What size anchor on a 23 Pacific?

General boating discussion
Nat

What size anchor on a 23 Pacific?

Post by Nat »

I'm gonna get me a new and lighter danforth type anchor and I need some help choosing one.

Mostly anchor on sand or sometimes mud bottom and I have an 13 lb fluke or danforth type now, with 25' of chain. 600' of 3/8 line

Would like to go lighter to maybe a 8 lb fortress or a danforth deepset

curious what other 23 pacfic owners are using? :?:
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Nat, I run a 16 LB bruce with 10' of 5/16" chain.

I'm on my 2nd one as thr TENECO rig has my 1st one :x
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Nat,

From the area of FLA with the highest strongest tides, period. Even though they ain't crap comapred to other places. They can be an anchoring nighmare to say the least.

Especially when I wanna do hardly any scope.

I use on my 26 a 13 pound Fluke style, 8 foot of big chain. How the heck do you man-handle all that chain? You need to put a photo up here of you bicep's my man! That would be a great photo....

I anchor up to 20 times a day sometimes, when the fishing/weather is bad of course, 3 times when it's good. Big difference, and I can feel it at the end of the day, too.

I use no winch or anything, just drag it up. But that's the problem with a Danforth style fluke, because dragging your anchor can easily bend the "stock" if it's between a rock and a hard spot.

I just went to a 13 pound Fluke, and used to use my own home made Jetty Anchors.....giant grapnel hook types I made. They worked better on my smaller MayCraft 23, but not on my 26 BLM.

The first day out, I sat in sand, it was maybe 4-6' swells outside the inlet.
I drug the anchor up, and my new anchor came back in the shape of a horse shoe, it was so deeply dug into the sand out there that it was tapping on a china-man's roof. And bent the stock.

So now, I don't drag them up any more, I come ahead of them and then pull it with a little more tenderness.

Are you saying; 1. it won't hold you, or 2. that it kicks your butt?

I'd stay with the 13# Fluke style, and go with a lot less chain. I bet the current in the St. Johns river here on a full moon October falling tide at 7 foot in 60 foot of water with a 30 knot Noreaster blowin is the only time I may ever even wish to deal with the weight of 25 foot of chain.....HOLY MOLY!

But since that's not all too often, I use 8 foot, and my 13 pounder digs so deep and holds so good the rest of the time, I doubt I'd go with more.

And that means 25 feet of mud covered chain too???? Unless you drag it around a little.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

I must be way overkill. I'm running 20' of chain and a 10 kilo claw anchor. My boat is light but it has a ton of freeboard and lots of windage. I use my boat to surf some out of the way spots and the last thing I want to see is my boat moving when I'm anchored just outside the breakers.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

ain't bad if ya don't have to pull it....I pull mine, or drag it up.
Other wise we need a bicep photo from you too.... :lol: :lol:

Ever take a picture of your boat from the board with a big wave coming by.
That would be really cool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic