Vinyl wrap

Mods and custom builds
ReelSong

Vinyl wrap

Post by ReelSong »

With todays new high tech vinyl wraps, has anyone had any expieriance with wrapping an alloy boat? pro's, Con's , any idea what prep needs to be. I know most of you like to keep them raw, but I really liked the paint on my last build, and it still looks great 6 years later, but after almost killing myself painting it, I'm condidering a cool vinyl wrap on the Cope Patrol build, just not sure how well it holds up and what you think. Just wonering as I'm getting close to rolling again on the build. I have pretty much finished weld out and interior structural, so starting to think about exterior colors.
ReelSong.jpg
Last build with paint
sanded cope.jpg
Current build raw and sanded
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: Vinyl wrap

Post by Chaps »

A lot of alloy boats come through my shop and I see quite a bit of vinyl on hull sides. For the most part it seems to hold up better than paint. It will get puffy in spots if moisture gets under it like at welds, scratches or after-the-fact hull penetrations. The best looking jobs over time seem to be where the vinyl is a band about 12-18 inches wide that follows the gunwale with a bare side below that to the waterline. Looks like you have a natural seam running full length that would provide a bottom border for that. Keep the vinyl about an inch above that and also keep it away from the welds around the hawse pipes. The stuff sticks the best on very smooth substrate.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic