Anyway to insulate aluminum fishbox

General boating discussion
trav13

Anyway to insulate aluminum fishbox

Post by trav13 »

Is this possible? Is there some kind of coating I could put in a aluminum fishbox to help it hold ice? If not any ideas of what I could do
keith

Re: Anyway to insulate aluminum fishbox

Post by keith »

Have an aluminum box built that will slide inside your fish box with enough room under and around it for some 2 inch thick foam. You can buy rigid foam board from any building supply place. I would try to design the insert so that it doesn't touch the hull to prevent heat transfer. You might also be able to include a drain in the insert that would slide into an existing drain in the bottom of the fish box.
alumnut

Post by alumnut »

I had some custom insulated bags made for mine.They have a drain and a lid and they work great.WPS in Klamath falls Oregon made them for me.Rick
CanCanCase

Post by CanCanCase »

alumnut wrote:I had some custom insulated bags made for mine.They have a drain and a lid and they work great.WPS in Klamath falls Oregon made them for me.Rick
Rick-

Do you know if these are the same as the bags Wayne (Gerberman) has for ice on his boat?

-Case
M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Charleston, OR
Boating is not a matter of life and death. It's much more important than that!
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

alumnut wrote:I had some custom insulated bags made for mine.They have a drain and a lid and they work great.WPS in Klamath falls Oregon made them for me.Rick
A SET OF PHOTOS SHOWING THIS WOULD BE MIGHTY NICE.

:idea: :idea:
Gerberman

Post by Gerberman »

Yes, The same person made the bags, Ken Murdock in Klamath Falls You can also use closed cell foam and glue it together with barge cement, (rubber cement) I have used 1/2" thick closed cell foam and it really made the Ice last longer. Gerberman
Oregon,and Alaska, fisherman 34 foot Aluminum boat.
trav13

Post by trav13 »

Has anyone ever tried a ceramic type coating or additive to paint and coat with that?
alex g

Post by alex g »

Trav

The only EFFECTIVE way that we have found to insulate a fishbox is with 2" foam board adhered to substrate then followed by 2 layers of mat with epoxy resin. then just brush gel coat on sand and polish or paint over during topcoat application of your new boat, Nice one by the way !!!! Make sure that the lid is foamed and that it is air tight when closed. It is prefferable to have a flat surface that the underside of the lid marries to " double L door frame" then use soft/med epdm gasket on the underside of door then a dense thin one on frame. The southco sm1-25 compression latches also work great to help seal the lid. HOLDS ICE FOR DAYS GOOD LUCK
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic