Bottom Paint Help

General boating discussion
IRONWOODTUNA(CODY)

Bottom Paint Help

Post by IRONWOODTUNA(CODY) »

Hey guys,
I'm getting ready to start working on my boat over the winter to get it ready for my first season and i was wondering if i should sand off the bottom paint to bare aluminum and than primer and bottom paint again? Or should i just do a light sand and than add more bottom paint? Any Advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Cody
jrogers
Donator '08

Re: Bottom Paint Help

Post by jrogers »

Cody,

I can't give you any advice on the bottom paint, hopefully someone else here will chime in. I left mine without paint and it is doing well. How much time will you be spending in the water (slip) vs. on a trailer? Also, are you talking about your Dad's boat, or something else? Where will you be using it next season?
Jim

jrogers
Donator '08

Post by jrogers »

I thought of a couple more questions after I posted. It would be helpful to know what type of bottom paint is on it. Some are designed to be painted over, and other need to be sanded. I think most of them don't need to be sanded bare before adding new paint. Are you sure it needs to be redone? If you have some pictures of the bottom this may be helpful as well.
Jim

Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Cody, sanding off to bare aluminum is seldom necessary unless the stuff thats on there is failing miserably. If its in basically good shape do a good pressure wash, scuff with 80 grit and repaint. Some pics would help
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
IRONWOODTUNA(CODY)

It's my dad's boat which is now mine. The bottom paint that is on there is Trilux. The boat is to wide to be trailered so it will be in the water all season. I know my dad and i repainted the bottom before every season to avoid lots of growth and barnacles slowing us down.
Thanks for the help guys
Bigdog923

Post by Bigdog923 »

You can find that info here [url][/http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/diy/media ... et.aspxurl]
jrogers
Donator '08

Post by jrogers »

IRONWOODTUNA(CODY) wrote:It's my dad's boat which is now mine. The bottom paint that is on there is Trilux. The boat is to wide to be trailered so it will be in the water all season. I know my dad and i repainted the bottom before every season to avoid lots of growth and barnacles slowing us down.
Thanks for the help guys

I look forward to the videos next summer...
Jim

IronwoodIsland

Post by IronwoodIsland »

Hi Cody

We have an Ironwood with Trilux as well, I repainted it last year. Yes, you should just pressure wash, scrape algae etc off and repaint. But if there are any bare metal patches it would be best to use the Interlux underwater metal primer over those areas so you don't have copper paint ontop of aluminum metal which can lead to corrosion.

I'm planning on using Epaint next time since it does not have copper in it.

Graham
19' Ironwood extended with platform to 21'
IRONWOODTUNA(CODY)

Thanks for the help guys, yes definitely should have some videos again once the boats in the water :)
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

IronwoodIsland wrote:Hi Cody

We have an Ironwood with Trilux as well, I repainted it last year. Yes, you should just pressure wash, scrape algae etc off and repaint. But if there are any bare metal patches it would be best to use the Interlux underwater metal primer over those areas so you don't have copper paint ontop of aluminum metal which can lead to corrosion.

I'm planning on using Epaint next time since it does not have copper in it.

Graham

Graham,

No worries on the Trilux since the copper load is thiocyanate instead of cuprous oxide. Copper in the thiocyanate form is far less corrosive and can be used on aluminum without concern. Petit Vivid also utilizes it. However, neither will stick well to bare aluminum so proper metal primers need to be used under any of the compatible anti-foul paints.
tracy

Post by tracy »

E&D manufacturing ltd. http://www.whiskeycreekmarine.com/
.................... Image
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic