Post by welder »

Bill , thanks for adding the pictures.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
welder
Site Admin

Re: RIP Marty. You WILL be missed...

Post by welder »

Those wishing to send flowers can have them sent to ............

O'shea Funeral Home
East Meadow, NY

O'shea's [ Funeral Home ] number is 516-826-1010

I have already sent a easel of flowers today from , The Members of Aluminumalloyboats .com

The funeral will be 12-3-2008 Wednesday afternoon I was told by O'shea .
Lester,
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Found this on another site , thought it could help .

The Cody McMillan College Scholarship Fund, c/o Intelli-tec Security Services, 2000 Shames Dr., Westbury, NY 11590.
Lester,
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Obituary

Post by IN2DEEP »

Copy and pasted from: http://www.newsday.com/news/local/ny-li ... 5460.story

Marty L. McMillan loved to fish.

"It was his interest from childhood, from when he could pick up a rod and reel, and it grew to an obsession," recalled his brother, Matt, of Mastic Beach.

McMillan conveyed that passion - surfcasting from shore or chasing blackfish from his custom-built 30-foot aluminum sportfishing boat - to his son, Cody, 16.

They were sharing a fishing trip Sunday off Montauk when McMillan's leg became tangled in an anchor line. He was pulled overboard and drowned.

McMillan, 51, was a longtime Wantagh resident who moved to Manhattan several years ago. When he wasn't fishing or running Intelli-tec Security Services, the Westbury security firm he co-founded, he was often bowhunting. "He was an expert marksman in archery," winning numerous awards and filling his office with animal trophies, his brother said.

McMillan was also an expert instructor in a martial art called wing chun.

"He was full throttle all the time," Matt McMillan said. "Everything he did, he did to the max."

McMillan was born in Kansas City, Mo., and his family moved to Long Island in the late 1960s. He graduated from Great Neck South High School in 1975 and moved to Kansas, where he entered the security field as an apprentice locksmith.

He then went to work for, and eventually became service manager of, Security Link in Plainview, and served as general manager of Alarmguard in Plainview before striking out with two partners to form Intelli-tec in 1999.

He was a member of the Nassau and Suffolk Police Reserves, nonprofit organizations in each county that support the police, and was active in the Long Island Chapter of ASIS International, an organization for security professionals.

In addition to his son and brother, McMillan is survived by his wife of two years, Nancy; a stepdaughter, Sylvia Zhao of Manhattan, and ex-wife, Susan McMillan, of Wantagh.

A wake will be held from 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday at Charles J. O'Shea Funeral Home, 2515 N. Jerusalem Rd., East Meadow, with private cremation to follow.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to The Cody McMillan College Scholarship Fund, c/o Intelli-tec Security Services, 2000 Shames Dr., Westbury, NY 11590.

Marty,
You will be missed
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

It's been 2 years since Marty passed and I am still affected by it. Though I never met Marty, I wish I had. His legacy lives strong through his Son and Boat.

Our children, we must teach them well, for they outlive us and continue life's journey. Our beloved Aluminum Alloy boats when properly cared for should go well beyond our years and should be enjoyed by our progeny. Marty has accomplished both :thumbsup: That is what we Alloy Boatsmen strive for................ Enduring family. Love for the seas and our remarkable boats that ride them.

Please keep a sharp knife near when anchoring.

Rip Marty still missed.

Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Hey Mojo, that's my knife and bow! I made a commitment to my family, after Marty's accident, to try and make our boat safer. I have several knives attached at strategic points all over the boat. I try to wear my PFD when I pull and deploy my pots. I use a buoy to pull my anchor, so I make sure to remember to wear my PFD while deploying the anchor as well as during the retrieval process. The kids always wear their PFDs if they are outside the cabin and of course we wear them whenever we are in the tender. The next step is getting my wife comfortable with operating the boat. She had some wheel time this summer, but not enough.
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
jrogers
Donator '08

Post by jrogers »

Pete,

You have the same problem I do. Spare motors, spare anchors, but no spare captain!

I have been trying to get the wife into it as well, with limited success. At least my oldest daughter is picking up some things. I went ashore this summer to pick blueberries for a few hours and left her on the boat. When I got back to town I heard from several friends that she had responded to calls to my boat, swiched up to another channel and chatted with them. She just did not mention it to me.

My wife has never docked the boat. That will be a hard one for me to teach if that day ever comes.
Jim

spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

I dream of the day that I can drop the wife off at the fuel dock to grab the truck and trailer while I head to the ramp. She is taking an interesting in running the boat at least. My son, who is in kindergarten, is a natural at the helm. We were running through Culross Passage back in August. He was on my lap steering and watching the plotter. He took us through the narrows and on to Whittier. He knows that the " * " is a rock and bad news. He will be dropping me off to pick up the truck before I know it. That is if he can beat out his older sister.

Cheers! :beer:
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

I think of Marty often. I am going to change my ways with life jackets and high visibility clothing from now on. As I get older I bow to the wisdom of folks that suggest good things to keep us all alive and happy while at sea :joecool:

Thank you everyone for posting on this thread and keeping yourselves and family safe.

Cheers,
John
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic