Gas Tank 2004 23ht

General boating discussion
capeannfisherman

Gas Tank 2004 23ht

Post by capeannfisherman »

I have been having a problem filling my gas tank at the gas station. well before the tank is full gas will back up like a gusher through the fill hole and the vent. When I fill at home with 5 gal. gas cans no problem. I suspect a venting problem is the cause and I have noticed on the next year model there are 2 vent lines. Was this the fix? if so was there a recall to fix this dangerous situation? Anyone else having trouble?
Adrian
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Adrian,

How are you?

I think Jay will pipe in on this one soon. That's a good damn question, and yes potentially dangerous..........

I do know that mine fills best with the nozzle handle facing inward towards the boat cockpit
dave
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by dave »

Alloy

Mine comes out the fill hole also. I will try turning the handle around. See if that helps.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

dave 1 or 2 vents?
NUKE

gas fill

Post by NUKE »

The Local gas dock here in Yarmouth Maine solved that problem with a flow shutoff valve at the pump .The problem being that for comercial purposes large boats are filled at 50 gallons a min or more and smaller craft can't handle the high speed fill so .....you turn the shutoff to just open and the flow slows to a rate able to fill without overflow or hicups in vent .
NUKE
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I don't think there's Re-calls on gas tank venting. :lol: :lol:

Just fill it s-l-o-w-er......that's all.

The air needs to come out somewhere!

I have two vents and if the pumps really fast, I'll get fuel coming out a vent, and it eats away all my Nyalac coating, makes a huge mess.

So I just go slower.....end of Problemo.

Usually time passes really quick answering questions about my Stainless Steel boat
Jay Perrotta
Sponsor/Donator

Post by Jay Perrotta »

Two vents are better than one at letting the air out as the fuel goes in.

As Nuke said many fuel fills have quite a fast fill rate you just need to go slower. Also on one vent boats it fills better when the boat is flat. The second vent is in the front/top of the tank. In one vent boats you can end up with a trapped air pocket and not be able to get that last few gallons in.

No recall. Both set-ups are ABYC compliant and inspected by the USCG.

Adrian and any other 1 vent owners - one of these may prove helpful:

http://shop.pearsonowners.com/detail.ht ... &group=766

Happy to reimburse the purchase price and installation is easy.
Jay Perrotta
capeannfisherman

Thanks for the replys but

After this happened At the gas station on a flat surface and pumping as slow as the pump could pump I took it home and added 20 more gallons by 5 gal gas cans and it is still not full to the top. I have learned how to deal with it, but still its a PITA.
Thanks again for all the replies and ideas,
Adrian
NUKE

Post by NUKE »

blacklabmarine wrote:Two vents are better than one at letting the air out as the fuel goes in.

As Nuke said many fuel fills have quite a fast fill rate you just need to go slower. Also on one vent boats it fills better when the boat is flat. The second vent is in the front/top of the tank. In one vent boats you can end up with a trapped air pocket and not be able to get that last few gallons in.

No recall. Both set-ups are ABYC compliant and inspected by the USCG.

Adrian and any other 1 vent owners - one of these may prove helpful:

http://shop.pearsonowners.com/detail.ht ... &group=766

Happy to reimburse the purchase price and installation is easy.
Wow that is a great little add on .Just send me the 29.00 i'll take care of the shipping and handleing :lol:
NUKE
capeannfisherman

thanks Jay

Jay,
I just reread your reply and it's true, you are a good guy.
Adrian
BroadCove

Post by BroadCove »

Like Alloy Toy, I've found that it fills best with the nozzle facing in toward the boat. As Jay and Nuke say - I fill up in Royal River in Yarmouth also - some of these pumps are set to fill commercial vessels and need to be turned down when you fill.

All that said, I have another suggestion. Most marine supply stores sell a contraption with a plastic jar and a foam collar that attaches to your transom with suction cups and cover the vents. Using one makes a huge difference. Without using one, my vent "spit" constantly when filliing the tank at anything other than a snail's pace (I'm impatient). When I first used the contraption (I'm sure it has a name, but I have no idea what it is - the folks at the gas dock had one and suggested I try it), I thought it would fill up with fuel. In reality, a small bit of fuel filled around the neck of the contraption and that was it. I think the thing created just enough back pressure that I could fill the tank at a "reasonable" rate.

Hope this helps.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic