RIP Marty(Ironwoodtuna)

Dedicated to the spirit of Marty McMillan
legend3521

RIP Marty(Ironwoodtuna)

Post by legend3521 »

So sorry to bring the very tragic news for the 1st time poster.

At 10 AM this morning on channel 16, Capt. Johnny DeMaio from the Vivienne try to save a fisherman that went overboard at the rips, The fisherman was Marty MacMillan , Johnny D found Marty, and try to revive Marty but was too late, Marty was fishing with his son 16 y/o Cody when the accident happen , Marty was a surfcaster before he went into boating. Marty docked his boat at Westlake Marina.

Capt. Donald :sad: :sad: :sad:
Bugdiver

Re: RIP Marty(Ironwoodtuna)

Post by Bugdiver »

I'm very sorry to hear about Marty. I always looked forward to his posts. very sad.
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

Report of what happened.. RIP.
http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/200 ... horro.html

Dad Marty McMillan dies in fishing horror

BY DEBBIE TUMA AND BILL HUTCHINSON
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Monday, December 1st 2008, 2:31 AM
Marty L. McMillan, 51, was not wearing a life preserver, was tossing the anchor in the water when its line got tangled around his leg and dragged him overboard.

A father-son fishing trip turned deadly Sunday for a Long Island man who was pulled under the water by an anchor rope as his panicked son watched helplessly.

Marty McMillan, 51, of Wantagh, drowned in the choppy waters 12 miles off Montauk Point.

"My dad's in the water!" McMillan's 17-year-old son, Cody, screamed as he raised rescuers with a desperate Mayday radio call.

"My son is completely distraught," Cody's mother and McMillan's ex-wife, Susan McMillan, told the Daily News Sunday night. "They were very, very close. They did everything together. He [Cody] was his pride and joy."

Coast Guard officials said Cody McMillan radioed his desperate Mayday call about 9:30 a.m.

Fishing boat Capt. John DeMaio responded to the call from about 100 yards away and helped pull McMillan from the chilly, 52-degree water.

"His son, Cody, shot a flare gun and then called the Coast Guard," said Roger Brevet, another fisherman. "On my radio, I heard his son in a panic."

DeMaio had already started cardiopulmonary resuscitation by the time a Coast Guard boat reached the scene.

McMillan was taken back to shore, where he died at Southampton Hospital.

Cody McMillan and two of his friends were rescued from his dad's 30-foot fishing vessel, the Xiao Mu Ji, whose engine conked out when the anchor line got snared in the propeller.

Officials said Marty McMillan, who was not wearing a life preserver, was tossing the anchor in the water when its line got tangled around his leg and dragged him overboard.

"I would say these circumstances are unusual," said Darryl Lanki of the U.S. Coast Guard station at Montauk.

Montauk marina owner Ed Miller said McMillan had kept his boat at his dock for eight years.

"He was an adventurous guy who had a passion for running offshore for yellowfin tuna," Miller said. "Marty always wanted to go farther offshore. He loved to go where other boats didn't go."

McMillan was president of Intelli-Tec Security Services in Westbury, L.I., a firm he founded in 1999 and reportedly built into the 55th-largest security company in the nation.

McMillan, who was raised in Kansas City, Mo., was a kung fu master and an avid outdoorsman. Friends said McMillan and Cody frequently used wooden bows and handmade arrows to go big-game hunting. "They were true fishing buddies," Miller said of McMillan and his son. "We feel terrible. It's a great loss."
IRONWOODTUNA(CODY)

Post by IRONWOODTUNA(CODY) »

i thank you all for your support and i went to the other links and that press release isn't totally correct
this i what really happened . . .

We went out fishing Sunday 11/30/08 we left the dock at 6:15AM after getting breakfast over at gaviolas with the other two guys that joined us on our trip.
We ran 17miles to Apple tree a wreck to try and find some bigger black fish and maybe some codfish. We pulled anchor3-4 times and never found the wreck or rough bottom.
we then moved 5 miles back to where we limited out on black fish the day before(Saturday) at South Western Ledge a big rock pile.We anchored up but fishing wasn't great, mostly begauls and only 1 black fish. so my dad wanted to pull the anchor and move up a little more because we were off the ledge. We started pulling the anchor but the anchor ball never popped up and this has happened before when we snagged something. We pulled rope in for about 15-20 min and finally got to the chain. My dad put the boat in neutral and came to the back of the boat to help us. We puled the anchor up and saw the lobster pot line, but he didn't want to cut it because it's the lobster guys lively hood and how he makes a living . then the anchor got pulled out of my dad hands because the boat was drifting so my dad let some rope out and told me to go to the helm.
he said "okay Cody put in reverse"i put in in reverse than he said "okay good, now neutral" so i did then he said"forward quick" and i put it in gear and added some throttle. . . and as i did he was standing on top of all the rope we had already brought in and the rope started going out as i started to circle around for another try.
My dad's leg got wrapped wth the rope and he went over i heard him yell and i put it in neutral. the other guy yelled man overboard as i watched my dad hold onto the gunnel trying to get it off his leg and got pulled over. I put the boat in neutral and went and got a throw ring and had the guys throw it to my dad as i went on the radio to call in a man overboard on channel 16.
i saw my dad floating with his head above the water next to the orange anchor ball and i started to head towards hima nd tiold the guys to get ready to grab him. . . they missed
i circl around this time my dad on my side
he was already under water but i pulled his head up and had both my arms under his arms trying to keep his head above the water
he was unconcious the boat was drifting and he got pulled out of my arms and was under again.
i circled around real quick and this time one of the guys got out a galf. they got his jacket and as they pulled to bring him in his jacket came off.
then i started backing down and got halfway to where i assumed my dad was and wrapped the prop with our anchor rope because the guys onboard didnt know to tell me where the line was so that didnt happen.
throughtout this i was on the radio with the coast guard and the other two gys onboard with us were shooting flares at the closest boat which we found out later was the viienne.
we finally got them to come over and by then he was already under a good ten minutes and unconcious. myself and the two otherguys on our boat were just yelling some many different things that i dont think the Vivienne new what we wanted them to do.
we finnaly got across to them that we were disabled and that my dad was still underwater straight out the back of our boat.
they grabbed the lin with a galf and followed it until they got to the bouy with my dad next to it .
they cut the anchor and brought my dad aboard and i am unsure of what they did after that.
I was now adrift and i pulled in all the anchor line and got two wraps off the prop but i couldnt get anymore off.
the reason for this was because the vivienne is a downeastern and cant go as fast as i could so i knew my dad would have a better chance if i coudl get hiom onto our boat and i didnt care how rough i wa sgoing to get him back.
the vivienne couldnt transfer my dad to a coast guard boat because it was to rough

i love my dad and i hope he lived happily and i know that he will still look out for me.
and all i wish is that the cold got to him before the more painful suffereing underwater

Cody A. McMillan
Seefood Man
Sponsor

Post by Seefood Man »

From across the nation, prayers to you Cody and your family. May God Bless you during your time of loss.
Sincerely

Pete & Nancy Grace
Woodland, Washington
Dr. Hand

Post by Dr. Hand »

Cody, Our hearts go out to you and your family. I can tell from your words how close you were. life is full of risks but your dad died doing what he loved, fishing and being with you.
MONGO

Post by MONGO »

Very Sad! My heart goes out to his Family.

Matt
farmerjane

Post by farmerjane »

Cody ~ My heart is filled with compassion and ache for you and your family right now. May you rest in God's arms knowing that your Dad loved you so very much and went doing what he loved doing most - fishing with you. One can't ask for much more than that in this life. Always remember - God has a plan. We don't always get to know what it is right off the bat - but it will come around full circle for you one day and then things will make much more sense.

We lift you and your family up with our thoughts and prayers. May you find peace and comfort in God's arms.

Take care and know that the fishing community is here for you.
Dee
I'm both lucky AND good!
Desert Dog

Post by Desert Dog »

Cody,
I'm so sorry to hear of your family's loss. You're in our thoughts and prayers. Hang in there.
Dan
capeannfisherman

Post by capeannfisherman »

Cody, please accept my sincere condolences for your tragic loss.

Adrian
Adrian
Night Runner
16/65
Capt. G

Post by Capt. G »

Cody

I never met your Dad but after reading his posts on numerous forums I felt like I knew him.

I also lost someone very dear to me not too long ago so I know how difficult this is for you.

Please accept my condolences to both you and your family.

Regards,

Capt. George Lemieux
Capt. G
feeling07

Post by feeling07 »

I feel very sorry to heard about this news. My heart goes out to his family. Its really a painful tragedy. My condolences for his family and may he rest in peace.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic