Stupid Pacific question??

General boating discussion
SJD

Stupid Pacific question??

Post by SJD »

I bought a 2005 pacific 2025 last year. I was looking for my bilge plug and found a smallish looking bolt at the very bottom of the transom. Looked too small to be an effective drain. I tried to loosen it with an allen wrench but it would not budge. Did not want to strip it so left it in place without causing any harm. Looking into the space below deck it was dry as a bone. Question: is this the bilge drain and should I try harder to remove it periodically??
MacCTD

Re: Stupid Pacific question??

Post by MacCTD »

That is the drain, might be frozen in, not sure if something like PB Blaster might help to break it free, but I would try soaking it with that.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

Well at least you didn't get a stupid answer.
BroadCove

Post by BroadCove »

Follow-up question for other Pacific owners: do you ever remove that plug? I haven't. The only time I have water in the bilge is when I stick a garden hose in there at the beginning of the season to make sure the bilge pump is working.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Yes I remove it quite often. Because of the way I run and because the rear compartment hatch (custom made from starboard) isn't water tight I get a lot of water in that aft compartment. I also removed the drain plug in that aft hatch area so everything drains down below :arrow:

Remove that drain plug at the transom and apply a generous amount of tef-gel to the plug and to the female pipe threads in the hull and reinstall it.......

Side note....that NPT plug has a hex size that is the same as a cordless drill screwdriver bit size (1/4"). I install my bit in my cordless drill backwards and use it to remove and tighten the plug. Just don't strip the threads by over tightening it.

Oh and I once had a math teacher that said "the only stupid question is the one you don't ask" :beer:
AT
Nat

Post by Nat »

I always pull my plug and drain the bilge, I always get water in my bilge, even when it's sitting on the trailer, from rain water

but it's never enough to kick the bilge pump on

Pull the access hatch and look down in the bilge, if you see water, Then you should pull the plug and drain it

If it's dry.........don't worry about it

BUT, like you said.....if you do pull it.......go easy on the threads
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic