Transducer inside hull

General boating discussion
OceanTrvlr

Transducer inside hull

Post by OceanTrvlr »

The transom-mount transducer on my 2018 North River RAIV loses bottom at any speed except slow ahead. I've lowered the transducer as far as it will go to try to reach clean water flow, without success.

I've had a cheap transom-mount depth transducer siliconed INSIDE the hull of one of my fiber glass boats for 15+ years. It's used only for depth, not fishfinding, and works well at all depths and all speeds.

I'm thinking of copying what I did on the old fiber glass boat by just gluing a transducer inside the hull. I'm wondering if plate aluminum hull bottom will have significantly different acoustical characteristics than on the fiber glass boat.

Ethan

MacCTD

Re: Transducer inside hull

Post by MacCTD »

I think I have read it will work with thin aluminum boats, like Lunds but not on thicker hulls like your boat or similar.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150

kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 16 17, 18, 19, 20

Post by kmorin »

I've seen a couple of transducers mounted inside 1/4" 5086 H-32 hull plate. There was a compensation block or tapered plate welded to to the hull, to allow the transducer to be mounted at Vertical/Horizontal as the hull was at rest. Final thickness this transducer was working through was more than 3/8" of solid aluminum.... and the readings were 'bottom' only- not fish finder. But the unit was reliable (don't know brand or model) and was tested with several other boats' external systems and showed repeated accurate readings within the limits of the sounder. ( I think it was a fathom [or two?] plus or minus?)

The transducers were mounted with a very thin film of silicone adhesive, inside the hull on the welded Deadrise & Waterline compensation plate.

I'd ask the sounder's mfg Tech support for some guidance? Some may work this way and others may not?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin

OceanTrvlr

Post by OceanTrvlr »

Thanks for the info.

I don't plan on worrying about the angle of the hull as I understand most transducers transmit a fairly wide beam. I guess that would effect the side-scanning features though, making the image lopsided. But, I don't really care. As you said, this is "bottom-only" usage.

I can easily reach the hull plating directly below the helm area inside the cabin so, I'm thinking I may borrow a transducer, stick it down there, and see what it reads.

Ethan

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic