Barnacles growing with bottom paint ?

General boating discussion
v26wa

Barnacles growing with bottom paint ?

Post by v26wa »

There seems to be tiny white dots growing on my newly painted (with Trilux 33) hull. More on one side that the other ? I'm not sure they are barnacles, they brush right off the side. I'm concerned about the bottom ? Could these be barnacles ? Something else ? Normal ? The boat has only been in about 6 weeks. The boat was painted last fall but Trilux says it can be rack stored & trailered so I don't think the time out of the water was a factor ? Any ideas ?
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: Barnacles growing with bottom paint ?

Post by Chaps »

My experience with T33 is that barnacles are not intimidated by it. Sunny side worse than shaded side. I won't use the stuff.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
v26wa

Post by v26wa »

What do you use ?
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

I finally used up all my stores of Pettit Alumacoat and Micron 33, both of which are tin formulations that are no longer available to small boat owners. Now if you happen to need a thousand gallons of either of those to repaint your container ship it can still be purchased and applied . . . :evil:

Anyway, last couple of years I've been applying E-Paint with pretty decent results, not as good as tin but OK and it is way more environmentally friendly. I've put T33 on clients boats and its OK in some circumstances but barnacles will be a factor earlier in the life of the paint job than one would expect IMO.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic