removing decals from an alloy boat

General boating discussion
v26wa

removing decals from an alloy boat

Post by v26wa »

Got my new (to me) boat today ! Its awesome !! i have to remove the old reg #'s & will put new ones elswhere. My ? is how to remove the old ones ( sticky stuff ). The boat is a 2006 & shines like new. On a glass boat I would use acitone & rewax. What to do with alloy & not dull the finish ?
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Use a razor blade to remove the old sticker then clean glue off with goo be gone or like remover .

Get a can of nylac from Jay @ Blacklab and spray the old area let dry and apply new stickers.

The stickers WILL remove the clear coating on the hull , trust me.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
warthog5

Post by warthog5 »

Hairdryer and a plastic Bondo squeegee.
"Just 'cause it's New, doesn't mean it's worth a Damn."
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

v26wa wrote:Got my new (to me) boat today ! Its awesome !! i have to remove the old reg #'s & will put new ones elswhere. My ? is how to remove the old ones ( sticky stuff ). The boat is a 2006 & shines like new. On a glass boat I would use acitone & rewax. What to do with alloy & not dull the finish ?
Hmmm, we're working with 1/2 a story as usual. I thought you got a brand new boat from Jay.

Hope to hear the Paul Harvey......"rest of the story"some day. Maybe a picture too.

My heat gun makes quick work of any sticker.
Last edited by JETTYWOLF on Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NUKE

The rest of the story v26wa

Post by NUKE »

I propose a game of 20 questions with v26wa in order to get the big picture :lol:

Does your boat have twin opti max 150"s ?

Did you have to go over the Hudson River to retrieve your new boat ?

Do you fish the Lynn marsh ?

if the answer to a question is yes then move on to the next one . If it is no its someone else turn . P.S. Jay Perrotta can not play :lol:
v26wa

Post by v26wa »

Sound like you know my new boat Nuke !, except I dont live in Lynn. There are pics of her on Black Lab's web site. I will have some up soon after I get a few things done to her. Thanks Nuke & all others for your great advice !! Although I have owned over 12 boats & hold a 100 ton masters Coast Guard license, I am an alloy newbie. Again, thanks for all your help !!!
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Multiple choice question:
My answer....

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
where's Paul Harvey when ya need him...
NUKE

your new boat

Post by NUKE »

I did not guess that you reside in lynn ,just that you may fish there !

next question : are you a user of Tubes by Pete Santini ?

if you are oing to Charter off the new boat can I get in "early"?

is this the Boat ?

if it is there is a sign guy here on AAB that can help you remove the Vinal Material and get you going on your own id. I think he's in Newbury or close by .. good luck! not that you'll need any :lol:
NUKE
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Oh yeah.....the ole "Monster" boat was for sale wasn't it.
Good call Nuke (since we're playing the guessing game)

The clues were all there. Because I did remember seeing the "Monster" boat on Jay's site. Who could forget the 360 degree "party boat" hand railing? And decal needing to be removed.

Nuke, c'c'mon....you're an insider, right? That couldn't have been a wild azz guess.

Would not want a close encounter with the bow of the "Monster"! Almost as wicked as the bow of WreckFishers, T-Wrecks boat, in Jersey.

I've always wanted 'shark jaws' on the bow of mine.
v26wa

Post by v26wa »

Thats it Nuke, thanks for posting the pic ! No charters for me. She will be well taken care of & reside on my mooring at my house. Im not going to paint the bottom but will beach her into my backyard for monthly washings. Ill report the groath here in Boston. As for tubes, almost all of my fishing is live bait (except for cod). Thats why I need the washdown / livewell scoop. Nuke, you are welcome on my boat "early" or any time. can't wait to the start of a great season !!!
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

AWESOME anchor set up!!!! Nice rig!!
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

v26wa, she is mean looking , looks like she is waiting to eat something and I LIKE IT .

The lay out looks VERY workable . She will see lots-O-fish reel soon ,

Can we see a picture looking stright at the bow ?
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
NUKE

got it

Post by NUKE »

I got it :shock: Johnny tell Nuke what he's won for getting it right !

OK Bob :lol: Nuke as the winner of the AAB 20 questions today you gonna get our delux gift pack . it has 3 cases of absolutely nothing that can be used by you and your family absolutely "NEVER " all for you Nuke for winning today on " TWENTY QUESTIONS " Back to you Bob :lol:

Thanks Johnny !and thanks for playing 20 questions on AAB see you next time on AAB :wink:
NUKE
NUKE

fishing with you

Post by NUKE »

v26wa for lack of a better name , That is a cool boat indeed. I would certainly consider it an honor to fish with you some time this year .

My brother lives in Cohasset and fishes Boston Harbor and the Islands and is proficient in live lineing also , I plan on makeing the trip often this season to fish with him as he had an impressive year . It would be cool to get together and fish .

I used to keep a boat in Scituate and have fished from the Ditch back to The Bulls and most of the coastline from P - Town to Nauset and Barnstable by Beach Buggy back in the 70's . The tendency in Maine is towards slot fish ,not that there aren't big fish in Maine but just that with the slot 27" - 40" are not legal so lots of 20" -27" fish are taken out of the fishery .

Sorry for proselytizing . So are you going to cut off that chunck of metal thats up foward or is it of some use ? He told me what it was for but I really didn't get it . PM me with some details and I get you my contact information . and if your up in Black Lab country let me know .we can try to get Jay to go for lunch . Good Luck and better fishing.
NUKE
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

My buddy was close to pulling the trigger on that boat last fall......very nice!!!! If I remember the guy was moving to the mid west.....

Now he's waiting to see the new "Parker" pilot house :!: :!: :?: :?:
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Oh no, the game is over?
NUKE

good guess

Post by NUKE »

I didn't know that the boat was for sale ! no insider trading here .just when I leave the island I have to drive by BlackLab and RockSalt World Headquarters so when something new arrives I get nosey .

I met the original owner when he came up to pickup his Metal Monster and he told me that it was going to get rigged with twin Opti's . Young fella and his wife were into wreck fishing and going to give chartering a go ! Must have been a bad year ,wasn't at it very long and Poof :roll:

Thier loss is v26wa 's gain however 8)
NUKE
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Yep, here she is when she was lacking "monsterization".

I did get that one tiny little clue that the boat was on Jay's site. But failed to have the "local lurker" connection.

Okay, who we gonna play the "Paul Harvey game" with next?
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

REMOVAL

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

Nuke, I replace my red water line and gunnel trim stickers each year. I take a propane tourch and a plasic putty knife, then mineral sprits to rub off the left over glue. Works like a charm. PS I don't blame you for wanting to take the name off the sides. It probably wouldn't be bad if the gud had it in script of some fancier looking lettering. Good luck. Marty
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
NUKE

Post by NUKE »

Not my Boat Marty ! belongs to v26wa
NUKE
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

You think you've got problems with decals? The LaConner in my sig has huge letters that are 20 years old and they don't want to come off with any amount of heat or solvent. Its gonna take a sanding disc . . .
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Pursuit

Re: removing decals from an alloy boat

Post by Pursuit »

Try your local body shop. They have a decal removing tool, called gum wheel by 3M. Removes decals off auto bodies painted surfaces without hurting the paint. I have one and it works great. Trick is to use light pressure. If you want to buy one, try wholesale auto body paint supply. Good Luck, Kirk
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Thanks Kirk - great 1st post and welcome to AluminumAlloyBoats.com.

I'll look into that product tomorrow
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
capeannfisherman

power washer

Post by capeannfisherman »

I have found that a power washer will remove decals even when you don't want them removed.
Adrian
v26wa

Post by v26wa »

Great advise, thanks all !!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic