Suggestions? 25' Workskiff ideas..

Mods and custom builds
alaskabrett

Suggestions? 25' Workskiff ideas..

Post by alaskabrett »

Hello.
      I have done some looking around on this forum and am very impressed. I know that there is a lot of reading to be done and lot of knowledge to be gained.  I'm looking to do some modifications to my 25' Workskiff and would like to share them before I finalize the plans  Hoping for some input.  I use the boat for recreation and for some light duty commercial in Prince William Sound and the other areas around South Central Alaska.
      It’s a nice, study boat, built to take a beating.  I has a self-bailing deck with two approx 3” scuppers in back.  Powered with 225HP Suzuki w/four blade prop.  Top speed is around 42mph and comfortably cruises around 30mph.  We redid all the wiring and electronics and I feel that was done very well and it has held up to the abuse very well.  
       The following is my wish list (In order of priority)
1. remove old patch on keel, repair and add new patch if necessary.  This is a must do as old patch is leaking a bit (will do this month)

2. Cut scuppers in bow and cover with “half bullet” or “tee pee” shape on the outside of hull.   Currently the bow drains with 1/2” aluminum tubing running back through the house and to scuppers in stern.  The boat is very seaworthy but with the huge bowspace a big wave into the bow that doesn’t drain could sink it in a storm.   Scuppers could help.   Another idea is some sort of cover that can but put on the bow in a storm to try to deflect some water.  (Will do this month)

3. Extend Tophouse about 18”.  Probably flair the extension out toward the rails and run some gutters so that it doesn’t drain inside the boat. (Will do this month if I come up with good design, can afford and can find reasonably priced and available welder)

4. Move rocket launchers to sides of the top house expansion, parallel with gunwale. (Will do this month if I come up with good design, can afford and can find reasonably priced and available welder)

5. Fabricate a locking glovebox for passenger side.  Anyone know of a good “bolt in” one that I can just buy and install?  (Need to do in next few months)

6. Install a good adjustable kicker bracket.  I’m having trouble deciding on one that will hold up. (Would like to do this season)

7. “Oh #$*t” handles on top of house for walking the rail forward (Will do this month if I come up with good design, can afford and can find reasonably priced and available welder)

8. Radar Arch/Storage (Will do this month if I come up with good design, can afford and can find reasonably priced and available welder)

9. Install wash down pump, Probably won’t do a through hull, instead will have a pickup hose that I’ll put in the water as needed for now.. (Need to do in next few months)

10. Install tube aluminum that extend below the waterline to act as water pickups.  I’d like to have water that I can use to circulate on the fish that I catch.   Also I’d like to be able to shut this off.   I have thought that perhaps these tubes could even be removable and could have an inline pump so I can grab and circulate water when the boat is at idle……  (Will do this month if I come up with good design, can afford and can find reasonably priced and available welder)

11. Cut in a fish storage locker below deck….probably in the floor at the center of the house.  (Questioning if this is possible and advisable…this wouldn’t happen until after this season I don’t think.   Could I set it up to circulate with water from the water pickups on #10)?

12. Possibly create some semi wet storage by cutting open lockers on either side of the saddle fuel tanks in the stern.  (Again, a future project…..would it be draining too much water into the bilge…)

13. Possibly create storage box and separate plumbed in tank for a small (2KW?) generator.  My fishing gear is electric (Electra-Dyne….they rock) and I end up having to idle the engine at a high speed to keep the battery juice up.  Not the most efficient way but I worry about fires with a generator onboard.  

14. With the extended cabin drop some canvas down to enclose the cabin at night…..another benefit of the extended cabin is that feet when be covered when the bench folds down into a bed and the canvas would make it all the more comfortable.   (would do over next couple months is the cabin extension happens)

15. Add setup to heat the cabin.   Currently it’s a Mr. Buddy I borrow from my buddy….

Photos to follow....

Thanks

Brett
Attachments
You can see the failing patch here
You can see the failing patch here
Extension of cabin would need to extend laterally towards rails otherwise rainwater would drip onto deck
Extension of cabin would need to extend laterally towards rails otherwise rainwater would drip onto deck
Possibly put a fishhold in the floor here.  Would be near centerline of the boat.   Wondering how weight will change performance, especially if plumbed to be a livewell
Possibly put a fishhold in the floor here. Would be near centerline of the boat. Wondering how weight will change performance, especially if plumbed to be a livewell
Big open bow.   Needs scupper and possibly some sort of removable cover.  You can see where I store my kicker now.   Need a solution that puts kicker on the transom for storage and use.   Bow area might be best place to put a generator but maybe it would get too beat up?
Big open bow. Needs scupper and possibly some sort of removable cover. You can see where I store my kicker now. Need a solution that puts kicker on the transom for storage and use. Bow area might be best place to put a generator but maybe it would get too beat up?
Create or install locking glovebox here.
Create or install locking glovebox here.
Saddle fuel tanks are under the deck here.  They are basically on the mideline and are 50gal tanks.  I think they extend forward a little past the binboards you can see in the photo.   Contemplating a couple wet storage lockers below decks on either side of the fuel tanks.
Saddle fuel tanks are under the deck here. They are basically on the mideline and are 50gal tanks. I think they extend forward a little past the binboards you can see in the photo. Contemplating a couple wet storage lockers below decks on either side of the fuel tanks.
Extend the top of this house back to create an awning over rear deck.   Add grab handles on the top and possibly a radar rack or even a storage area for a liferaft.
Extend the top of this house back to create an awning over rear deck. Add grab handles on the top and possibly a radar rack or even a storage area for a liferaft.
Tfitz
Donator '16

Re: Suggestions? 25' Workskiff ideas..

Post by Tfitz »

I don't want to discourage you but a little reality helps make realistic plans. Your ideas are probably all possible but metal fabrication takes time. I just did most of those modifications to my boat and I've been working on it over a year and I'm still not done! And aluminum welders are busy people. My experience has been they have one price, no deals and wait 4 weeks to even get to your job. If you can't weld your better off doing all the engineering/fabrication yourself (90% of the work) and have the hired welder just WELD. Just my opinion for what it's worth.
alaskabrett

Post by alaskabrett »

Thanks. That's exactly the kind of opinions I'm looking for!
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

IMG_1522.jpg
"Will do this month if I come up with good design, can afford and can find reasonably priced and available welder" sounds like job #1

The bow scuppers could be as easy as drilling a 2" hole in the back corners out through the side with a hole saw like they do on open bow Hewescrafts
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic