boat search plastic to alloy

General boating discussion
BeachDweller
Donator '12

boat search plastic to alloy

Post by BeachDweller »

I have recently joined the site and am in the process of researching a new boat. We recently sold our grady white 330 express and are seriously considering alloy after alot of indepth research. Our needs are as follows:

1. boat must be outboard due to boat being moored in Ussless bay part time and docked at Lagoon Point the rest of the time.

2.I'm looking in the 24 26ft range and use will be saltwater fishing, both puget sound and north to islands and along the southern coast for fall tuna eventually. Also crabbing, shripping, and halibut.

3. Am looking at cats (armstrong and NDI which is just a couple of blocks from me on Whidbey island. i am also interested in seawolf, silverstreak, ACB, Northriver (allthough i've heard some disparaging remarks about northriver. Looks like a gook hull to me. Alittle deep in deadrise aft but a very good chine for lift. Any comments on any or all i've posted will be greatly appreciated. All boats preferred to be self bailing decks and am really finding the walkaround armstrong does to be really inventive. Looking forward to responses.

BeachDweller
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Re: boat search plastic to alloy

Post by S L Dave »

Here is a good place to start some web surfing

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=169

Also there are some detailed pics of builds from various mfrs that are on our site here. NDI and Armstrong are a good place to start looking if they are local...you will never hear a disparaging remark about either of those mfrs. There was a recent build of an Armstrong cat posted on here. Awesome. Check this out!!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1598

next...

viewtopic.php?t=1650
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
BeachDweller
Donator '12

Post by BeachDweller »

Thank you for the info. I did see the pics of the Armstrong cat and agree, it is a very creative and functional design. I saw them at the Seattle boat show was very impressed. I've looked through the archived material looking for discussions on the differences in cat vs mono, read a lot but am wondering how the aluminum planning hull fits into the discussion. Seems like a slightly different beast.

Also noticed that pacific boats are very popular here as well. I'm assuming that has alot to do with build quality and design?

One of the things I am very interested in learning is what makes for a good build in aluminum. With all the production boats like Habercraft, northriver, Weldcraft and others i can see that there is some important detail to be aware of. I'm reading "Boat Building in Aluminum" by Stephen Pollard (second edition), not to build but try to understand what seperates a quality build from mediocore. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks again.
IronwoodIsland

Post by IronwoodIsland »

The Ironwood boats website has a good section on quality issues in aluminum boat design and construction

http://www.ironwoodboats.com/

worth reading if you are shopping

Cheers
19' Ironwood extended with platform to 21'
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

I visited the Wooldridge factory in Tukwila area...very impressive build and they are proud of it as well, plus the price reflects it...I could not afford to go that way. I am happy with my Raider 185 with bracket. As most of us have done we all make additions and corrections and improvements. Additionally, I have had a very good working relationship with Raider on resolving some minor issues, like hole in the bilge hose and leaking window seal. That is worth something as well.

BTW, I think North RIver is out of business.

Only you can decide and I think your whole approach will get you to a satisfactory end. Capt PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Pacific Boats, build quality ? That's easy, their boats are guaranteed for life.

What to look for in a Alloy boat.
Type of alloy used
Weld quality and proper type of filler material
Type of construction

And more , I'm sure others will jump in here soon.

As far as pacific boats go ..........Call Julie and ask for a plant tour and a check ride with one of their customers/owners Julie will also recommend other Mfg'ers that build other type/sizes of boats.

Julie @ pacific, 888-658-7111
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

Just got my issue of Boats and Harbors...there are some used Alloy boats in your size listed. Capt PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
ruggit

Post by ruggit »

Of the boats you mentioned, I think Northriver is TU. I am an Armstrong fan, so they would be on the top of my list. Although I am not a cat owner, I think the Armstrong folks have built enough of them to have the hull design figured out. Along with the recreational and charter boats, they have built a number of boats for various govt agencies that needed to be inspected and approved by the agencies during the build process. Dont be afraid to call them and see what they have to say. They are a pretty good bunch of people, and may be able to get you pointed in the right direction as you design your boat in your mind. They also build mono hulls for hard headed people who want them.

If you have a custom boat built, you are going to want to be able to be comfortable with your builder, as issues may come up that you want handled easily.

Havent looked at the Canadian dollar lately, and that factors into costs of boats from Canada. They all have a way to handle the delivery, so not an issue.

Again, dont be afraid to make some calls, and visit the company's facilities.
Armstrong 29 with Yamaha F350
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Your in Washington and the Alloy Mecca, brother!

Here would be my choice:

But I'm a bit biased, too.

or maybe have a 28 Rocksalt built with a cabin. Since they are a sponsor, here.

C'C'mon.....
S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

I wonder what the Armstrong 25 cost? Anyone have a rough idea?

They have a fishermen model and a weekender model that look identical from the outside. There are no pictures of the interior of the weekender on their site. Man...I love that boat.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

Have you seen this: http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/1257651736.html Don't know the boat, it is in my area. Capt PJ
BeachDweller
Donator '12

Post by BeachDweller »

Lots of great info. Thank you all. I'm going to take my time and work through all the options, both production and custom. I really do like the Armstrong walkaround and the Pacific boats. The idea of not having to wax and buff sounds really good at this point in my life.
I really appreciate your willingness to share your experience and time and am looking forward to learning more.
S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

I had a nice phone conversation with Joe at Armstrong Marine today. The 25'er is 25' at the waterline, but 28 feet from bow to stern.

The difference between the fishermen model and the weekender model is the interior...nothing related to the hull or cabin size. The weekender has an enclosed head, galley, and some other minor differences in the interior layout. The recommended power ranges from twin 150's to twin 250's.

The price is less than I feared it would be and about what I thought was a very fair price. I am now obsessing about that boat.

I don't know what alloy boat builders are drinking up in the NW...they are all so nice!!!! Jay too!!! Don't forget to call him and talk Rocksalt or the BLM 26SCS.
ruggit

Post by ruggit »

Sometimes it's good to get off the internet and actually talk to a real live person....
Armstrong 29 with Yamaha F350
akcat

Post by akcat »

S L Dave wrote:I wonder what the Armstrong 25 cost? Anyone have a rough idea?

They have a fishermen model and a weekender model that look identical from the outside. There are no pictures of the interior of the weekender on their site. Man...I love that boat.

I'll be happy to answer any of the questions you have about Armstrong or cats. I too had a glass boat ( 2006 SeaSport Offshore with twin D-4's and chose to go alloy and outboard for many reasons). There are a few things I would have changed, but no too many. The customer service is good, and are making good on somethings I didn't like, even though I'm Alaska they still come up to fix stuff. Call Joe Beck or go see him and he'll sit down with you on the computer and draw up whatever you can imagine ( it's a lot of fun building the thing). good luck. I really do love my Cat!
S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

Thanks AK,
I spoke with Joe on the phone. Great guy!! I love the looks of the Weekender 25!

Maybe you already answered this, but how long from deposit to delivery? What did you not like that needed fixing or alteration?

Thanks again,
Dave
akcat

Post by akcat »

I'm sure you can get that boat done quickly because I don't think they are that busy right now. You pay them weekly, and on your last payment the boat is done. My boat took 8-10 weeks, and was only 10 days behind schedule.Also get the T- transom if you're getting outboards, it gives you o much more room.

I had a bunch of customer stuff on my boat and we had different ideas about the way they should have been done ( like my cleaning tables, or my rails around my cleaning tables for my circle hooks and jigs, where a couple things went, things like that). I also had them fix some things that I didn't think were up to par.

Customer service is good and make a nice boat. make sure when you sign your contract you have everything you can think of in it, because change orders can get expensive ( I knew the cost of the change orders though, just wanted some other stuff I forgot).

good luck any more questions let me know.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic