans

Post by DLC »

Hello all I am working on a boat desgin and woundering if anyone could take a look and tell me if it will be strong enuff.
I would like to know how much it will weigh iff i can change it to make it easer to build ect.

i am thinking 1/4 inch 5086 for the bottom ans 3/16 5086 for the sides deck and floor.

In that pic each square is 2x2 inch the boat is 20 feet long 54 inches wide at the chine and 78 inches at the gunwale.
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Re: Boat plans

Post by kmorin »

DLC, what you have is a concept sketch, roughly to scale, and I think you could find out the rough wt by making the assumption that each hull panel is a rectangle? I mean there is a little taper in the bottom at the bow, and some in the topsides as the scow ramps up a bit... but if you just consider those rectangles for the estimate then simply find the area and multiply by the wt of the material for that area.

If 1/4" aluminum weighs 3.46 lb.s per square foot and you have a 100 square feet, then that panel will add that 346lb.s to the total. Yes, I know the areas will be over, and so will the real wt. due to the tapers mentioned above; but the wt will be close.

Plans are when the lines (what you've begun to draw) are finalized, and all the structural elements are defined and drawn in all three views.

We can't really talk about
DLC wrote:and woundering if anyone could take a look and tell me if it will be strong enuff.
until we knew what the framing looked like?

If I see the sketches correctly (they're a little faintly drawn) the sides are planned to have full boxed in triangular box beams along the sides? That is usually an extremely strong design, and if you're planning to build that entire structure in 3/16" (0.187") 5356? Then I'd say the boat was super strong.

The bottom framing and deck beams or interior framing is not all that clear, but in general again, if the bottom is 1/4" and the deck is 3/16" (!!!) that is going to be one strong scow/jonboat/pram/skiff.

not sure if this is any help but without frame sections, spacing, hull longs defined and the other final design elements shown? that's about all the could be said in reply- IMO.

http://www.onlinemetals.com/calculator.cfm handy metals calculator link online

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
DLC

Post by DLC »

Thats one of my problems i don't know how the framing should be built.
It looks like I am around 850 pounds before the framing goes in.
I was thinking a 1x1 box tube every 2 feet from under the deck to the side of the boat and then running a 2x2x1/4 angle full length on the inside of them.
Any suggestions on how to frame the floor its 6 inches above the bottom.
Thanks
Goingfishing

Post by Goingfishing »

image.jpg
Hope this might help.

This is a picture of the framing during construction in a 19' punt I recently built. Firstly after pulling the nose up into shape I welded in 5x longitudinals full length of the hull 50mmx 6mm these were cut from a sheet of 5083 and spaced equal distance from centre line out to the chine. All the tranverses/cross members were cut from 4mm sheet and cut to fit into the hull shape and slotted so they fitted over the longitudinals and welded to the bottom of the hull, a 50mmx6mm flat bar welded to the top of the transverse this provides the support for the deck to sit on and be welded to. Have photos of this build from start to Finnish if you are looking for ideas.

Sorry about the metric sizing we Australians know no different.
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

Goingfishing, thanks for the post & picture, we'd love to see your entire build photo series. I'd suggest that you start a new thread/topic and post all the photos you'd like? I'm interested to know if the 5.8 meter (19') LOA is designed- or did the material come 6m (19.5') and your design 'curled' up the bow to result in the shorter length?

The bottom shape is sure interesting, looks like a shallow camber? I'm not positive from the photo, could be a V shape? Did the transverse, notched ribs go in before the longs were welded?

She sure looks stoutly built. Will she have a welded in deck? I've got lots of questions and would sure enjoy watching as you build her. Thanks again for the pic, looking forward to more.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic