Viking welding tri-hull

General boating discussion
rocky_taco

Viking welding tri-hull

Post by rocky_taco »

I'm interested in finding a 14-16' (probably still 1 year away from a purchase) aluminum fishing boat that is tough. I sent an email to Jay at Black Lab asking if he ever made anything shorter than 19'. Evidently they used to sell a 17' boat, but no longer do. He recommended the Response marine designed and built by viking welding tri-hull. Does anyone know anything about this boat? Have any been made as fishing boats?

http://www.vikingwelding.com/pages/Menu ... riHull.htm

They look pretty nice, although the sides seem sort of short to me.
Challenge
Donator 08, 09,10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22

Re: Viking welding tri-hull

Post by Challenge »

Hi Rocky,

I own the R-155, and love it! It is a 2005 demo that I purchased last year. Bill at Response and Don and Erik at Viking are great people to deal with, I'm working with Bill to design a new bigger boat. The viking web page is a little rough but their boats are great! I think that they are currently working on a 17' boat.

It has a 40hp 4 stroke Merc and tops out about 25 knots with just me. I use it in a Rhode Island salt water pond as a taxi to the beach and general family play boat. I've been in 2-3' seas and felt very comfortable. As my kids say it's bulletproof! If you are going to be swimming or using it for water sports get the dive door! I know that they will be glad to customize the boat however you would like.

I've been on some 15-18' whalers and my boat is much more stable! If you are concerned about the sides have them make the railing around the boat higher.

here are some photos of my boat:

http://s869.photobucket.com/albums/ab255/Rick-W/Viking/

Please let me know any questions that you have and I will answer them as best I can. I can also get you out on the boat anytime, but I know your are not in my back yard!

Cheers

Rick
rocky_taco

Post by rocky_taco »

Nice looking boat. It looks like you added some electronics to the console at some point. I like how the railings on your boat look .vs. the ones on the web page. I especially like the bullet proof description. What did you think of the boat in the 3' waves you were mentioning? That's about the limit I would want to tackle in lake Michigan. And I'd want to be able to see the pier. That lake has weather that can really sneak up on you. It is to be respected.

Overall, what do you think of the build quality etc? what are your thoughts on the dive door? I'm somewhat resistant to that and would tend to lean more toward the swim ladder off the stern. But, I think that's just because I've not seen one to experience it. I have a 2.5 year old daughter that loves to swim, so something that makes it easy to get into the boat would be nice.
Challenge
Donator 08, 09,10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22

Post by Challenge »

Hi Rocky,

Yes I had viking build me the electronics box... It worked out very well, I brought them a cardboard version and a half day later I was installing my GPS and VHF.

My railings are similar to the web page, I wrapped them w/rope to protect other boats. they extend up about 2-3" above the gunnel.

The boat is a 15'er so larger waves are a difficult, I was in about a 3' swell and the drift was fine, I was planning on heading home if it got any worse. I just need to slow down for heavy waves, the boat is VERY stable and predictable.

The dive door is great for swimming and beaching, my 5 and 7 year old are very comfortable boarding as well as swimming from it actually I think that my 15 month olds boarded by it last summer. I feel very safe with them jumping and re-boarding through the dive door. It needs to be lowered from the water by an adult but once it is in the water it works very well. here is a link to other photos of the dive door:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2798

My previous boat was a 23' Grady. this is my first welded aluminum boat and the fit and quality are fine. I get alot of comments about never washing it for the season... and I really don't miss waxing at all or worrying about docking.

Let me know if you think of anything else.

Rick
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic