alloy vs grp/composite

General boating discussion
nabeelah

alloy vs grp/composite

Post by nabeelah »

What are the real main advantages of Alloy over all forms of composite boat building materials? Are there any disadvantages and if any,how to tackle them?
gandrfab

Re: alloy vs grp/composite

Post by gandrfab »

Glass-reinforced plastic (GRP) is a composite material or fiber-reinforced plastic made of a plastic reinforced by fine fibers made of glass

index.php

:mrgreen:
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

YOU want resale value?

Then ya better keep that plastic reinforced boat shiney and perfect, (been there done that as much I humanly could)

An alloy boat....hit it with the hose, or don't. Thats all. Low maintenance.

Durabilility, I see the dudes with the seafoam green gelcoated 27' super fancy "Scout boat" hulls around here trying to pull up to the dock in a gale force wind, and if they had their way they'd airlift someone to the dock versus trying to drop someone off at the dock in fear that they may make a $500 mistake!

I'm not picking on that particular boat, but it's the only "look at me" boat I know of with fake Teak wood on the stern.
Good gawd!! And then I look at my boat........comparing just apples to apples, there's NO room in that Scout, and so much wasted space in that hull, and my boats the same damn size!!

I think you need to hit the road and go to some boat shows this winter and see for yourself. One look at a lets say a AMF, like the ones Bevan in NZ posts here, (knowing that you have to know what your looking for and at in the first place) or lets say a Seawolf, or Spoiled Ones, Glacier Craft, or a Rocksalt 34. To me the wasted space issue and getting MORE for your dollar is a smack in the face of real proof.

But then again, I'm a bit biased, too.

Upsides:

Durablility
resale value
EZ customization for the owners needs
Trailering ability easier
Lower Maintenace
good or even way better Fuel economy

Down sides:

You have to replace a zinc every once in awhile
Make sure your seastar hydaulic steering on an out board motor is grounded properly
You'll have to have it painted if you want a "look at me" color combo
decide what builder you want to literally build you last boat ever.

I'm a bit different, I bought my boat as a tool like fishing tackle. To be used hard and put up wet for the next day.
I tell people I bought mine, because it can really stand up to charter fishing abuse. Taking people who don't know boats and don't usually care about yours....just like my tackle. I've gone to all Shakespeare Ugly Stik rods for customers, so they can abuse them, they're durable, and the warrenty is great. Say versus all the my G. Loomis and custom built rods my customers have snapped in half over the years. ( I'm talking....at least 40??) They are charter tuff. Just like my boat.

Plus, I tie off to concrete pilings and fish and commonly bang into them, drive the bow on top of an oysterbed and throw my cast net on bait, fish two feet away from 10 granite boulders (Alloy is nice insurance if I hit one), pull up on sand bars, and fish in really shallow water where no 26' glass boat will, because my draft is shallower. Because I'm lighter and I float higher.

Ya'll have great boat shows up there and plenty of builders who graciously will take you on a tour of the facility, I'm sure.
Get on the phone, then into the truck, and check them out. And another thing I can't believe is that your in the HOT BED of Alloy boats in Washington and you still have to ask?

I thought in Washington, there wasn't much doubt at all what's more popular for durability.

What do I know, I'm in Florida. :roll:
Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor »

Hi All:

Just towed Occams Razor to a sportsmans club tonight after being asked by an older gent if I could show it for him. Well
I towed her there with my C1500 Chevy a 4.3L and eyes poped ! Is that a S 10 pickup towing that ? No its a full size pickup , its just the hull is 26' that makes it look small. You must have just bought that boat rite ? No it 3 years old and fished nearly every weekend... No way ! its too clean ! Yes it is you noticed ! Ahhhh the beauty of plate alloy ! Tow it with a normal vehicle (slightly modified ) and rinse it off and you get to enjoy boating not high bills. "How does it ride ? Does it ride as nice as a Contender or Regulator ? Be serious my friend...those have a 20 plus degree deadrise. Off course they ride slightly better and cost twice as much and burn twice the fuel ! If you want Caddillac ride may I interest you in a Rocksalt 34 ! Because nothing short of a destroyer rides like that hull ! So after all the questions I pulled her home after being asked why Alloy all night.......I just look at my title to the boat, my modest truck pulling her and my low fuel bill and I know exactly why Alloy is my ride.......I'll never go back to glass......maybe a Sea Wolf some day : )
akcat

Post by akcat »

I choose to sell my glass boat for alloy for many reasons.
- I got nephews and 1-3lbs. halibut weights hitting the gunnel used to piss me off, but you can't scream at a 5 year old :)and make him not want to go out fish.

- Dad is getting older and sitting on the pick in 5' swells didn't do it for him so I bought a CAT. I also made it so there are rails everywhere he grab and walk around with out feeling like he's a burden on the boat.

-I wanted to be able to beach the thing for hunting and taking the kids exploring. I would never beach a glass boat in AK.

-No more waxing or trying to buff out the scratches in the gel coat, just spray some Saltaway on and go, if I get a scratch oh well it's just alloy ( more functional then a looker).

- wanted to design a boat for my specific wants not a "stock" boat. your imagination is basically your limit for what you can do when you build a alloy boat ( with the exception of space and money :)).

good luck I'm very happy with my choice so far
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I think this guy, "nabeelah" (original poster) and "Beachdweller" should get together and go to some boat shows this winter.
nabeelah

Post by nabeelah »

Thanks Jettywolf,
Shall take heed of your advice and start soon!!
Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor »

The absolute main advantage of an Alloy Hull........you can enjoy boating as it was meant to be ! You don't have to worry about the gel coat, dropping and anchor , banging into the dock a little to fast,water in the bildge and so on. You take very little care of them and it will amaze you how many years it will look brand new. Us eit and rinse it off .

Glass boats are a hole nother world........buff , wax, be carefull with this don't do that. Alloy just makes boating so much more enjoyable , you enjoy using your boat instead of working on the damn thing all the time. Just my perspective....
CTMD

Post by CTMD »

IIRC you're looking to build quite a big custom boat and the advantages / disadvantages are quite different to many of the concerns listed here.

If you're happy with the "rugged look" a custom aluminium boat will be much cheaper than the equivalent composite boat.
If you want a glossy boat with lots of curves etc then the composite boat will be cheaper.

If internal space is important to you the composite boat will not require the regular frames and stringers, that eat into your space.

Composite boats don't have as many corrosion issues so you can be more flexible with your choice of fittings etc.

Aluminium boats are definately stronger and in the event of damage easier to fix.

The weight thing is a misnomer. Most of the contributors here are from the States where composite boats are typically built out of solid glass and as a result are heavier than ali equivalents. If your boat was custom built in NZ it would be fully cored and much lighter than an ali boat.

The truth is like so many things in life the choice between ali and composite is much harder than its cracked up to be by people who have made there choice and neither is clearly better.

Right now 70% of our work is ali with the rest being split equally between steel and composite. This is not due to any conscious decision on my part to focus on ali boats but because people have seen what we do in ali and come to us for their own designs.
Chris Tucker Marine Design
Your Boat Your Way.
www.ctmd.com.au
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic