Good-bye Marty

Dedicated to the spirit of Marty McMillan
Junkyard Dog!
Location: West Burlington Iowa USA! Pool 19 Mississippi River!

Good-bye Marty

Post by Junkyard Dog! »

Good-bye Marty, although we never met I sure enjoyed our conversations about my Wife's boat Izona. Marty Really welcomed me into this group and made me feel right at home. My Father, who we lost a few years back was a fisherman and I'm sure will be waiting for Marty. I pray for you to find calm waters and many fish to catch in your new home.
Ya gotta love a hard-top!
Chris Gatley

Re: Good-bye Marty

Post by Chris Gatley »

First, I send my condolences to his family!

The first time I met Marty - I was working the shimano booth at one of the largest shows here in the northeast. I was one year into my proud purchase of my 23 foot black lab and this guy rolled in with photos of his custom built beast. I was shocked but excited as I knew I had a die hard and passionate guy in front of me. For hours, we went over high end gear to catch tuna etc...at the time, the butterfly jigging and the torsa reel were brand spanking new to the marketplace. I was fortunate enough to have used the gear and work with the butterfly system the season prior and he was there to check it all out. It only took a few sentences to come out of my mouth before he and I were engaged in some hard core talking and fishing stories. I guess we both knew that we were on the same page and that I was able to answer his questions. This past August, He asked me to join him on one of his adventures and I had to decline due to my guiding schedule. But, from that conversation, we both realized that we had mutual friends and I was going to take him up on his offer the following season (2009). This instance now makes me realize that you never know what can happen at any time and that we should make every opportunity to live life to the fullest and jump on opportunities that present themselves. I wish I had that day. I did not Know Marty really at all but I know in talking with him on a few occassions that he was passionate and enthusiastic about fishing, family and life. May Marty watch over us all through the upcoming years and keep all of us out of harms way - on the water and off.

Rest In Peace Marty!

Capt. Chris Gatley
Capt. Chris Gatley
ArdentAngler.org
IRONWOODTUNA(CODY)

Post by IRONWOODTUNA(CODY) »

i thank you all for your support and i went to the other links and that press release isn't totally correct
this i what really happened . . .

We went out fishing Sunday 11/30/08 we left the dock at 6:15AM after getting breakfast over at gaviolas with the other two guys that joined us on our trip.
We ran 17miles to Apple tree a wreck to try and find some bigger black fish and maybe some codfish. We pulled anchor3-4 times and never found the wreck or rough bottom.
we then moved 5 miles back to where we limited out on black fish the day before(Saturday) at South Western Ledge a big rock pile.We anchored up but fishing wasn't great, mostly begauls and only 1 black fish. so my dad wanted to pull the anchor and move up a little more because we were off the ledge. We started pulling the anchor but the anchor ball never popped up and this has happened before when we snagged something. We pulled rope in for about 15-20 min and finally got to the chain. My dad put the boat in neutral and came to the back of the boat to help us. We puled the anchor up and saw the lobster pot line, but he didn't want to cut it because it's the lobster guys lively hood and how he makes a living . then the anchor got pulled out of my dad hands because the boat was drifting so my dad let some rope out and told me to go to the helm.
he said "okay Cody put in reverse"i put in in reverse than he said "okay good, now neutral" so i did then he said"forward quick" and i put it in gear and added some throttle. . . and as i did he was standing on top of all the rope we had already brought in and the rope started going out as i started to circle around for another try.
My dad's leg got wrapped wth the rope and he went over i heard him yell and i put it in neutral. the other guy yelled man overboard as i watched my dad hold onto the gunnel trying to get it off his leg and got pulled over. I put the boat in neutral and went and got a throw ring and had the guys throw it to my dad as i went on the radio to call in a man overboard on channel 16.
i saw my dad floating with his head above the water next to the orange anchor ball and i started to head towards hima nd tiold the guys to get ready to grab him. . . they missed
i circl around this time my dad on my side
he was already under water but i pulled his head up and had both my arms under his arms trying to keep his head above the water
he was unconcious the boat was drifting and he got pulled out of my arms and was under again.
i circled around real quick and this time one of the guys got out a galf. they got his jacket and as they pulled to bring him in his jacket came off.
then i started backing down and got halfway to where i assumed my dad was and wrapped the prop with our anchor rope because the guys onboard didnt know to tell me where the line was so that didnt happen.
throughtout this i was on the radio with the coast guard and the other two gys onboard with us were shooting flares at the closest boat which we found out later was the viienne.
we finally got them to come over and by then he was already under a good ten minutes and unconcious. myself and the two otherguys on our boat were just yelling some many different things that i dont think the Vivienne new what we wanted them to do.
we finnaly got across to them that we were disabled and that my dad was still underwater straight out the back of our boat.
they grabbed the lin with a galf and followed it until they got to the bouy with my dad next to it .
they cut the anchor and brought my dad aboard and i am unsure of what they did after that.
I was now adrift and i pulled in all the anchor line and got two wraps off the prop but i couldnt get anymore off.
the reason for this was because the vivienne is a downeastern and cant go as fast as i could so i knew my dad would have a better chance if i coudl get hiom onto our boat and i didnt care how rough i wa sgoing to get him back.
the vivienne couldnt transfer my dad to a coast guard boat because it was to rough

i love my dad and i hope he lived happily and i know that he will still look out for me.
and all i wish is that the cold got to him before the more painful suffereing underwater

Cody A. McMillan
NUKE

Post by NUKE »

God Bless you Cody . You are a Brave young man . I know your Father is very proud of you . He was a Great Captain that took the time to share his Knowledge with us all . I'm very sorry for your loss .
NUKE
pelican

Post by pelican »

Cody,

My heart goes out to you in this time of sorrow, Your dad was a gentleman who I enjoyed speaking with whenever we met up through work. He spoke very highly of you and was very proud od his "boy" Cody. I live in montauk and he was well known for his fishing abilities. He was always inviting me to go fishing and it seems i was always busy with one thing or another. The folks from the Nassau County police Dept. extend their condolences as we worked very closely with him. God bless him, you and your family.

Rich McGuire
clambo
Donator '22

Post by clambo »

Cody,
My name is Mike/clambo.In the course of my life I have saved two people from drowning. After they came to I asked them what was it like and they both told me the same thing. They said they were really surprised at how peaceful they felt. They said it was very tranquil, I also asked if they would go near the water again and they both said yes as they did not fear it. These may seem like odd questions to ask of a person who came as close as dying as these two but I had to ask.
I've been married to an ER nurse for 28 yrs. and in that time I have watched her and the staff fight continually against death and disease. I believe this is where my curiosity comes from. I hope this information can in some small way give you some peace. I am a dad and I know in my heart that your dad's last thoughts would have been for his family. We will all meet again on the other side, so know that when you next get a line tight, dad will be smiling and telling anyone who'll listen THAT'S MY BOY!
feeling07

Post by feeling07 »

Really, you are a brave man and your father proud of you. I know you feel lonely without your father. Your father was a good fisherman and I also proud to him. My condolences for you and I pray to God for you and your family.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic