removing decals from an alloy boat

General boating discussion
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Re: power washer

Post by JETTYWOLF »

capeannfisherman wrote:I have found that a power washer will remove decals even when you don't want them removed.
Adrian
I've also heard gelcoat can disappear when ya don't want it too when shot with a high power pressure washer up close..... :lol: :lol: :lol: now that's something to be proud of.
v26wa

Post by v26wa »

well i after i removed the reg#'s with a heat gun & a razor, i kept going & took the name off. i had to use 2 cans of goof off to remove the sticky crap. now it is all white & hazy and you can still see the outline. :( what do ya think, try to make it look better ? how to make it look better ? or just go fishing & forget about it :lol: ?
NUKE

Post by NUKE »

just like info on the cleaning hull thread . you have removed the nylac finish with the decals some of the hull is protected and some not . I'll use a a tanker trailer as an example , an Exxon Mobil tank trailer 5 years old hits the used market, the decals are removed ,They call this deidentify the unit . if the process stops there it will still have trace of adheasive and will collect dirt and grime where the letters were, so they give it a bath with an acidic solution may be 2 and soap and water. If this is done properly all traces of decals are gone and metal finish is pristene.
the hull that is sill protected will not tarnish and the area that contained the large letters will .resulting in discolor and the decals return. IMO strip the hull of nylac with a acid solution and reapply nylac . I recomend Alumibright . you can get it at truck supply house or truck stop . you dilute in a 5 gallon pail and apply with a boat brush Soft and wash it off with soap and water . or call Century Trailer in Everett Ma. they do tank trailers good luck 8)
NUKE
v26wa

Post by v26wa »

un "monsterized"..........

JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I think it looks better like that. We know it's a monster, and we know it's metal.....so do, some don't. we won't discuss the "gas station walk-ups".

Maybe a new coat of Nyalic would finish the job off.

I had a name on my boat for a very short time, and when the decal got all banged up I took it off, but have that faint area that I can still see.

Plans are to put a new coat of Nyalic on the sides of the boat this summer, sometime. Also because I have scuffed a nice stripe down the side at the dock too.

Per their web site is says a new coat will blend on in with the original.
www.Nyalic.com
NUKE

Post by NUKE »

She looks great 8) Lets go codding .I m in cohaset for a spell ,let me know if you got some room for an interloper.
NUKE
v26wa

Post by v26wa »

Nuke, i hope to splash her on Mon. if not, it wont be till next weekend. I have to install the washdown pump & plumbing along with numerous other small things. If your around your more than welcome (as always) to come out on my boat. Keep in touch..
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

Look at this 26WA after a day like today........UH!!!

MON
N WINDS 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 KT. SEAS 4 TO
6 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS THROUGH EARLY EVENING... THEN A CHANCE
OF RAIN AND SNOW SHOWERS. VSBY 1 NM OR LESS AFTER MIDNIGHT.
v26wa

Post by v26wa »

Gotta work anyway.............. I went out on a buddys 24 whaler he just put in today & installed my mooring. Was great to be out there again !! Have Sun Mon off. maby launch monday ?!?!?!?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic