FLSUHED IN TRANSDUCER

General boating discussion
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

FLSUHED IN TRANSDUCER

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

jUST THOUGHT YOU GUYS MIGHT LIKE SOME CLOSE UP PHOTOS OF THE TRANSDUCER AND THE RAMP THAT BRINGS THE WATER OVER IT WITH NO AIR BUBBLES. MTY
FAR VIEW OF RAMP & DUCER:
SIDE VIEW:
SIZE OF DUCER:
CLOSER UP SHOT:
BOTTOM UP FROM THE REAR SHOT:
BOTTOM UP FROM THE FRONT:
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
peterbo3
Contributor

Post by peterbo3 »

G'Day Marty,
How did you come up with that design? It is pretty radical yet gives a good echo.
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

RAMP

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

As you can see the side to the keel is flush, so the other side stuck out due to the angle of the hull bottom. I told the builder who had made the transducer box out of 1/2" plate, and attached it to one side of the keel that it couldn't stickout like that because the turbulance would give me NO signal at all. I told him to make me a long forward ramp too bring the water over the unit without turbulance. He did just what I needed. It gives me EXCELLENT BOTTOM SIGNAL AT 25-KNOTS IN 600-FEET OF WATER. You can see fish, bait, bottom structure.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Marty, that's an awesome idea!!!! Big plus I'm sure on the canyon runs
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

ALLOY TOY TRANSDUCER ON TRANSOM

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

Hey AlloyToy,

Here is my old Bottomline transducer mounted on my transom. THis weekend I am taking it off, and installing my new Side Imaging Hummingbird WIDE screen transom mount transducer. I'll take pixs of it when done. Mty

If you look at thei side photo shot, you will see the transducer front is lower than the bottom plate and the bottom of the unit is slightly lower towards the rear making the water get forced over the face creating less air bubbles.
Last edited by Ironwoodtuna on Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
fishontop

Post by fishontop »

Sweet setup...very well thought out. Great shot of your trim tab as well.
NUKE

Marty's Pictures of sending units

Post by NUKE »

Marty, great photos raise some questions ,

Is that a sight glass to right of outdrive ?

why square scuppers ? on point ?

did you have to add the straps to keep bait from swimming out the big square hole?

how do the tabs operate ?

can we see a picture of the tabs extended or how ever they get deployed ?

Just above the right trim tab there seems to be a round or oval patch welded ,whats that?

and last but not least are you the Marty that taught Tred and his son Hunter to bounce live eels off the bottom at night on Treds T.V. show ?
NUKE
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

Re: Marty's Pictures of sending units

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

NUKE wrote:Marty, great photos raise some questions ,

Is that a sight glass to right of outdrive ?
NO, THERE ARE TWO GREEN HOLOGEN UNDERWATER LIGHTS/STAINLESS.

why square scuppers ? on point ?
THE SQURE SCUPPERS ARE NOW MISSING THE PLASTIC BALLS THAT CLOSE OFF THE ROUND HOLES ON THE INSIDE. I ADDED THE PLASTIC PVC FLAPS BECAUSE THE BALLS DIDN'T WORK THAT WELL UNLESS I WAS BACKING DOWN REAL HARD ON A FISH. THE FLAPS WORK BETTER WHEN JUST DRIFITING ANS THE BALLS DIDN'T. THE BALLS DRIED UP AND CRACKED FROM THE SUN AND DIDNT REPLACE THEM.
did you have to add the straps to keep bait from swimming out the big square hole?
THE STRAPS HELD THE BALLS. SEE PIX BELOW.

how do the tabs operate ?
ELECTRIC FROM THE DASH BOARD CONTROL, THEY ARE THE ONLY TABS I WOULD RECOMMEND ON A ALUINUM BOAT.

can we see a picture of the tabs extended or how ever they get deployed ?
YES, I'LL TAKE SOME THIS WEEKEND AND POST ON MONDAY FOR YOU

Just above the right trim tab there seems to be a round or oval patch welded ,whats that?
THAT WAS FROM THE ORIGINAL BENNET TRIM TABS AS WELL AS WHY THE FLAT PLATE WHERE THESE NEW TABS ARE MUCH SMALLER THAN THE OLD 12" X 24" BENETT TABS.

and last but not least are you the Marty that taught Tred and his son Hunter to bounce live eels off the bottom at night on Treds T.V. show ?

10/4 THATS ME!
HERE YOU CAN SEE HOW THE BALLS SHOULD CLOSE OFF THE ROUND HOLE, THE SQURE BOXES ALLOWS THE WATER TO DRAIN, THERE ARE NEOPREME GASKETS ON THE BOX SIDE OF THE ROUND HOLE FOR THE BALL TO SEAL AGAINST.
IN THIS PICTURE YOU CAN SEE THE ORIGINAL BALLS.

HERE ARE THE ORGINAL BENNET TABS WHEN THEY WERE ON.
NUKE

marty answers

Post by NUKE »

Thanks Marty,
good stuff to know (Like Paul Harvey's the rest of the story) glad I asked.
I noticed that you like to hit (set) the fish on the fist tic and Tred was not getting set. Were you using J hooks ? I like that type of fishing also but prefer to use circle hooks, let them run a little and the sports dont drop fish . A little harder to rig the eel sometimes but a fish every time no drops and the Mortality rate increases .Maine has a slot rule 20"to27" and 40" and over .Lots of under 40" go back ,gut hook not good for business .
I realy enjoyed that tv show ,you will have to get him out on your alloy to The "Block" or maybe M/V Derby for some great Alloy TV.
Thank You for the answers.
a" Reel Fan " NUKE :D
NUKE
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

HOOKS AND TRED

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

WE USED MY BOAT TO FILM HIS BOAT DURING THAT SHOW, BUT IT DIDN'T MAKE IT INTO THE SHOW.

I USE 9/0 BRONZE COLOR J HOCKS OR GAMUGATUS HOOKS AND HIT THEM FISH QUICK AS THEY TOUCH, MORE HOOK UPS IN THE DARKER MERKY WATERS AT NIGHT IN MONTAUK AND FEWER GUT HOOKS. THE AMOUNT OF FISH LOST BECUASE THE BASS HIT THE EEL AND DON'T EAT IT IS HUGE.

I AM GOING TO DO A SHOW THIS YEAR IN THE CANYON ON MY BOAT WITH TRED, WE GOT SHUT DOWN BY WEATHER LAST YEAR UNFORTUNATELY.
NUKE

Eels

Post by NUKE »

I was weened on live lineing eels . drifting rips ,casting rocks and surf and tidal changes .I intend to try your bottom technique this season .but it has been my experience that people pull the trigger to soon on a bass .the bass approache and tend to stun thier prey rather than engulph it on first pass .so I counter with an open spool and thumb pressure .First I feel the bump then it starts to take line then I stop the fish .circle set in jaw . You wont use 36 eels ever again I'm willing to say ! I'm looking foward to watching your adventure to the canyon too :)
NUKE
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Marty, Here's my pics:
viewtopic.php?t=339
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic