BAYRUNNER KEEL WATER

Mods and custom builds
Ddrsuz

BAYRUNNER KEEL WATER

Post by Ddrsuz »

I have a 20'-6 Bayrunner. 1985 or so. After a day of running the transom drain shows no water. However, there is an aluminum member the length of the keel that has a small hole near the stern. At the end of the day, with the boat trailered,this will drain a few gallons of water.
Previous owner said don't plug the little hole. Is this the way it needs to work?
Klamath,who now makes the boats, had no input, except to say in some places on their current boats, they include drains in case the boat is operated in areas subject to freezing.
Any thoughts would be appreciated
Dennis
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: BAYRUNNER KEEL WATER

Post by Chaps »

A photo or two of the keel component that is filling with water would help . . .
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

Ddrsuz, if the keel piece as you mention is external- say riveted on outside the hull? then, its possible this shape holds water and needs to drain when on the trailer? Without pictures or more exact description of the "aluminum member" I can't tell if its internal (cause for concern) or external (no big deal; let it drain).

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Ddrsuz

Post by Ddrsuz »

Thanx kmorin, I will get u a picture, but I would say the piece of alum. Looks to be an external support or binding piece.
kmorin

Post by kmorin »

Ddrsuz, if the piece is vaguely V shaped with flanges off the Vs' tips to the horizontal so that shape could be riveted to the hull bottom- regardless if its incorporated into a keel seam of any kind..... then

I'd say the external piece should be drained/vented/pieced to insure there is no residual water left in the shaped piece.

If the boat were welded and had a V shape (inverted angle for example) that was stitch welded (common practice) I'd insure there was a low point drain and do in my builds. If the centerline keel piece were continuous welded (?) I'd drain it if there was no air test to (min.) 3 psig to insure there was no void that could vacuum in water that could shift ph and promote corrosion.

So..... if the skiff is riveted and has an external 'keel' or shape at the keel's lowest point- I'd want it to drain aft at the low point, and expect it to empty when it was trailered up the ramp.

cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Ddrsuz

Post by Ddrsuz »

IMG_0097.JPG
IMG_0092.JPG
IMG_0093.JPG
IMG_0094.JPG
IMG_0095.JPG
IMG_0096.JPG
included are the photos along the keel from the stern, then moving forward to the taper near the stern. I also show the point near the bow where the channel tapers to a smaller size the that extends to all the way up the bow rise. The channel is welded, but in some places small welding gaps have been sealed with various heat sensitive sealers. The files got a little out of order, the top is obvioiusly the bow, the second is the stern, the third is the drain hole near the stern, the fourth is the start of the transition at the stern, the fifth is the transition near the bow, the sixth is just forward of the stern transition.
thanks for any observations.
Dennis
kmorin

Post by kmorin »

Ddrsuz, looks external, not pressure tested, wear type adder, and should not be sealed unless pressure tested so: drill holes in the lowest point- it should drain and fill in normal use.

You may want to consider some acid washing the corrosion is starting to show? unless those are salt 'blossoms' from being in spray and dried without rinsing- your boat is showing some corrosion sites.

cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Ddrsuz

Post by Ddrsuz »

Thanks Kevin, and at 35 or so years old, I guess some acid wash is in order. It gets a wash down after use, so I will try to find a place to do the wash. Right now the boat is on my concrete bridge driveway, and concrete and acid are not usually happy partners. Hahaha.
Any suggestion on the product for the wash, as there are several joints that a previous owner used a heated sealant on, is it likely that the acid wash will wreck those?
Dennis
Stumpalump

Post by Stumpalump »

I just looked at the keel on the two Bayrunners I have. The 18 open that I just bought is just like yours. Yours looks like some extra welding may have been done but the extrusion and size of the drain hole is identical. The 16.5 has a really nice I-beam looking extrusion so no hole needed. Good news is that it's for sale!
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/boa/6108880840.html
Ddrsuz

Post by Ddrsuz »

Wow, a man with 2 Bayrunners, u must be royalty. Bet u will have some action on the sale.
Dennis
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic