Attaching Cushions To Aluminum Seats

Mods and custom builds
ehsvp

Attaching Cushions To Aluminum Seats

Post by ehsvp »

I've fabricated the interior seating for my boat out of aluminum that was left over from the water jet cutting process. The seats will have storage under them with pullout drawers. I'm wondering what would be the best way to attach the seat cushions to the seat backs and bottoms. The seat backs and bottoms are made of 3/16" aluminum. I could install plywood on the bottoms of the cushions and screw them to the seats. This seems like overkill for fastening cushions to a very sturdy seat frame. The seat backs will not be accessible from the inside of the seat frame. I'm wondering if any of you have used velcro or snaps to fasten seat backs and bottoms.

Bob
welderbob
Donator ,15

Re: Attaching Cushions To Aluminum Seats

Post by welderbob »

The canvas guys have lots of tricks.
1. use a track along the back edge of the cushion and a few snap to hold the front down. (pop Rivet the track down with aluminum rivets)
2.if you need a backing in the cushion, use pvc board instead of plywood
3. watch what you use for foam, outside cushion should be closed cell foam, you don't get a wet BACK SIDE when you sit on them.

welderbob
ehsvp

Post by ehsvp »

Thanks Bob, can you post a link of what the tracks look like?

Bob
welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

http://tacomarine.com/product/V15-0034/ ... ry-Welting

the welting is sewn into the cushion and one of the tracks on the bottom of the page is attached to the boat and cushion is slide in place.
Bob
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic