V1925 or V2025 and Jackplate

General boating discussion
Hunter

V1925 or V2025 and Jackplate

Post by Hunter »

Hello - Got my first question for you all. Has anyone heard or had experience with a 1925 or 2025 and a Jackplate? My goal is to be able get into the shallows on the CT river for fishing and tasty winged creatures, while still being able to venture out to Plumb Gut or the Race on good days. Thanks in advance for the help.

Scott
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Scott how far up the river are you trying to go? Isn't it pretty deep from Saybrook point to Hartford? I know North of Hartford near the old Enfield damn it gets shallow.......Roland Martin took a jet outboard through there years ago.

Good idea though, a hydraulic unit would be cool............
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

The River is quite deep in some parts. However I'm trying to get in to all of the back marsh area. There's a bit of shallow water around the mouth and coves along the river, pot holes here and there. I'd be casting top water stuff, flyfishing, and this is where the ducks and geese are.

I beleive FishOff's rigs is what I would be looking at.

Thanks

Scott
Jay Perrotta
Sponsor/Donator

Post by Jay Perrotta »

Scott we've done a couple of 23 footers with jackplates but no 19's or 20's.

When we did the first one - (a competitive cat fisherman in WV) - I felt like we were selling bass boats. Thought I should do some purple glitter and a batman windshield!

but...

I loved the darn thing! We did a second one recently and enjoyed it as well.

There's nothing about the 19 and 20 that would preclude using one!

Skinny water alloy - I like it!
Jay Perrotta
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Hunter,

I've got my next BLM already planned in my head...and it's a 19 footer that will included power tiller steering, and a jack plate, a Trolling moter mounted on the bow, and a pedestal seat, for the ultimate REAL Florida Flats/bay boat. (If they'll make me a tiller version) that doesn't have powder coat, glitter, platforms, towers, or shiney gel coat to rip up on oysterbeds!

I already chug along over 2-1/2 feet of water in my 26 footer to get to some skinny water Redfish....it's daring but many times worth it.

I'd love to see some multi-tasking 19's.
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

I think I'm in love. Check out this site.

www.duckwaterboats.com To bad the bottom hull in only 0.19 and 5052.

Scott
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Hmmm???
Cool idea's...never seen that site before. (Chaps, do we need to add that site to the list??)

but I prefer this one. I'm biased! I own a 26' one.
I've always loved THIS boat that could go offshore one day, up in the skinny for Redfish on the trolling motor the next day, and then a few ducks the next trip....if I was a duckman.

Hunter, wonder how shallow them duck boats can go?
Re-sale could be harder that a standard CC boat
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

Yup, love that one too. However, my 4.3L S-10 just doens't have enough in her to pull that one around.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Really????? Wow, that lil 20 footer don't weigh nothing. That really doesn't sound good.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

I've towed my 23HT with the wifes AWD 6cyl Astro.............all day!!
fishbulb

Post by fishbulb »

How shallow can these Pacific/BLM boats go? The rated draft on the 23' is 12" and I've always been curious how little they can run in. I've been putting together ideas for a 23ST for a while now and definately think I'd get a jackplate, as we have a lot of good rivers around here.

The current boat can float in 6" (engine up) and run in 10" which gets me pretty well everywhere but I still run onto some pretty nasty gravel bars now and then (water is mud colored so no hope of spotting them ahead of time).

Not thread related, but I'm also curious if anyone knows the distance from tip of the bow to the water on a 23 or 26 - biggest standard trolling motor is 60" long and I've been trying to figure out if I can get one up on the front.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Fishbuld , you can get trim tabs with trolling motors on them , they work great.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
fishbulb

Post by fishbulb »

welder wrote:Fishbuld , you can get trim tabs with trolling motors on them , they work great.
Do you need to be moving fairly fast to have decent steering control with the trim tab type? I don't need a trolling motor for holding position in a current or actual trolling, more for maneuvering around a lot at very slow speeds, think largemouth bass in small lakes.

Another idea I had was to get the kicker bracket option and mount a digital-steer remote motor (Motorguide has one for transom mount now) to the bracket. Then the column could be very short, but it would still lose a lot of the steering leverage that the front-mount has.
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

AlloyToy wrote:I've towed my 23HT with the wifes AWD 6cyl Astro.............all day!!
Really!!!!! Hmmmmm. My GVWR is 5500 lbs. Any ideas on what a 23 loaded with a trailer weighs in at? These are things I really sahoudn't be told. :twisted:

Thanks for the info
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

My 2325CC with 3/4 tank of gas , Honda BF225, trailer [ galv ] , spair tire and guide on rails, all gear that stays on the boat.

5860 lbs, on our USDA cert. Peanut scales

Now top off the fuel and add all the fishing gear and ice and stuff I would be knocking on 7000 lbs

The trailer weighs right a 1795 lbs [ With tire and bracket + 8' guide ons ]
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

Well guess this mean I need a new (used) truck. Oh, the humanity.
Black Spot Boats

Running skinny with Alloy

Post by Black Spot Boats »

Sorry I missed this discussion. What you need is a Black Spot Boat. Just pull it behind your big boat on those rough days! Running in less than an 1" of water is all kinds of fun!
Merrill S. Johnson
WWW.BlackSpotBoats.com
New England Distributor for Rolls Axle Trailers
WWW.Rollsaxle.com
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Pacific V235 HT 2600#'s (off BLM web page)
Yamaha F150 4S 585#'s
Gear......maybe 650#
Fuel 50 gallons on avg. 400#'s
Aluminum "I" beam bunk Trailer #not sure ???
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Fishbulb,

The trolling tabs are crap if you are in East Coast current.......Many friends have tried them around here, and you'll be driven crazy in a river current just steering them things.

I can see open bays, lite current, they probably work great. Tight places, like our inlet's jetties here in Jax. They don't work. And in the river here.

They all ditched them and went back to 36V trolling motors.

If you use a Motor Guide with a SS shaft, I have heard of custom's. A lil longer than 60". Don't know how did it, but heard someone did.

All that might work on a 19 or 20' Model, but the 23 & 26 are a bit large.

WHATS A 4.3 Liter??? A V-6???
If so you can tow a 20 footer, I did my large NON ALLOY boat 23 foot boat with a Ford 302 and a 5 speed stick. It sucked, but it worked.
Kelper

Re: V1925 or V2025 and Jackplate

Post by Kelper »

Hunter wrote:Hello - Got my first question for you all. Has anyone heard or had experience with a 1925 or 2025 and a Jackplate? My goal is to be able get into the shallows on the CT river for fishing and tasty winged creatures, while still being able to venture out to Plumb Gut or the Race on good days. Thanks in advance for the help.

Scott
I've taken my 19' skiff up some very shallow rivers on the flood to blast ducks. It doesn't take much water to float it at all and when I get to the super shallow water, I use a pole to move the boat. I don't have a jackplate.
Hunter

Re: V1925 or V2025 and Jackplate

Post by Hunter »

[/quote]
I've taken my 19' skiff up some very shallow rivers on the flood to blast ducks. It doesn't take much water to float it at all and when I get to the super shallow water, I use a pole to move the boat. I don't have a jackplate.[/quote]

Sweet, never thought about poling. Your other post said that you ran a 90hp motor and it works out real well. Would do anything different if you got another skiff?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic