Arneson surface drives

General boating discussion
longranger

Arneson surface drives

Post by longranger »

May take a look at a cat with Arneson surface drives. I know nothing about them other than thier website claims. Do they make sense on a boat used mainly as a fishing platform? Are thier claims of economy and durability accurate? Thanks for your knowledgable input in advance.

Mike B
Jay Perrotta
Sponsor/Donator

Post by Jay Perrotta »

Hi Mike,

Surface drives are very interesting things but I would humbly suggest that they aren't much use on a recreational fishing boat.

First of all they stick out like crazy and the stuff sticking out would just love to catch fishing lines.

Second of all they are great going really fast but backing down and slow speed work is tricky at best.

Lastly they are expensive. You may not mind the cost but to spend more for an item that will make a difficult boat which will be almost impossible to resell doesn't sound like a great idea.

Good luck,
Jay Perrotta
longranger

Post by longranger »

Thanks for your wisdom Jay. Searching the web I am finding almost no info on these drives except on boats made for speed. Interestingly a couple of the builders in the pacific Northwest report that many of thier new Alloy comercial fishing boats are employing Arneson drives. I am not sure if this is true just passing on what I heard.

I will be going to the Fred Hall sportfishing and boat show in Long Beach
California on friday. Hopefully they will have a couple of exhibiters with alloy boats so I can continue my education and do some serious window shopping. Will ask lots of questions if any of the offerings have arneson drives.

Again thanks,

Mike B
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Mike , I know Tradewind and Inflatables will be there [ Fred Hall Show ] with I think a pacific 23 Pilot house, ask for Kenny at the booth
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I had a friend, that had a friend, that made his own drive system like that.
Or at least the "redneck-engineered" version...

Put it an old Ana Capri Center Console.

It ended up being neither fast, or practical.

But did shoot one hell of a rooster-tail out the back of the boat.

Afterwards I think it won a Jeff Foxworthy Redneck Front Yard photo contest.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic