PNW Boat builders

General boating discussion
welder
Site Admin

Re: PNW Boat builders

Post by welder »

Waterdog,
You Sir are becoming my New HERO , your using your head and thinking outside the box :thumbsup: and this is how one shops for a boat.
Attachments
Teaser picture for waterdogs Wife. :]
Teaser picture for waterdogs Wife. :]
CWB Outboard power.jpg (118.5 KiB) Viewed 6984 times
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
waterdog247
Donator '10, '12, '13

Post by waterdog247 »

Welder-
For your information, she was quick to point out that boat is only good for fishin! No walk-through transom, two big outboards, no V-berth, probably doesn't even have a stand-up head... Can't blame a woman for knowing what she wants!!!

I am such a lucky man!

p.s. I put a couple more pictures in my gallery for your enjoyment!
waterdog247
Donator '10, '12, '13

Post by waterdog247 »

This is sort of what my concept was. My grandfather had a Reinell that had an I/O with an engine box. It was made out of non-alloy, so it wouldn't work for this. Alloy should though. Reinforce the inside, make it removable so you can lift the cover... You get the idea.
Attachments
Engine box concept1.jpg
Engine box concept1.jpg (9.57 KiB) Viewed 6966 times
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Waterdog,
You have a GOOD woman , I wish my Wife thought like that :thumbsup: but remember , these are Alloy beast and the builder can add or change what ever you want .
Attachments
All kinds of Alloy running amuck
All kinds of Alloy running amuck
P7150018.JPG (114.57 KiB) Viewed 6949 times
Lester,
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

Waterdog: While using the engine box on an I/O for getting into and out of dive gear sounds like a good idea there are some problems with it. First, as you have noted, the box takes up a lot of deck space. (EagleCrafts engine are completely below deck) but more importantly if the box is not sealed extremely well and you are very careful you will get SALTWATER down on the engine.

I speak from experience!! When I lived in FL I had a glass and teak boat we used for divining, snorkeling and swimming. After a while I realized that a good deal of the saltwater we were bringing on the boat when we were diving or the kids swimming ended up one the engine – what a mess.

If you do go with an I/O, and I think that is best for you needs, make damn sure the engine box or hatch is truly self bailing and that saltwater cannot get down on the engine.

SB
waterdog247
Donator '10, '12, '13

Post by waterdog247 »

SB- there you go again! Making all kinds of sense! :thumbsup:

This is where I need to stop assuming. I thought that if a boat has a self bailing deck, and an engine box, common sense would necessitate a watertight cover to the engine compartment. If I understand you correctly, some manufacturers don't execute that as well as others.

Just added one more thing to the list of "must haves"!
ski49

Post by ski49 »

check out yachtworld there are quite a few alloy boat on there now in PNW
Green Hornet

Post by Green Hornet »

Hello Chaps,
I am looking for a big wave riding boat around 24 foot.
There is a lot boats out there claiming they have a offshore boat. I seen on the web a boat manufacture called Ironwood Boats. They look like they make boats for the ocean. Not a lake or river boat conversion. That Duckworth offshore looks like it would be nice or it is another river conversion? Pacific Boats out of Marysville looks good but the dead rise angles would make for a wet ride in a offshore situation. Have any thoughts?
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Green, I think that was you IM'n me and I missed it, sorry. But you now have a PM in your box.

:beer:
Lester,
Green Hornet

Post by Green Hornet »

To Welder:

Yep I call Jay at rock salt, man they want 180k for a 28 ft cuddy. I just wish pacific they could build me a hull like those c-kings or those rock salts. I just need a dry hull and real reverse chime. I
chatted with pacific. They say they know a guy that has the boat that's close to what I am looking at, maybe I can get a ride on that....they said. What happen to C-king marine?
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Green , have you taken a ride on any of these boats ?
Alloy , because it is lighter than glass is harder to have a steeper dead rise, we need to do like the boys down under do and make 24* DR with ballast tubes.

Because of the lighter hull , ones boat handling skills will improve learning to drive it in most conditions.

There are NO dry boats just some dryer than others. :mrgreen:
Lester,
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Beleive it not we did not get wet in this shot , it's all in how ya take the swells and the wind and of course there are day ya need ran gear. LOL
Attachments
'10 #2.JPG
'10 #2.JPG (38.13 KiB) Viewed 6822 times
Lester,
Homertime

Post by Homertime »

Shark Bait wrote:If you are remotely thinking of using the boat for charters you will need a boat with an American built hull, which rules out any of the Canadian boats.
Reading this reminded me of what the sales guy told me when I was in the looking stage at the Kingfishers. He said their hulls were made in the US (Oregon somewhere, I think) and shipped to somewhere in BC for build up and assembly. He said it was usable as a charter. I don't charter and had no intention of it, so I didn't pay any attention to it. He never brought it up again. I don't even know if it's true. I have only seen one Kingfisher with a charter decal on it in Homer. If it's because they are totally Canadian made, that answers the question.
jrogers
Donator '08

Post by jrogers »

Waterdog,

I have a 2009 Seawolf 31' with a D6 Volvo Penta IO. It is a flush deck and self bailing. Seawolf will build them with either an IO or with outboards, the choice is yours. It is a great boat, and everything is very well engineered to last and it is easy to work on. I love the boat, and am happy with my choice. I carry 230 gallons of fuel, and burn 10-11 GPH at 26kts, with a top speed of 37kts at 20gph. It works out to around 3MPG and 600 mile at my economy cruise. The boat is very stable at anchor, and does great in both head seas and following seas. I am very impressed with the overall performance. I did a long post on this forum when it was getting build in case you want to see the details of the build.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1056&hilit=seawolf+build

I would be glad to answer any questions you have about this brand. I was very happy with the build quality, both of the welding and the interior wood work. At first I was concerned that the interior would get banged up easily, but it is really quite rugged, and looks like a new boat after 2 seasons and 320 hours.
Jim

waterdog247
Donator '10, '12, '13

Post by waterdog247 »

Jim, Fullyloaded is a gorgeous boat. Thank you for directing me to the build thread. Did you ever get a video of your sea trial?

We are looking at Seawolf, unfortunately I don't think he is building right now. His website says he is taking some time off. We did find a nice used one we are considering if we can't afford a new build.

Thanks again for the info!
jrogers
Donator '08

Post by jrogers »

I never got video of the sea trial. I was down there by myself for that, and was busy learning about the boat and all the systems. They took a full day with me and went through everything which was nice.

The word I heard from Stennar (the owner) was that he was taking orders for spring of 2011 delivery. I know he took some time off this summer to take advantage of the slow economy since he was running full speed for 10 years and wanted a bit of a break. One thing nice about them is that they do what they say, both in terms of delivery schedule and pricing. I know guys that ordered boats the same time I did and were promised a quicker delivery than I was, and they are still waiting.
Jim

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic