Looking for another Cat..................

General boating discussion
NIGHTHAWK

Looking for another Cat..................

Post by NIGHTHAWK »

Who builds 18'-20' aluminum Cats?

I would like to buy one that I could trailer and that has tall sides (freeboard).

I had a 15'-6" Livingston NON ALLOY Cat, but it was short on freeboard. Great bay boat! I have been thinking about another one, but would rather have it in Alloy and a little longer.

Maybe I will have to design one and have it built.

Pictures please; if you know of any.
28' MAXWELD MAXCAT (Twin 225 Hondas)

Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Roger,

There are very few small cats in aluminum. Here is a 21 from Munson and you get a landing craft configuration thrown in with the deal which can be pretty handy

They will build them without the house and rig it for a tiller motor if you want a totally open style
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
NIGHTHAWK

Post by NIGHTHAWK »

Morning Bob,

Thank you. Nice boat.

This glass cat is very similar in style or close to what I had in mind. Just need it in Alloy.

Not the exact finished boat, but very close.

http://www.haasmarine.com/index.html

http://www.haasmarine.com/Profile_Shots.html

Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

That is a nice little boat, really like how the asymmetrical hulls allow it to turn like a monohull.

One of the members here, Bullshipper, is getting set-up to build alloy cats in Mexico. You might PM him to get his latest info.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
NIGHTHAWK

Post by NIGHTHAWK »

Chaps wrote:That is a nice little boat, really like how the asymmetrical hulls allow it to turn like a monohull.

One of the members here, Bullshipper, is getting set-up to build alloy cats in Mexico. You might PM him to get his latest info.
Awesome, I will get in touch with him.

Bullshipper

Post by Bullshipper »

If you want high sides and gradually sloping tunnel in the front to plane over chop, its impossible to build a small cat that has enough flat deck space due to the length of the sloping tunnel, and the bow cap that has to be big enough to provide ridigity to the structure.

Look at a World cat 22.6, and you will see that there isn't much room in back of the leaning post or in front of the console, even on a longer CC model than you are requesting. And the link you are showing is a 22' corsair design.

Twin vees and others get around this just like Livingston, by making low gunwhale bay style boats to decrease the sloping length by decreasing the tunnels height, but 18-19' seems to be the minimum length even on these low bay boats.

Aluminum cats require a lot more welding than monos, so they can't compete, especially against pop em out NON ALLOY boats that are about 1/3 the cost to build.

There are some small kit cats made in this length out of Austrailia but most are pretty darn ugly IMO when short length and high.
Last edited by Bullshipper on Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bullshipper

Post by Bullshipper »

NIGHTHAWK

Post by NIGHTHAWK »

Bullshipper wrote:If you want high sides and gradually sloping tunnel in the front to plane over chop, its impossible to build a small cat that has enough flat deck space due to the length of the sloping tunnel, and the bow cap that has to be big enough to provide ridigity to the structure.

Look at a World cat 22.6, and you will see that there isn't much room in back of the leaning post or in front of the console, even on a longer CC model than you are requesting. And the link you are showing is a 22' corsair design.

Twin vees and others get around this just like Livingston, by making low gunwhale bay style boats to decrease the sloping length by decreasing the tunnels height, but 18-19' seems to be the minimum length even on these low bay boats.

Aluminum cats require a lot more welding than monos, so they can't compete, especially against pop em out NON ALLOY boats that are about 1/3 the cost to build.

There are some small kit cats made in this length out of Austrailia but most are pretty darn ugly IMO when short length and high.

Thanks for the info.

What type of boats are you going to build? What length and width?

Bullshipper

Post by Bullshipper »

Have plans for a 24 x 8'6" cc and sportcabin.

Have discussed doing a 29.5 x 10 walk around pilot house.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic