Zinks

General boating discussion
welder
Site Admin

Zinks

Post by welder »

Does any one install them INSIDE the hull / bilge ?

What a good why to clean your anodes ?

When is a good time to replace them ?

What say you ?
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

It's Zinc's with a "C" Les.... :lol: :lol:

I can't answer much of that but I'll tell ya what I've done, be it either wrong or right or just plain stupid.

My zincs on my outboard always seem to be covered in a salty white crap. To me that seems to be blocking the zinc from doing it's J-O-B.
Especially the one tucked up and under the trim and tilt motor on the bottom. It really gets cakie looking with the white stuff.

So I take it off, and put in a shallow pan full of toilet bowl cleaner.
Aka: Mild acid. And hit it with a wire brush.......off goes all that cakie looking salt and then flush it off with fresh water and re-install.

I just did that to all the zincs on my boat& motor a week ago.....I have toooo much time on my hands this time of year. But they seem to still be nice and clean and if clean helps them do their J-O-B. All the better, I would think.

Wrong-Right-Stupid??? Hey but it wasted an hour that I'd other wise be bored, and didn't cost me any $$. I'm up for those two things in the winter time, around here.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

got your attention didn't it [ K ] are there any in your hull ?
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

In my hull....I doubt it and if there is I need Jay to tell me whewre they are.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Its good to clean your anodes, makes 'em work better. Rule of thumb up here in alloy country is buy yourself a stainless steel wire brush that you dedicate for zinc cleaning. Use a marker to write "zincs only" on the handle. Otherwise rust & paint & other junk from a shop wire brush will get imbedded in the zincs and ruin them. Most guys replace zincs when they are about half gone as they seem to loose their protection ability if you try to let them fade away to nothing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic