Should you isolate stainless steel ?

General boating discussion
v26wa

Should you isolate stainless steel ?

Post by v26wa »

I'm gonna add a few things here & there & was wondering if its ok to use SS hardwear w/o insulation. Thanks!!
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

You really need to use something between the Al. & SS or bad things can/will happen.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
warthog5

Post by warthog5 »

Nylon flat washers and teff gell.
"Just 'cause it's New, doesn't mean it's worth a Damn."
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

Hey Warthog: What's tef gell? I need to isolates some S/S fittings also.

SB
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

http://www.tefgel.com/tuff_gelm_information.htm

Here is some info. and you should be able to get it at any marine hardwear store.
Lester,
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

What's your guys thoughts about using G.E. Silicone. I use it for bedding most of my hardware and it seems to work out well.
To me, what seems most important is that you use a sealant to keep the saltwater from getting between the two surfaces and then drying and leaving those corrosive crystals behind to do the damage.
What do you think?
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
peterbo3
Contributor

Post by peterbo3 »

2DEEP,
Be careful that the silicone you use is a "neutral" cure & is suitable for use on aluminum. Some silicone will eat into different metals fairly quickly.
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
warthog5

Post by warthog5 »

Here is some info. and you should be able to get it at any marine hardwear store.
That's not what I have found. Most of the time if you ask for it,they look at you like you have 2 heads.

I buy it online and buy several tubes, as it is hard to find. It comes in a neat suringe style dispenser with a little plastic eyebrow brush that has a snap in place to keep track of it. The brush is used to get it all applied.

http://wolfwire.com/tefgel/Tef-Gel.htm

ImageImage
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

THIS MAY SOUND REALLY STUPID.....then why isn't there Tef-gel on every bolt and screw on my outboard motor?

It has zero....no O/B I've ever owned had anything. It's Aluminum Alloy and SS fasteners, right? Uder water!

So, who an engineer with a PHD in metalergy?

I'll put some never-sieze on my lower unit bolts sometimes, just to help out. But then again I've never had a problem with a lower unit bolt either way.

I suppose the "GREY" stuff I see under some of my boats fasteners, UNDER WATER is Tef-gel.........JAY??????? Please comment?? Where the heck is he when the really good questions and comments come up here? :?: :?: :?:

Or it could just be grey 3-M 5200?

So much stuff that in my mind is in the GREY catagory. Meaning not Black or White.
I'd like to know the REAL truth.
IN2DEEP

Post by IN2DEEP »

peterbo3 wrote:2DEEP,
Be careful that the silicone you use is a "neutral" cure & is suitable for use on aluminum. Some silicone will eat into different metals fairly quickly.
Thanks for the heads-up about the silicone. I'm aware that some silicones will cause corrosion. I know that some of them burn my nose if I get a whiff :lol:

For anyone else: That hard white powder that I find under improperly bedded hardware, Do you think that it is saltwater crystals or "aluminum oxide powder"?
Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, I'm just trying to learn more.

Thanks
IN2DEEP

Post by IN2DEEP »

JETTYWOLF wrote:THIS MAY SOUND REALLY STUPID.....then why isn't there Tef-gel on every bolt and screw on my outboard motor?

It has zero....no O/B I've ever owned had anything. It's Aluminum Alloy and SS fasteners, right? Uder water!

So, who an engineer with a PHD in metalergy?

I'll put some never-sieze on my lower unit bolts sometimes, just to help out. But then again I've never had a problem with a lower unit bolt either way.

I suppose the "GREY" stuff I see under some of my boats fasteners, UNDER WATER is Tef-gel.........JAY??????? Please comment?? Where the heck is he when the really good questions and comments come up here? :?: :?: :?:

Or it could just be grey 3-M 5200?

So much stuff that in my mind is in the GREY catagory. Meaning not Black or White.
I'd like to know the REAL truth.
JETTYWOLF,
Many of the bolts on your motor could use something on them before assembly. I feel that the factory doesn't use any because they don't have to. Assembled dry, you probably won't have any issues during the warranty period (important to them), beyond that time period, many mechanics WISH that they had used something on the bolts that are seized and snapping off during disassembly.
Right now, the small bolts that hold the zinc to the lower motor bracket on my motor are seized and will shear off if I try too hard to unscrew them. When it comes time to replace that zinc, I'm going to grind the bolt head off and slip the old zinc off and deal with the seized bolt with some heat and vice grips. You didn't have to hear about my problem, but what I'm getting at is "Dry threads is not a good thing"
Any one else with newer outboard motors that may see this, I recommend that you pull the bolts that are submerged underwater and put something on those threads. You'll be glad you did years down the line.

Scott
Last edited by IN2DEEP on Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warthog5

Post by warthog5 »

It's aluminum oxide powder. :(

But then again I've never had a problem with a lower unit bolt either way.
Believe me you will not forget it when one wrings off and you have to drill and tap it.

I use the Permetex Gray Antiseze on them all the time. In fact on one of my motors I pulled it down early so that i could coat the bolts. I changed the water pump at the same time, but it didn't really need it.

NOTE: DO NOT use the Antiseze that is Copper colored around any Outboard.

I had a little 25Hp Rude that took me 3 days to get apart without breaking the stud that was at the forward end of the foot. Heat from Oxy/Act torch and lot's of penetrating lube.

The corosion was between the housing and the stud and had it jammed up.
The regular bolts came out fine.
Jay Perrotta
Sponsor/Donator

Post by Jay Perrotta »

Don't know why you need me, Dave - great answers from knowledgable owners already!

Stainless and aluminum get along fairly well even though they are pretty far apart on the galvanic scale.

This is due to the fact that both alloys protect themselves by forming oxide coatings (passivation). This is especially true where there is a large area of aluminum alloy and a small area of steel alloy. The relative surface areas keep any large scale problems from happening.

Having said that you can end up with a welded-on screw or bolt if you don't keep them separate. Not the end of the world but unnecessary and messy looking and some work to then "fix".

As stated before - Tef-gel on the threads and some Delrin between flat surfaces (under a SS antennae base for example). If you don't have Delrin a good (neutral) silicone bed or other appropriate sealant works just fine.

Site looks great and is getting busier all the time - great job!
Jay Perrotta
Jay Perrotta
Sponsor/Donator

Post by Jay Perrotta »

PS - as an aside...

To Dave:

Where am I......?

Well this weekend I'm taking care of my two daughters aged 5 & 6. I have played ponies, chased guinea pigs, participated in a 'dress-up, woken at ungodly hours of the night, made innumerable "snacks", dressed kids to play in the 2' of snow still on the lawn, undressed kids after playing and freezing in the 18 mph wind, located a lost cat and......

To top it all off dressed my two girls in fancy dresses and accompanied them to the annual Freeport father/daughter ball which included me on a dance floor (should never, ever happen).

All of this with no help from my wife who left on Friday afternoon to go winter camping with her girlfriends in the North Woods of Maine!

Now let's examine Dave the bachelor, charter captain from Florida's weekend...

Friday night...Beers with the boys at local watering hole where there are skimpily clad waitress and customers. Home at midnight and check AAB - answer questions post some photos of recent fishing trips and/or gear aquisitions. Sleep in 'til 9:30 saturday morning (no morning charter). Wake up in boxer shorts from Thursday (no wife to complain). Look for clean shorts and t-shirt. Decide that yesterday's shorts are "clean enough" (again - no wife to complain). Walk outside without even checking the weather... (Saturday weather for Jacksonville, FL - High 83 - Freeport, ME - High 31).

Saturday - Check AAB - answer questions, think about going over to THT ...Naaaaah. Fish, eat, drink, fish, eat, drink, scratch, AAB, scratch, snooze, scratch, AAB, fish...beers with the boys, wings, high fat food (no salad, no asparagus), scratch, sleep.

Sunday - Check AAB, give Jay He&% for not answering questions, scratch, put on same shorts from Friday, have a Cheeseburger for breakfast, fish, tackle shop, talk fishing, steak dinner with Dad (again no salad), beers, watch sports, microwave wings and jalapeno poppers, fall asleep on the couch...

Hmmmmm...does this sound fair? :roll:
Jay Perrotta
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Good answer Jay. I just wanted to hear from the resident boat building authority.

So I have tef-gel on my boats fittings?

Hey, I eat plenty of salads and veggies. And the day I recieved my boat I quite drinking beer. Staying off carbs and red meat. But the rest is correct to a degree...Golf is my TV sport, it's alot like fishing.

Oh BTW... We bachelors called it "life by design"....Kinda like Sienfelds, George Costanza's theory: "If everything you've ever done was wrong, then the opposite must be right."

If I had kids I'd like little girls. They're the most fun when fishing together, other than that I'm unknowledgeable.

I guess I better tef-gel my Honda :?: :shock: :?:

As Rosanna Rosanna Danna always says.... "It's always something!"
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Dave , we have your #. LOL

Jay , just wait till your in the Grandpa club. :D
Lester,
IN2DEEP

Post by IN2DEEP »

blacklabmarine wrote:PS - as an aside...

To Dave:

Where am I......?

Well this weekend I'm taking care of my two daughters aged 5 & 6. I have played ponies, chased guinea pigs, participated in a 'dress-up, woken at ungodly hours of the night, made innumerable "snacks", dressed kids to play in the 2' of snow still on the lawn, undressed kids after playing and freezing in the 18 mph wind, located a lost cat and......

To top it all off dressed my two girls in fancy dresses and accompanied them to the annual Freeport father/daughter ball which included me on a dance floor (should never, ever happen).

All of this with no help from my wife who left on Friday afternoon to go winter camping with her girlfriends in the North Woods of Maine!

Friday night...Beers with the boys at local watering hole where there are skimpily clad waitress and customers. Home at midnight and check AAB - answer questions post some photos of recent fishing trips and/or gear aquisitions. Sleep in 'til 9:30 saturday morning (no morning charter). Wake up in boxer shorts from Thursday (no wife to complain). Look for clean shorts and t-shirt. Decide that yesterday's shorts are "clean enough" (again - no wife to complain). Walk outside without even checking the weather... (Saturday weather for Jacksonville, FL - High 83 - Freeport, ME - High 31).

Saturday - Check AAB - answer questions, think about going over to THT ...Naaaaah. Fish, eat, drink, fish, eat, drink, scratch, AAB, scratch, snooze, scratch, AAB, fish...beers with the boys, wings, high fat food (no salad, no asparagus), scratch, sleep.

Sunday - Check AAB, give Jay He&% for not answering questions, scratch, put on same shorts from Friday, have a Cheeseburger for breakfast, fish, tackle shop, talk fishing, steak dinner with Dad (again no salad), beers, watch sports, microwave wings and jalapeno poppers, fall asleep on the couch...

That's pretty dang funny. :lol:

You sound like you know him like a brother
v26wa

Post by v26wa »

blacklabmarine wrote:PS - as an aside...

To Dave:

Where am I......?

I havent laughed that hard in a long time !! I had Coke come out my nose when I first read this ! .... scratch <----- hahahahah !!!!!

Thank You Jay !!!
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Jay you mean you didn't have a "Honey Do" list on top of all that???? :D

You're a good dad!!!

FYI...I loaded the _hit out of my motor bolts when I hung the motor....can't hurt
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Problem is, that was himself when he was a swingging single guy. :lol: :lol: My life isn't as glamorous as depicted......Fellas.

And Moderators...moderate.

And I wasn't giving Jay hell, I just wanted to hear from "the man".

And even after all this, I still have unanswered questions, that now I'm probably not going to get answered. Not a good thing.
Jay Perrotta
Sponsor/Donator

Post by Jay Perrotta »

JETTYWOLF wrote:Problem is, that was himself when he was a swingging single guy. :lol: :lol: My life isn't as glamorous as depicted......Fellas.

And even after all this, I still have unanswered questions, that now I'm probably not going to get answered. Not a good thing.
Sounds as if you didn't appreciate the humor...sorry. Sometimes humor doesn't work in writing.

More than happy to answer any questions - fire away!
Jay Perrotta
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I was just defending all the laughter, Jay. From everyone else. :lol:

Believe me, no one is more resilient than I, or able to cut-up with the best.

My question(s) that remain are:

So, I have this grey colored stuff around the fasteners of my trim tabs etc.
A: Is that Tef-gel or just a kind of silicone? And if silicone what's an example of the brand name? Tef-gel says thier stuff remains goowy. I've already just used a high quality Teflon paste on a few very small addition, I made of two BlueSeas cable clams, inside the false transom.

I have many other fasteners, the wire chase behind the windshield, the pole holders, the C-120 mounting bracket. B: Is there a Silicone or tef-gel in those fastener holes, and if not should I apply some in the future, to defend the screw or bolt?

The reason I ask, as you explained that it's important with large SS to Alloy surfaces, and (don't know how you worded it) but not as crucial with small surfaces such as a small screw or bolt.

A good purpose of this forum is to get an understanding of all the things that do not come to mind during the purchase.

It's really too bad some of the other boat builders do not join and come here and do as well of a job of helping, as you do.
It's that companies loss.

I hope others will benefit from these BLM questions.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

blacklabmarine wrote:
JETTYWOLF wrote:Problem is, that was himself when he was a swingging single guy. :lol: :lol: My life isn't as glamorous as depicted......Fellas.

Sounds as if you didn't appreciate the humor...sorry. Sometimes humor doesn't work in writing.

More than happy to answer any questions - fire away!

Jay , don't back down man, Dave can take it. :lol:
Lester,
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Hey..do I have to moderate you welder? :shock:

I hope my questions I re-asked, don't get lost now in all the snow.
cptom
Donator '10

Post by cptom »

Now that Jetywolf is going offshore and jigging with "butterflies" he has become sensitive. Next thing we know he will be wearing socks with his croks.
Just kidding Dave, hope the chilly weather isn't hurting your charters this week. It was in the low 50's for you northerners
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic