Transom savers...any science here?

General boating discussion
netman

Transom savers...any science here?

Post by netman »

I have had a couple transom savers on my rig that have not held up like I would expect. As with most with a welder I am going to make my own. Is there any science behind them? like angle of motor for traveling on the trailer? During the winter I haul my boat all over fishing and launch and load my boat up to five different times a day. I am wanting to keep my transom stout and avoid any roadway bouncing tearing up action while traveling. I am currently trailering my boat/motor with the motor down in the running position as my trailer sits high enough to avoing hitting anything on the highway.
Thanks
Randy
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Re: Transom savers...any science here?

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I always thought they were only for giant O/B's on flimsy plastic bass boats, where the owners were so "anal" aboat everything that it was one of those must have "snake oil things."

My engine is too low to keep down so I prop the trim/tilt on a piece of nice soft wood (block) with notches in it so it fits nice and tight.....to keep any bouncy stuff to a minimum,maybe.

Always have used just a piece of lumber instead of a fancy item. My own version of a DIY item.
wetwhopper

Post by wetwhopper »

Sounds like a great idea. Could you post a pic? I'm a "visual" guy. Lol!
"A lean dog is a mean dog and the mean dog always gets the bone!"
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Here's my transom-saver. Not really, just a way to raise and rest motor trim on something, jus' in case. Rather than all the way up (which is too HIGH, in my book) and on that small stand that's "NOT" made to be used when trailering (cuz it can break) Instead, I've ALWAYS done this:
Notches, for a tight fit.
Trim rams make comfy dents in soft pine. I don't make it real tight, just barely touching a bit.
That's all I need for heigth. I have everything lined up, so when I back her under her boat-port, the skeg doesn't poke thru my garage door, and I have a big stop block the tires hit, for perfect parking.
wetwhopper

Post by wetwhopper »

Oh ya. Thanks for the visual. Nice and simple. I'm going to have to steal your idea about having something to back into for the perfect parking job... another great idea. I just poured a concrete pad for my boat and put some 4x4' brackets in the concrete for an eventual boat port (my garage is way too small) and plumbed some PVC for gutters (alot of rain in PACIFIC BEACH, WA. U.S.A.) I know you are a location Nazi. It might be awhile though... I'm broke and have alot of odds and ends to buy for the boat. :banghead: Until then... she'll have to sit on the driveway with a couple coats of Sharkhide, but hey... that's why we go with aluminum right? :thumbsup:
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Thank you Wetwhopper from:
PACIFIC BEACH, WA. U.S.A.

If only more would follow along.... :mrgreen:

It's all perfect for me. I have the boat in front of my 2 car garage, that is jus a shop now. Backed into the door too many times, then when the whole garage door fell on the deck one time I spent $750 I didn't have and got a new one, along withe a 16' 4x4 post, inwhich I staked down thru the concrete driveway with rebar sections drove into the dirt under the concrete.

With the motor propped up just that much, I hot the stop block post laying on the driveway and am perfectly positioned inside my boat-port, that also has two huge sunup to sundown spot lights pointing the way.

Yep, it took awhile for me to get it all right and working too.

You builder applies nothing to the outside of the boat??????

Did ya watch the Sharkhide "how-too" youtube videos I posted????
wetwhopper

Post by wetwhopper »

Just bare aluminum, unless you go for paint which I opted out of. I asked him about SharkHide and he highly approved, but said it's not necessary. I'm just going to put a protective coating, I'm not going for the "full-on" shine/polished finish. I'm going to have to wait till next payday... I'm broke! So she'll have to get a little salty without the coating for a couple weeks. Hopefully that won't be a problem???
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

I use M-Ywedge
http://www.m-ywedge.com/instructions.htm
Tilt motor up, slip on then, lower the engine.
Cost depending on where you get it.
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
drookit

Post by drookit »

JETTYWOLF wrote:I always thought they were only for giant O/B's on flimsy plastic bass boats, where the owners were so "anal" aboat everything that it was one of those must have "snake oil things."
The owners manual that came with the 1987 Suzuki DT65 on my boat recommends one. I think it's the first time I've seen one mentioned in an owners manual of a motor I've owned.

Think I'd be embarrassed to use one here in AK because all I've ever seen anyone use is the block of wood.

Ken
1985 Almar Lite 16'
1987 Suzuki 65hp
? Johnson 8hp kicker.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

That is interesting......Owners manuals rarely "hook-up" with outside products, unless they sell it themselves re-branded.

The block O' wood is cheaper.
wetwhopper

Post by wetwhopper »

Reading through my 8 hp Merc manual and it recommends a transom saver. Priced them at Cabela's... OUCH! I'm going for the "bloc of wood...way cheaper and does the same thing + it looks kinda commercial fishermanish (as I beat my chest). :rotfl:

I'm gonna one-up jettywolf and find a 4x4 with barnacles attached. :nutkick: Lol!!!

K.I.S.S. Thanks again wolfman.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

What they are "probably" not reccomending is to trailer the boat down a bumpy road utilizing the flimsy bracket that's attached to the motor mount.

And the word "transom saver" is a buzz word for anything to keep the motor from bouncing on the trim/tilt mechanisms.

Okay, now let's practice NOT splitting hairs into nano cells.
wetwhopper

Post by wetwhopper »

Mercury Outboards Owner Manual
Transporting p. 68

Trailer your boat with the outboard tilted in a vertical operating position.
If additional ground clearance is required, the outboard should be tilted up using an accessory outboard support device. Refer to your local dealer for recommendations.

IMPORTANT: Do not rely on the power trim/tilt system or tilt support lever to maintain proper ground clearance for trailering. The outboard tilt lever is not intended to support the outboard for trailering.

:thumbsup:
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

where's the word "transom saver" :?:
wetwhopper

Post by wetwhopper »

The Mercury lawyers prefer the term, "accessory outboard support device."
BrianW

Post by BrianW »

I'm a bit of a lurker, but thought I add something here...

The block of wood has always been a great tool for preventing strain on the trim/tilt mechanism, but doesn't do much for supporting the weight of the engine on the transom. If you are looking to relieve some weight from the transom, you'll need something that comes off the trailer, like the "Transom Savers" they sell just for that purpose.

I'm not making an argument for transom savers, just pointing out what I think is the difference.
Brian
Katoh

Post by Katoh »

Hope its not a stupid question would I be advised to use one on my stern drive a swell while towing?

Katoh
Cheers
Katoh
I maybe slow, but I'm bloody rough!
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Thanks for the input. I hope everyone knows that.....I did.

But then again, if your tuff azz alloy boat's transom is that weak, ya may wanna get a new one. :rotfl: :rotfl:

That's why on those bass boats with huge motors and that tiny plastic transom it could be important, especially on the those bumpy roads to that far off bass lake.

C'Cmon..... :thumbsup:

Lurking huh?
No need to lurk, we don't bite.....at least some of us don't.
Katoh

Post by Katoh »

Wasn't thinking so much of the transom more for just taking the pressure of the hydraulics and having a support for the leg, the oz boat's pretty tough and would a beating back there, but not sure about the Volvo thing'y hanging of the back tho.

Katoh
Cheers
Katoh
I maybe slow, but I'm bloody rough!
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Good point........."outdrives", the other boaters. :rotfl: :rotfl:
I believe I've seen the "wood block" used down that low too.
Tin Cup
Donator10, 22

Post by Tin Cup »

I also use the my wedge product, it works great and installs in seconds. If it ever needs replacing I'll make one out of wood on the table saw.
Lucky Louie
Contributor

Post by Lucky Louie »

JETTYWOLF wrote: Lurking huh?
No need to lurk, we don't bite.....at least some of us don't.
And MOST of those that do have had their shots........ :skillet:
netman

Post by netman »

Any pics on mywedge in action. How far is the lower unit tilted up. Neat product. Randy
wetwhopper

Post by wetwhopper »

Goattram has a pretty neat little device to assist keeping the motor tilted up. Maybe when he's done cleaning all the blood of his boat he'd post a pic of it?
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Tin Cup wrote:I also use the my wedge product, it works great and installs in seconds. If it ever needs replacing I'll make one out of wood on the table saw.

HUH????

I've seen loads of products out there that do the same thing that we're all talking 'bout. Especially, one for merc guys.
It's two aluminum tubes, with a bracket. Goes over the piston rams and has a bracket that fits onto the motor mid-section down yonder.

So, what's a "wedge"??

Here's mine....probably a full second, if my trim/tilt motor was quicker. :rotfl: :rotfl:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic