19' BLM/Pacific question for Mr. Perotta

General boating discussion
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

19' BLM/Pacific question for Mr. Perotta

Post by JETTYWOLF »

As ya know, I'm always thinking about my "fleet" and this web site ain't doing my obsession any good.

And of course I'm always thinking about the ultimate bay boat...a real bay boat.

That 19 footer. And ya know I'm thinking tiller model.

But my question is:

Do the boxed "gunnels" have to be filled with foam on the 19' boat?

Because I want those open like on my boat now. Perfect place for all the clothing that accumulates on the boat in the cooler months.

"Crunch-Cram-Crumple.....but get that GD - Moose looking coat the hell outa the way!"

And then I'd need shelves under too.
Jay Perrotta
Sponsor/Donator

Post by Jay Perrotta »

Hi dave,

Yup.

Per USCG all boats under 20' must have positive and level flotation. The foam in those boxes provide the "level" portion. Unavoidable.

Now if you make the boat 20'1".......
Jay Perrotta
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

As in the 2025 [ 20'3" ] binggo :D
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Okay, but that boat doesn't lend it self to as easily designed into a "tiller model"

Hmmm, now that throws my whole get as much out of the smallest boat design into the recycle bin. Have to obtain maximum storage with customers on board.....always.

Okay, time to pull the plug abd re-tool the design of my next boat in the fleet...Wonder if a 20 could be made into a tiller model?

I'm hung on the tiller idea because of simplicity and cost factors.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

To run a tiller modle , can you see over the bow ?

If I did a 20 for going skinny , I would put a 90 HP on it and cable steering to keep cost down.

Ask Jay if he can still get a Flat Bottom boat built .
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
JETTYWOLF

My 2nd in the fleet......

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I had it all figured out.....

a 19', with a tiller (power tiller steering), a cut down bulkhead in the stern. A box that I'd sit on, on one side that would house a livewell for my shrimps. A small storage box on the opposite side for the engine battery and a depth finder. Open gunnels for storage, and shelves for more stuff.

A 90 Honda, maybe with a Jack plate.....with the "least set" back there is, if it would work.

Two nice swivel seats on boxes, for more storage inside. That have an attachment that hook to the shelf, so they don't move, but would be adjustable, back and forth.

The center line of the boat wide open. A short front bow deck with a seat on a pole pedestal (option) and a Trolling motor with a "Pro-Con-Troll" handle all mounted on a HD plate. A bulkhead up front in the bow deck to hold my PFD's like I have now, and behind that anchor and storage for a 24V system. And no door on the opening to the bow deck.

with 4 pole holders in front of the seats in the gunnels. And a Capt. Macks River runner, skeg guard. A tandem axle aluminum Rolls Axle trailer.

Nav. Lights I leave to Jay, and any other "in the know" items.

Sort of like this configeration but only with two seats:
Notice the way the seats are held in position, are on storage boxes and even this one has lil trays too....

Now that's a N.E. Florida Bay boat! Or my mini BLM inshore Float-rig fishing for Speckledc trout & Redfish boat. Max 2 passengers.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Dave, and Jay,

Why cant the flotation be on the outside of the hull like the USCG boats? They have that orange wrap around bumper/float. Do it in black and Bam!!! you've got the 19 you want.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

ALLOY.......ALLOY.......ALLOY........

-that has to be the worst idea I've heard since the "Bobber with a brain" gimmic. :? :? :? :?

I'm already proposing a boat I cannot afford, (yet) let alone I'm not making the most expensive 19' creek fishing boat in all the world.

C'C'Cmon brotha..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

How much would it ad $$$$$$????

Now what about the 16' that was for sale on THT. What did it have for floatation?
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

This one.......

Put a anchor pulpit on the bow to get to 20'-1", what do all the rolled edge skiff guys fall under for flotation standards? Carolina Skiff, Maritime Skiff, etc.....How do they get around it?

Just like the black rub rail they pu on some of the boat, I still like my idea. It wouldn't have to be that big on a 19' I would assume........

Jay who makes that rub rail? How is it attached?
NUKE

the floatation in boats under 20'

Post by NUKE »

I had the oportunity to speak with Jay at great length about the the reqirements for coast guard certification on hulls under 20'.his boats conform to the standards required by the Government to recieve certification.But its posible that 16' boat in the picture does not have the upright floatation . You and I or any one else for that matter can build a boat that is non conforming to industry standards and thus not able to display Coast Guard certification .BlackLab/Pacific however only produce models that meet or exceed the standards required to recieve Coast Guard Certification . From the 19 on up, I belive but correct me if I'm wrong ,The 23 and 26 models also meet the same upright floatation standards required on craft 20' and under ! all alloy boats are definitely not the same :!:
NUKE
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

But that TUFF Boat isn't nearly a BLM/Pacific! It's okay....but you know.

Here's what goes into one of those fugly things on a Safeboat...for military use.

I think a boat has to be designed around the fugly thang....

It's okay fellas, I'd just have a 19 footer with less storage, and in all reality I don't care about USCG certification, I need places for people to stuff thier crap...This would be a working boat, commercially registered not some fluffer weekend water ski'er. (Maybe Jay could make a consideration, for that?)

They always show up with so crap. The open gunnels make a great hide away for rods too. I'd need that! And on a small boat, ya never have enough places to stuff. So why should a 19 footer be any different.

I'd just have to look around and maybe jump the fence and check out the "other brands" of tiller NW guide boats. Not that I'd be a happy Cappy. And my 26 footer wouldn't get a lil' sister, then. Just an adopted sister for another mommy.
peterbo3
Contributor

Post by peterbo3 »

http://www.fisherboats.com.au/data/520DS.html
Dave
Have a look at the link. Col will make one of these or bigger for you with tiller steer. No engine or trailer (cheaper in the US). It will fit into a container. No import duty due to US/Australia Free Trade Agreement or tax in Australia on export boats. Might be worth investigating or I could have a word to Col for you. Tell me your exact needs. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: Plus the US$ is worth about A$1.12 so you are further in front.
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I'm just throwing day dreams around, really....

I like that "Col Svensson", sounds like a Viking!

Just thinking out load. Don't we always day dream about the next boat?
But when it comes cashola in hand, is when I could get real answers, from any manufacture I wanted I'm sure.

Right now the U.S. dollar needs to do something extra ordinary........
Like make it to my pocket, in a big way before I'm actually looking for a new 2nd boat.

Been thinking about applying for a bunch of TV game shows. Cause I need a win-fall.
NUKE

gunwales

Post by NUKE »

jetty,you could remove the floatation in the gunwales and use for storage. cut in doors . but you dont sound like the kinda guy that's interested in working on the boat ,adding and deleteing things over time. maybe its me but that sort of thing is what intreages me about this kind of boat . always something new to add or replace with time...weld grind weld grind and so on. after all it is a boat built for a lifetime...of Fishing in your case .:lol:
NUKE
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Now that's a smart idea Nuke!

I'm mechanical, and with some thought I could do that.
Desert Dog

Post by Desert Dog »

Jettywolf,
There's lots of aluminum river boats made on the west coast that run a tiller in lenghts from 16'-25'. Alumaweld, Willie Boats, Koffler, North River, Wooldrich, Bentz, Idaho Boats, and a bunch of others make boats that would be right up your alley. Most of the salmon/steelhead guides run big (24') open boats with a big tiller (250 hp). They'll have a prop with a bay kit and a jet pump lower unit for the motor. When it comes time to hit the river they'll throw the pump on and run with their hair on fire in 5" of water. When the fish are out in the salt they put the prop back on for better mileage, low speed handling and to avoid sucking kelp/seaweed into the pump shoe. It's the best of both worlds. Many of them build boats with really sweet rod lockers built into the gunnels.
Desert Dog
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic