Sharkhide Advice

General boating discussion
wetwhopper

Sharkhide Advice

Post by wetwhopper »

I'm getting ready to pick up my new 20' aluminum Koffler boat next week and was wondering what some of you salts would do prior to getting the hull wet? It's an all welded .125" sides w, a .190" bottom. I don't want a shiny hull; but, is it worth it to add Sharkhide to the virgin hull, or just let it oxidize. I've read the oxidation process is beneficial and actually helps protect the aluminum. I'm all ears. It sucks always being the "rookie" around here. :mrgreen:

Thanks!
"A lean dog is a mean dog and the mean dog always gets the bone!"
welder
Site Admin

Re: Sharkhide Advice

Post by welder »

1st off, ask them [ the builder] if they put a CLEAR COAT of anything on the hull. If not , I would sharkhide it to keep it looking like you got it.
The owner of Shark hide is a member here, tbirder . http://www.sharkhide.com
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
wetwhopper

Post by wetwhopper »

Check :thumbsup:
Thanks!
cape steve

Post by cape steve »

I have an 05 pacific. It has a shark hide finish that is starting to show some wear. Has anyone touched up or redone their sharkhide? How difficult is the process, any before and after photos?

although the hull is obviously tough, the finish is kind of fragile. My advice is to use fenders and do your best to avoid rubbing the dock or anything else. rub rails would be nice
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

cape steve wrote:I have an 05 pacific. It has a shark hide finish that is starting to show some wear. Has anyone touched up or redone their sharkhide? How difficult is the process, any before and after photos?

although the hull is obviously tough, the finish is kind of fragile. My advice is to use fenders and do your best to avoid rubbing the dock or anything else. rub rails would be nice
Did you strip your hull down and Shark Hide it or are you talking about the factory finish, Nyalic .
Lester,
cape steve

Post by cape steve »

sorry you are right it has a Nyalic finish, not sharkhide
Tin Cup
Donator10, 22

Post by Tin Cup »

Interesting thread, can you describe the wear that you are seeing? Maybe a photo?
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

My Nyalic is wearing off due to Docks, Trailer guide on rails, Fenders in the same spot and Gas burping out the vents. Mine is just shy of 6 years old and I don't baby the finish to much,
One day I might do something or just let it turn dark gray.
Lester,
rocky_taco

Post by rocky_taco »

I like sharkhide protectant and polish. Also, the owner of the company was very helpful in the restoration process. I had several phone calls with him on the polishing phase of the project. Here's a few pictures. 1954 ish boat. It was my great grandfather's.
It was sold at a sporting goods store in Grand Rapids Michigan with their name on it. Unfortunately the tag came off so I don't know the exact year of the boat or the name of the store that sold it. Near as I can tell, it was a rebadged sea nymph. I caught my first salmon out of this boat. Needless to say, it's a cool boat.

http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s196 ... ?start=all
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Looks like my first boat. Oh how I wish I still had that thing (1974 aluma-craft) and they don't build them like this any longer that's fer sure.

I had a new 20 Merc on mine, when I got rid of it for a 19' glass boat.

You didn't tell us the "steps" you went thru, or were told about by Mr. Sharkhide.
rocky_taco

Post by rocky_taco »

JETTYWOLF wrote:You didn't tell us the "steps" you went thru, or were told about by Mr. Sharkhide.

Well, jettywolf, on a boat as ratted out as this one was, it turns out you are best off starting with a DA sander. I think i started with 60 grit and worked to around 400 grit. Then, it turns out that a slower speed with the polish is better. Probably should have sanded to 600 grit or better, but I got sick of sanding. A local boy welded up a hole in the front from beaching on rocks and a feller from the Holland area sprayed the Zolotone on the interior for me. Bought the electric start 4 stroke honda off craig's list for 900 bucks. picked up a couple seats, rod holders etc. Now my Dad has a nice boat and hopefully, it won't be mine for a very long time. We've been stacking the steelhead up in her the last couple years. Last year was the best year I've had in some time. Nothing fancy, high line with NON ALLOY rods and flatfish. But, we get to hear the drag scream now and again. What fun. Had one launch last year and do 3 summer salts in the air. Never done any salt water fishing. But, steelhead might be as good as it gets in Michigan. At least in my mind.
wetwhopper

Post by wetwhopper »

Great story. Wow, after seeing your restoration I'm kinda wishing I would of used the stuff on my Alumaweld... might have gotten a few more dollars for her with some Sharkhide and elbow grease. Nice post, hope you and your dad put the steelhead on the endangered list Lol!
cape steve

Post by cape steve »

Attached are photos of wear and tear on nayalic finish. This is about as bad as it ever looks and not a big issue for me. When the boat is cleaned up it looks better. However if there was an easy fix I would be interested.
100_0184.JPG
100_0184.JPG (43.5 KiB) Viewed 9439 times
tbirder

Post by tbirder »

Hi all,
This is Clint from Flatwater inc. I own the company that produces Sharkhide products.
First of all, my family and I want to thank all of you that are helping your fellow boaters with your Sharkhide tips. It means a lot to us.
If I can answer any questions, please feel free to fire away. I'll do my best to help with your projects.
Clint
CHECK US OUT AT
www.sharkhide.com
cape steve

Post by cape steve »

Thanks, Clint. Take a look at the pictures above. The marks on the finish are scuff marks from contact with docks, fenders, etc etc. The boat has a nyalic finish original from pacific 6 years old. Overall the hull is in good shape. Anything that can be done to touch up these areas? Could sharkhide be used here?
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

tbirder wrote:Hi all,
This is Clint from Flatwater inc. I own the company that produces Sharkhide products.
First of all, my family and I want to thank all of you that are helping your fellow boaters with your Sharkhide tips. It means a lot to us.
If I can answer any questions, please feel free to fire away. I'll do my best to help with your projects.
Clint

How would you touch up the boat in the photo above? My 1925 has some of the same type of spots.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
ChiefDavis

Post by ChiefDavis »

rocky_taco wrote:I like sharkhide protectant and polish. Also, the owner of the company was very helpful in the restoration process. I had several phone calls with him on the polishing phase of the project. Here's a few pictures. 1954 ish boat. It was my great grandfather's.
It was sold at a sporting goods store in Grand Rapids Michigan with their name on it. Unfortunately the tag came off so I don't know the exact year of the boat or the name of the store that sold it. Near as I can tell, it was a rebadged sea nymph. I caught my first salmon out of this boat. Needless to say, it's a cool boat.

http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s196 ... ?start=all

Absolutely awesome!!! That is a beautiful boat! Can you tell me what all you did to get it to that point? :beer:
rocky_taco

Post by rocky_taco »

ChiefDavis wrote:Absolutely awesome!!! That is a beautiful boat! Can you tell me what all you did to get it to that point? :beer:
http://www.sharkhide.com/apinfo.html

there is a video in this link that shows a bit about how to polish/clean. A variable speed polisher is a must. You really want to polish slow. This was counterintuitive to me.

I wrote an article I tried to get published in a Michigan hunting/fishing magazine. If I can find it, I’ll post it. It had all the details. Cliff’s notes:
Welded hole in bow.
DA’d and wire brushed the inside.
3M 4200 all the inside seams
Zolotone paint the interior with a cream color that has blue splatters in it.
DA’d, polished, sealed the outside.
Copied the old wood transom parts on new marine plywood.
Stained the plywood a blue color and clear coated.
Picked up some tempress all weather quick detach boat seats blue.
Blue shadow decals for the name / number.
8HP electric start Honda off Craig’s list.
Anchor wizard anchor system
Two tite-lok clamp on rod holders.
cape steve

Post by cape steve »

Do you think it is possible to spot treat and get a good result, or would the whole hull need to be stripped and polished?
rocky_taco

Post by rocky_taco »

cape steve wrote:Do you think it is possible to spot treat and get a good result, or would the whole hull need to be stripped and polished?
You just wipe the sealer on. I don't see why you couldn't just wipe it on one area. Maybe you could just clean the spots up some and then reseal the whole boat. It's fairly easy. My biggest concern would be to confirm that the sharkhide is compatable with the stuff that's on the boat now. Give the sharkhide guy a call. He was very helpful in explaining how to use his product. Then post what he says about the touch-up. Maybe someone else will be interested in the information.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic