lifting the hard top on a pacific 23?

Mods and custom builds
slug420

lifting the hard top on a pacific 23?

Post by slug420 »

ahoy there

I am looking at a used 23' Pacific with the hard top....one problem I am anticipating (havent seen this particular boat in person just yet) based on seeing the pacifics at the boston boat show last year is that at 6'6" (my height) the hard top might only barely be high enough for me. Since it is all made of aluminum which I am guessing is slightly harder than my head I am thinking I might need to have it lifted by a couple inches.

Can this be done? would it be very difficult? How much is this going to cost me (I do not know how to weld) ?
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Being under one just a few times I'd think you'll have 6" over your head.

Most "tops" in general are 7". Maybe a "Hard topper" here can confirm the exact heigth for us. And chime in on the difficulty level.

I'm sure other tall'ish people own them and have no huge problems.

Yeah, I'd expect it to cost decent money. Just because there's cutting and welding involved. And probably a T-top shop can and would do it. Adding a "spacer" amount of aluminum, above the winshield and below the "top", then having to extend the rear support bars too.

It would be a project, I'm sure

.....only 6'1" and I don't do "tops", myself. Prefer topless-ness, and no tan lines!
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

http://www.pacificboats.com/23ht.pdf

It looks like clearance is only 76"
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Hmmm.

Looks like a FACTORY MODIFICATION, is then in order...damn I'd hate to cut up a "tank", to just get in it.

C'C'mon.....
slug420

Post by slug420 »

just an update. I went to check out the boat. It actually has had the T-Top extended a little bit to be the full width of the boat. The owner put some veritcal supports in for these extensions to accomodate the canvas he had made for it.

I dont really care for the look with these extensions and thought it might have been a tough call to keep them for the curtains and all the shade they provide or lose them since having those vertical supports in the way kind of kills the openness of a center console....I dont have a choice in the matter because while the hard top is JUST tall enough to accomodate me (if i stand up straight my head touches the dome light) those t-top extensions are about 4 inches too low and must go.

Not sure if I am going to jump on this boat or not....I keep going back and forth....the hull isnt in the best shape (lots of pitting and dings and whatnot on the front and a couple dents underneath up front), I am not sure how good it will look once the seller cuts off his t-top extensions and attempts to grind down the nubs where it is welded to the boat, the console on this is actually a bit farther back than in the current pacifics, and im having a hard time figuring out what a good price is for one of these with the soft market and the limited sample size of recently sold or currently for sale 23's....
S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

I am not fond of that top either...it forces you to pass the rod around the supports if fighting a big fish. I agree with you, it kind of ruins the idea of an open fishing boat.

What year is the boat? Did you get any other pics and closeups of the other areas of concern(pitting)? I wouldn't worry about dents, but you could use it to your dealing advantage. It looks like a Yamaha back there...225?
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
slug420

Post by slug420 »

yamaha 250

boat is an '01

the hull "damage" isnt pitting from electrolysis AFAIK, looks more like it was bumping lightly into some rocks or something for a period of time. Not dented but a lot of scrapes in the surface. zinc plate is the original and looked ok. Also he never had it in a wet slip, always trailered it, and the pitting/dings/scrapes are primarily above the waterline. Unfortunately I dont have any pictures of it. Just noticed them when I went back a second time to look at it and didnt have my camera on me at the time.
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

NO, NO, NO!

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

Slug420,

No offense, but Whip out the SAWSALL! That top has to go! Let a professional make you a higher larger, but not that large a tee top, That thing is a real mess!

What do you really want from the top, is it sun shade, rod storage, looks??? THe rest of the boat looks fine. Marty
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I have to say......your hard top comments were just comments till I now see that dang Top on that thing......what was the owner thinking?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Obviously not resale value. As you should always think, when dealing with big boy Toys.

What an ugly deal that is. Sorry, but that's my first impression. :roll:

Have sawzall will travel??

"Good Night Irene!!!! I'll be working in the barn all night."

I'd offer a vastly discounted price to the owner, because of his bad judgement. If its a yes, head straight to a home depot for a bag of sawzall blades. If not, let someone else deal with the abortionized hard top.

Or I'd call Jay and get me a new one with everything perfect for a tall guy, and be done with it.

But thats just me......I love to S.O.P.M. (spend other peoples money)
slug420

Post by slug420 »

haha, I agree with you guys

There is no way I would be keeping those extensions. The owner LOVES them though! He even commented to me (jokingly of course) as I was leaving that he was thinking he would rather just sawzall my legs than touch the top :)

Either way he said he would remove the extensions and the posts for me (he has all the equipment). I just wonder how pretty it will be along the rails where the posts used to be welded and along the sides of the hardtop where the extensions used to be attached....probably not very.

I love the idea of just having jay build me a new one to my specs...sadly thats not even close to being in my budget :(
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I'm sure the SCARS of that terrible mistake he made will be highly present on the gunnel extrusion and on the sides of the hard top.

Actually, I hope everyone see's that pic and knows what not to do by looking at it.

If the $$ is right...(just guessing low teens). Then what the hell... old motor, trailer, and abortionized hard top, what really is the guy wanting.
We'll easily be able to tell ya "YEAH, or....... forget it", stay looking.

I'd rather have a smaller boat, with less thats functional and dependable than an older one that may end up costing any how. But thats just me.
My boat was simple and cost probably alot less than many Pacific here on AAB.com because it's no frills.

Is that boat 23 with nice t-top and live well and honda 130 still for sale in the Fla. pan handle?.......SL DAVE is our official boat searcher. He may know.
slug420

Post by slug420 »

yea I have seent he one you are talking about in Alabama, looks like it is still for sale.

For the record this boat has a full assortment of Raymarine electronics, seller says about 15k worth. Motor is a 2005 Yamaha 4 stroke 250 which I could get an extended warranty on if I bought it now (before warranty runs out in 2-3 weeks).

He was asking 45k. Has said he is open to offers and I dont think he is thinking anything lower than very high 30s....meanwhile my initial offer was 31, am thinking of my final offer being 35, but all this thought about the weld "residue" and whatnot I am wondering if I really want to spend 35k on this...
S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

Here is an old listing from a couple of years ago for price comparison
38,500 with the T-top and BF 130. Said it does about 32 WOT cruise low - mid 20's. It looks identical to the Alabama boat. http://www.allcoast.com/discussion/View ... c_ID=78756

This one is also still for sale It is a 2025 and and the owner is a very high quality gentleman I have heard...
http://www.boatquest.com/All/Manufactur ... boats.aspx
Last edited by S L Dave on Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Slug,
That guy used that boat down in RI and just bought a Glacier Cat if I'm not mistaken. He was in the same campground my parents are in.

He fished it a lot, and if I remember he had a wrap around enclosure of some sort (green I think)
slug420

Post by slug420 »

yep, thats the guy. Thats the reason he hadded the posts to the corners of his T-Top extensions, to allow for that full canvas he has for it. He actually mentioned the cat. Said he bought a share in one a while back, then got the Pacific when he thought someone was going to buy out his share on the cat, that didnt pan out and he wound up with a pacific and part of a cat. One of them had to go and although he prefers the Pacific he couldnt get out of the other boat....something like that

Point Judith is actually one of the spots I was hoping to fish with this as my friend has a cottage down there. I noticed that is an area you frequent (I have seen you over on THT) and I was surprised that I havent seen your boat around. Guess im not down there often enough :)
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Alloy better not be on THT talking alloy boats!

That grounds for; having to go on vacation with Bullshipper for a month, on a very small dingy....... :shock:

OUCH! That would hurt.

-----

45 GRAND you said??? With that goofy azz top???? He's in BAZARO land.

31K offered...oh gawd dang, I'd walk! And again , say "Good night Irene!"

Go order a new boat man!!!!! Or wait to find a better deal.

if the extended warrenty is over soon, thats a mute point.
A powerhead can blow anytime, especially on a 2 stroker replacement is usually between 4-5 grand. That trailer doesn't look all that "modern"either.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Slug,
I'm in Charlestown and travel up to CC chasing charlie tuna/cod/haddock etc.........

You're more than welcome to run mine sometime.

From what I remember he used it for Fluke & Striper's, but fished it every weekend he could. My guess would be around 400 hrs on her???

I launch at Hanson's at the top of the salt pond on Rt.1

There is also a 26' Pacific down there that I know of, a 23' over in Quonny, and I see another 23' at the "Mud Hole" a couple times a year.

I'd low ball it then modify it.............
slug420

Post by slug420 »

JETTYWOLF wrote:Alloy better not be on THT talking alloy boats!

That grounds for; having to go on vacation with Bullshipper for a month, on a very small dingy....... :shock:

OUCH! That would hurt.

-----

45 GRAND you said??? With that goofy azz top???? He's in BAZARO land.

31K offered...oh gawd dang, I'd walk! And again , say "Good night Irene!"

Go order a new boat man!!!!! Or wait to find a better deal.

if the extended warrenty is over soon, thats a mute point.
A powerhead can blow anytime, especially on a 2 stroker replacement is usually between 4-5 grand. That trailer doesn't look all that "modern"either.
I am getting closer to walking....the extended warranty on the motor hasnt begun. the basic warranty is about to expire and i have the opportunity to buy an extended warranty (for up to 3 years) if I buy the boat before the warranty is up- the motor is a $20,000 FOUR stroke '05. Says there are only 100 hours on it.

Thanks for the offer AlloyToy....I have been staring at pacifics for a while now...but still havent been out on the water in one :)
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

I'm there the week of the 4th but will have no PC access..............

Depending on the Tuna bite I may be on the Cape too.................

Or out at Block at night Bass fishing 8)

Maybe we can put something together then, but bare in mind I only run a 150 4S on mine.................and have no problem doing so :D

Capt. Dave you crack me up!!! :lol: I'm careful.........I don't want anymore fines from the board........I need it for gas :D
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

HERE'S A SWEET HEART.....
and its also in AAB's boats for sale section, yeah....!

For the same kinda of $$

This is Welders momma uncle of something like that. The Guy was an airline pilot, and you can bet he took care of his shet :!:

2025V with more goodies than Pamela Anderson has.

http://www.boatquest.com/All/Manufactur ... boats.aspx[/img]

The guy never rode you in the goofy topped boat??
What a salesman!
S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

That 2025 is a nice boat.

AND this one didn't sell on Ebay...maybe the guy still has it? It's in NH.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 28272&rd=1

I can't find anything else on the internet for sale right now (Pacific/BlackLabs anyway)...anyone else?
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

S.L. Dave, that boat reminds me of a small Pilot Boat, witrh those seats in the cabin.......kicking back till it's time to climb up that ships rope ladder.
slug420

Post by slug420 »

well out of my price range but i found this on craigslist. 2006 26' in seattle with twin 140s

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/719634295.html
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

That's why I posted that V2025. Same sort of $$ as Mr. Goofy Top.
But way better :!:

Yeah that 26 cabin I think started at 80K! About 6 months ago, in a very weak market.

Let the economy and luxury toy market completely fall on it's face in the next year or two, and you'll be surprised what you'll find, then. If you still can afford a play toy, by then.

I truely believe, this ain't going to get better before it gets much, much worse.

Luxury service biz 12 long hard years....and holding :?:
slug420

Post by slug420 »

just an update guys.....I told the guy I was gonna pass on the boat and let him know my reasons.

Its just as well...his rock bottom price was quite a bit above the 35 number I was working with.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic